IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Horrible ride quality after Linea Corse LC818 install

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 07:59 PM
Nuckingfut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, very good to hear! Thank you for doing the research to clarify.
Old 09-23-11, 01:19 PM
Black04IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by dackp143
Negative. DO NOT max out unless you have a very heavy load. I had 20s on my 22 passenger Escalade limousine and both 10 passenger Chrysler 300 limos. Max PSI - 50lbs. According to most tire shops I come in contact with they all say to put it at max load because of all the weight on the wheels.. why? I assume because if I don't then all that weight will smash the crap out of the tire.

Then this past week at Butler Tire (LINK) when I got Nitrogen put in my new Linea Corse 19s, Butler Tire told me, as did someone else on the forum, to use the cars recommended PSI as stated in the door jam. I'll trust Butler Tire 100% more than anyone else on these forums as Butler Tire puts wheels and tires on Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lexus, Aston Martin's,Lambo's and more. Just my 2¢

Take a look: GALLERY

I NEVER SAID RUN MAX PSI !!!!!!!!!! I have worked in more than one tire shop and always REFERENCED the max PSI to figure out where to set it at

I have seen max PSI on tires run from 35 to 50+ , there for different tires require different PSI.

Last edited by Black04IS; 09-23-11 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 01:29 PM
TheSenator
Pole Position

What does max PSI have to do with recommended pressures of the car manufacturer?

If I had one set of tires max 44psi and one set that's 50psi,
I'm not going to raise the recommended psi a certain percentage just because one has a higher load rating.
Old 09-23-11, 01:40 PM
Black04IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheSenator
What does max PSI have to do with recommended pressures of the car manufacturer?

If I had one set of tires max 44psi and one set that's 50psi,
I'm not going to raise the recommended psi a certain percentage just because one has a higher load rating.
For instance our temporary spare has a max of 60psi , this should not be run at 35 like the door jam says. All I am trying to do is let people know that the sticker recommendation is not set in stone , especially when you are running a completely different size wheel and tire than lexus had in mind when they made the recommendation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojGsavK0Uwc

and to bring this full circle i can almost guarantee that the OP running a tire at 40 psi ( +5 in the front and +3 psi in the rear ) will not cause the problems described.

Last edited by Black04IS; 09-23-11 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 02:54 PM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Black04IS
and to bring this full circle i can almost guarantee that the OP running a tire at 40 psi ( +5 in the front and +3 psi in the rear ) will not cause the problems described.
I fully agree with that.

OP: Did you ever figure it out yet?
Old 09-24-11, 12:37 PM
mikelexF
Rookie

Originally Posted by dackp143
Here you go:
1. With stock suspension, the 19" LC818s will fit without issue as long as you have the hubcentric rings?
A: CORRECT. They will go right on the car AFTER you inserted the hubcentric rings. Pop them into the wheel before putting it on the car. Here is a random photo from Google of a guy adding the rings to his rims: CLICK HERE.

2. And you don't need any spacers front or rear?
A: Front wheels need NOTHING. Just add wheel
Rear wheels need a 5mm spacer ONLY IF you are wanting to use the LC818 center cap. Don't care about using the center cap? Then you don't need a spacer in the rear.

3. What lugnuts will work (stock??)
A. NO stock lug nuts will NOT work. They will not fit into the socket of the LC818 wheel. You need to guy buy a pair of skinny locking lugs like these: CLICK HERE.
just a comment on the rear wheel caps.. i have the exact wheels on my F. offset are 30+ front 38+ rear. If you look at the inside of the cap there is an "X" shape from the molding process i think.. i just carefully chiseled it out and the caps FIT. I also heard people having success with grinding it too. Hope this helps

Last edited by mikelexF; 09-24-11 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 02:40 PM
mikelexF
Rookie

My experience with lc 818 are still unresolved...

19" lc818 matte black w hankook 235/35/19F 275/30/19R

I'll try keep this brief as much as i can>>>

-wheeldude sent wheels installed and balanced
-when i first got the wheels there was a vibration, a "shimmy" at high speed. Around 60mp/h.
-got all wheels balanced again. vibrations were still there...
-Next i got the all 4 wheels laser aligned. Still vibrations....

-finally i went to get the all four tires "road-force" balanced
-tech told me there was something wrong w the rear right wheel/tire, that there is a certain % of vibration that a tire should make and it was way out of the range.. i told him fine lets change the tire.

-Once we changed the tire he said there wasn't much improvement and told me he will put the old on back on. after installing the old tire back on he said that the tire was ok and that it balanced relatively fine (meaning the vibration is at minimum) he said that he rotated the tire to another position and was now spinning ok. i really have no idea whats going on with these rims and tires. tech told me the rim may be a slightly warped.. tech also said these symtoms are common on "non-hubcentric" rims.

By this time i've given up. shimmy is still there but i've gotten used to it. when these rims come off for the winter i will have them inspected by a wheel repair shop for uniformity.
Will change tires too next summer to yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08.

Btw Zoeb at wheeldude is a real standup guy. he offered to help as much as possible. If there was something wrong with the rim that he would change it. i just decided not to bother with shipping and all the headache.

