IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question About Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 04:01 PM
EricTsang
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question About Bluetooth

I tried searching, but I couldn't quite find the answer.

If, I have two bluetooth phones and they are both in the vehicle at the same time, for some reason neither of them connect. Is there a way to set a default to have preference over all other phones?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 09-24-11, 04:41 PM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't been able to get my phone (HTC Evo) to connect since the day after purchase. The salesman got it to connect before I left dealership and it worked fine. Nice and clear reception.
Old 09-24-11, 05:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You can only have one connected at a time. Go to the info screen, telephone, and select telephone. Select the phone you want to be paired and hit ok. A little BT symbol should appear next to the phone. Also go into your phone and your bluetooth menu to select "HandsFree or CarMultiMedia" if the above doesn't work.

Here's some of my BT troubleshooting advice enjoy!

BLUETOOTH TROUBLESHOOTING:

How to set-up Bluetooth; With Navigation:

We’ll use an iPhone4 for ex. Go to
- Settings
- General
- Bluetooth
- make sure bluetooth is on (slide on/off)
- Below that is "Devices" or "search device"
- On the phone, select the "hands-free" 2009 below or “Car Multi Media” 2010+ under search device. It should begin paring and prompt you for the passkey. Enter it and select "pair". It may say it's paired but not connected. If this is the case, then select "hands-free" one more time.

From the car:
- Car on/acc mode
- Info
- Telephone
- Settings
- Register phone
- it'll bring up a menu that has a passkey and looks like it's ready to pair
- Pair

Just to double check that the phone is paired to the car, from info-telephone-settings-select phone. The phone should be in the system now with a little "BT" symbol next to it.

For Non Navigation Models:
Use the push to talk switch and the voice should layout some commands. One of which is "phone set-up". Say phone set-up and continue with the voice instructions by hitting the push to talk switch and saying "yes" "pair phone" etc... Meanwhile from the bluetooth menu in your phone (probably under settings, make sure the phone is set to "discoverable mode". Once the phone is searching, "Hands Free" should show up on your phone. Select the pair button and you should be prompted with a pass key (four digits + enter) it's usually 1111 or 1212 etc...

________
Other Troubleshoots:

UPDATE YOUR SMARTPHONES:
Make sure your smartphones are turned off every now and then. They are just like a computer and need to be updated. Sometimes if a phone misses an update, the result is the Bluetooth connection unpairing with the car.

With BlackBerry’s, the most common troubleshoot is to remove the battery from the phone, blow on it and turn the phone back on. Yes it’s a PITA because BB takes forever to load, but it typically works. If this doesn't work either, you can try repairing the phone by deleting it out of the phone and car and following new pairing instructions:

MY PHONE HAS BEEN PAIRED BUT NOT WORKING:
If the phone is not working (but already paired), a common troubleshoot is the bluetooth on the phone could be turned off (happens on mine from time to time). Set the phone to discoverable mode and make sure the bluetooth is set to "on". You should see the bluetooth symbol somewhere on the phones top banner.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 09-24-11 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 05:35 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladius
I haven't been able to get my phone (HTC Evo) to connect since the day after purchase. The salesman got it to connect before I left dealership and it worked fine. Nice and clear reception.
I've got my HTC Sensation tied to my 2006 IS350...the EVO is the brother to the Sensation. You're doing something wrong there.

OP, I had the same problem actually with me and my GFs Blackberries in the Lex...so I just removed her phone, as I am the only driver anyways.
Old 09-24-11, 09:51 PM
EricTsang
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the help everyone.

The car is NAV, my main issue is when both phones are present at the same time in the car. They are both paired. For some reason the car doesn't connect to either phone and one has to be selected manually within the menu. Is there a way to set it so that the car will have an order of preference to automatically choose a phone when multiple phones are in the car?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 09-24-11, 09:58 PM
Adik
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turn off the bluetooth on the other phone.... so it will automatically connect to the other one
Old 09-24-11, 10:45 PM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I've got my HTC Sensation tied to my 2006 IS350...the EVO is the brother to the Sensation. You're doing something wrong there.
I know....I just wish I knew what it was. I just did an update to the phone and will try again tomorrow.
Old 09-25-11, 07:31 AM
tjschraf
Driver

does anyone know if there is something to automatically connect everytime i get into my car? Because i always have to select hands free from my blackberry before it connects. is there a way to get it to automatically connect?
Old 09-25-11, 08:39 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by tjschraf
does anyone know if there is something to automatically connect everytime i get into my car? Because i always have to select hands free from my blackberry before it connects. is there a way to get it to automatically connect?
I don't know what options you have to select, but on the 8900 series BB I had it to auto-select the phone once in the cabin. GL!
Old 09-25-11, 12:00 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

i also have a problem transferring my iphone contacts to my car phonebook.... anyone else?