IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Horrible ride quality after Linea Corse LC818 install

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 08:32 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to align the wheel on the newer style balancers that can check for WHEEL defects like NON-CENTERED BORE. I had one which wasn't fully centered and that machine detected it and would not let my friend (SHOPowner ) workers balance the wheel. The older wheel balancers wouldn't have been able to detect the excessive run off or drift.

they used something like this
http://www.gsp9700.com/features/index.htm

This is worst case IMO, but the vendor was good as just switching out the bad wheels for some good ones and I had my friend rebalance and check again on their machine to ensure it's good.

Old 09-20-11, 08:42 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 650IS350
Try to align the wheel on the newer style balancers that can check for WHEEL defects like NON-CENTERED BORE. I had one which wasn't fully centered and that machine detected it and would not let my friend (SHOPowner ) workers balance the wheel. The older wheel balancers wouldn't have been able to detect the excessive run off or drift.

they used something like this
http://www.gsp9700.com/features/index.htm

This is worst case IMO, but the vendor was good as just switching out the bad wheels for some good ones and I had my friend rebalance and check again on their machine to ensure it's good.

Good looking out, I'll let you know what kind of equipment the shop is using. The ship is Butler Tire, http://www.butlertire.com, they are pretty much the top place in Atlanta to go at any of their 4 locations. So if you are in Atlanta and are reading this, don't go any where else.

I can't imagine these Nexen's being any different then most other tires as on my IS300 I have ran Toyo's, Nexen's, and even Contnental's and never felt the same crap as this. The road noise is fu**ing stupid.

Last edited by dackp143; 09-20-11 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-20-11, 08:43 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Good luck hopefully it's something simple that can easily be fixed.
Old 09-20-11, 08:43 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dackp143
Great insight BamaIS, I will definitely make sure that Butler Tire adds the correct amount of air (35/37). What do think I should do about suspension? Keep the Tein's that are coming in or send them back and go with Springs?
I can't answer the question regarding suspension. I am running the stock Sport Package suspension on mine. From what I've read, coilovers are going to ride better than a lowering spring. If all you did was change tires and wheels and now your car is loud, it most definitely has to be the tires.
Old 09-20-11, 09:49 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First and foremost, I realize most people always over look this small little detail, wheel torque specs. You're over torquing the wheel by 44lbs, it's supposed to be 76ft lbs, and not 120. That alone is asking to have issues with ride and not to mention putting excessive force on the studs, hub, and brake discs.

Next thing is remove the 5mm spacer and make sure you have the correct hub rings, try it without the spacers. Have the tires road force balanced, and force matched to reduce the over all road force weight. Tell the tech as close to 0 as possible, generally under 15 is optimal.
Old 09-20-11, 10:51 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question, how did you know the lugs were torqued to 120? who torqued them to 120 a stealership tech? you? who gave you the info to torque to 120?
Old 09-20-11, 10:55 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Question, how did you know the lugs were torqued to 120? who torqued them to 120 a stealership tech? you? who gave you the info to torque to 120?
As stated before I am employed by a stealership .. He just grabbed a torque wrench and jammed them to 120. This has been fixed as of now though.
Old 09-20-11, 10:57 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BamaIS
I can't answer the question regarding suspension. I am running the stock Sport Package suspension on mine. From what I've read, coilovers are going to ride better than a lowering spring. If all you did was change tires and wheels and now your car is loud, it most definitely has to be the tires.
I completely agree it has to be the tires. I'm probably going to send the Tein's back and buy the F-Sport suspension as this will be the best route I feel.
Old 09-20-11, 10:58 AM
StpdSavant
Rookie

Since you're going to Butler, I hope that you're getting the on-car wheel balancing. Road force balancing is better than just old fashioned balancing, but it's still not mounted on the car and the rate of rotation is relatively small. Butler claims they'll take it up to 130mph on the car, so that is the type of balancing you want.
Old 09-20-11, 11:13 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

UPDATE: Took my car to Butler and ran into some issues with the ever so exciting Linea Corse LC818 wheel:

1. In the REAR you must have a 5mm spacer in order to use the Linea Corse center cap. If you do not have a 5mm spacer (at least on MY IS350) then you can't put the center cap on as the hub sticks out ever so slightly. This is BS on Linea Corse's part.

2. When using a spacer, make sure you DO NOT use a universal spacer like the one Linea Corse will sell you cause they are not hubcentric thus causing possible wheel vibrations.

3. If you still use the Linea Corse spacer, an elongated wheel lug will also NOT work as it will not fit inside the hole for the stud.

4. I went with Nitrogen filled tires at 35F and 37R PSI.

5. Torqued the wheels to spec

6. Alignment

7. High-speed balance.

Now I'm a little more comfortable on the ride to include a little better sound quality from the tires. I think the toe was a little to far in causing another reason for loud noises... Thanks to all for your help, looks as though I am going to return the Tein's and go with F-Sport shocks/springs.
Old 09-20-11, 11:16 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

I'm running LCs but not the 818 and don't use spacers and no issues with the center cap. Interesting
Old 09-20-11, 04:37 PM
LyleBeach
Driver

Originally Posted by dackp143
UPDATE: 1. In the REAR you must have a 5mm spacer in order to use the Linea Corse center cap. If you do not have a 5mm spacer (at least on MY IS350) then you can't put the center cap on as the hub sticks out ever so slightly. This is BS on Linea Corse's part.
It is possible to sand/dremmel the inside of the center caps enough so that you can still fit them WITHOUT the 5mm spacer.

I know this because I have done just that.
Old 09-21-11, 09:59 PM
Nuckingfut
Driver

I'm still learning what I'll need to do here when I get the gunmetal grey LC818s for my 250 but let me recap to see if I understand:

With stock suspension, the 19" LC818s will fit without issue as long as you have the hubcentric rings?
And you don't need any spacers front or rear?

Am I forgetting/missing anything? Oh, what lugnuts will work (stock??)?
Old 09-21-11, 10:10 PM
Touge
Pole Position

One thing also to keep in mind is the new wheels are I'm sure quite a bit heavier than the original wheels. That increase in un-sprung weight will cause the ride quality to diminish.
Old 09-22-11, 06:47 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

All you should need is the wheels, hubcentric rings, tpm's sensors if you want and some aftermarket lug nuts.

From what I have read, they LC818's are lighter than the OEMs.

Quick Reply: Horrible ride quality after Linea Corse LC818 install