I love the look of these rims and i'm hoping by next year i can have this resolved and have a smooth ride

dackp143, i hope u resolve ur wheel/tire issues. just thought id share my experience as they are similar.
Old 09-24-11, 02:50 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

praying i don't have these issues when i finally receive my wheels in late october.
Old 09-24-11, 09:26 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikelexF
My experience with lc 818 are still unresolved...

19" lc818 matte black w hankook 235/35/19F 275/30/19R

I'll try keep this brief as much as i can>>>

-wheeldude sent wheels installed and balanced
-when i first got the wheels there was a vibration, a "shimmy" at high speed. Around 60mp/h.
-got all wheels balanced again. vibrations were still there...
-Next i got the all 4 wheels laser aligned. Still vibrations....

-finally i went to get the all four tires "road-force" balanced
-tech told me there was something wrong w the rear right wheel/tire, that there is a certain % of vibration that a tire should make and it was way out of the range.. i told him fine lets change the tire.

-Once we changed the tire he said there wasn't much improvement and told me he will put the old on back on. after installing the old tire back on he said that the tire was ok and that it balanced relatively fine (meaning the vibration is at minimum) he said that he rotated the tire to another position and was now spinning ok. i really have no idea whats going on with these rims and tires. tech told me the rim may be a slightly warped.. tech also said these symtoms are common on "non-hubcentric" rims.

By this time i've given up. shimmy is still there but i've gotten used to it. when these rims come off for the winter i will have them inspected by a wheel repair shop for uniformity.
Will change tires too next summer to yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08.

Btw Zoeb at wheeldude is a real standup guy. he offered to help as much as possible. If there was something wrong with the rim that he would change it. i just decided not to bother with shipping and all the headache.

I love the look of these rims and i'm hoping by next year i can have this resolved and have a smooth ride

dackp143, i hope u resolve ur wheel/tire issues. just thought id share my experience as they are similar.
Good looking out and I'm sorry about your vibrations though. Do remember though that these wheels ARE HUBCENTRIC. You need to buy the rings!

\\\\\Here is the update/////...

Took my car to Butler and ran into some issues with the ever so exciting Linea Corse LC818 wheel:

1. In the REAR you must have a 5mm spacer in order to use the Linea Corse center cap. If you do not have a 5mm spacer (at least on MY IS350) then you can't put the center cap on as the hub sticks out ever so slightly. This is BS on Linea Corse's part.

2. When using a spacer, make sure you DO NOT use a universal spacer like the one Linea Corse will sell you cause they are NOT hubcentric spacers thus causing possible wheel vibrations.

3. If you still use the Linea Corse spacer, an elongated wheel lug will also NOT work as it will not fit inside the hole for the stud.

4. I went with Nitrogen filled tires at 35F and 37R PSI.

5. Torqued the wheels to spec

6. Alignment

7. High-speed balance.

8. PERFECT. Now barely any vibrations and I bought the ISF steering dampner which will be here Tuesday

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Old 09-24-11, 09:27 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikelexF
just a comment on the rear wheel caps.. i have the exact wheels on my F. offset are 30+ front 38+ rear. If you look at the inside of the cap there is an "X" shape from the molding process i think.. i just carefully chiseled it out and the caps FIT. I also heard people having success with grinding it too. Hope this helps
I'll take a look at this! Right now I like the look of it with the spacer though when I drop it next weekend I might change my mind.. Thx!
Old 09-28-11, 06:16 PM
99bb6
Driver School Candidate

It's not that zoeb can't get replacements, how he explained it to me when I broke my rear wheel was that these wheels aren't as popular on a Lexus as say a BMW, so he doesn't order many shipments in Lexus fitment meaning you have to wait until 20 orders in Lexus fitment are ordered before you can get your 1 replacement because he will not order just one wheel. Then it will take at least 3 months to get the replacement, that is when he gets 20 orders in Lexus fitment and who knows how long that will take? Not to mention they are chipping like crazy and I don't use harsh degreasers on my wheels, just soap and water. I also have horrible road noise like mentioned above and ride quality is horrible as well.
Old 09-28-11, 06:22 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99bb6
It's not that zoeb can't get replacements, how he explained it to me when I broke my rear wheel was that these wheels aren't as popular on a Lexus as say a BMW, so he doesn't order many shipments in Lexus fitment meaning you have to wait until 20 orders in Lexus fitment are ordered before you can get your 1 replacement because he will not order just one wheel. Then it will take at least 3 months to get the replacement, that is when he gets 20 orders in Lexus fitment and who knows how long that will take? Not to mention they are chipping like crazy and I don't use harsh degreasers on my wheels, just soap and water. I also have horrible road noise like mentioned above and ride quality is horrible as well.
Yours are chipping?? What state are you in? How long you had your wheels for?
Old 09-28-11, 07:01 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Yikes. Is everyone having issues like these?
Old 09-29-11, 10:31 AM
99bb6
Driver School Candidate

I have less than 10k on the wheels and I do not neglect them. I called to try to get touch up paint from zoeb and I was told they don't make it.
Old 09-29-11, 11:19 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99bb6
I have less than 10k on the wheels and I do not neglect them. I called to try to get touch up paint from zoeb and I was told they don't make it.
What state do you live in? So you clean your wheels with soap, water, and a sponge and they are just chipping away? Which wheel version you have? The LC818?

Quick Reply: Horrible ride quality after Linea Corse LC818 install