IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I buy the Lexus extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 06:45 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had a Honda or Acura so I've never had the need for a warranty haha just kidding. (yet I've never had one of my S2000's break).

How does the warranty thing work with Lexus? How long is the factory warranty? Do you have to purchase the extended warranty before your existing factory warranty is up?

The three guys you mentioned are the best bet price wise and are the same as buying a warranty from a dealership down the street? Guessing these 100k to 125k warrantys are for bumper to bumper?
Old 12-07-11, 07:02 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Get it from one of the guys mentioned above if you do end up purchasing it. I personally went through Troy and got it WAAAYYYYY below what my dealership wanted for it. I think I got the 7/100K for around $1600-1700. As to if you should get it or not as with everything if you get it you probably won't need it and if you don't you will. The way I look at it is if I get it I'm not going to have to pay for anything that needs to be fixed and it was worth the peace of mine. If the nav goes out it pays for itself. Sunfoof motor or a few window motors its paid for, ext.
Old 12-07-11, 07:44 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I've never bought warranty from any place other than the dealership of whatever car I owned. It just made me feel.more at ease that if anything breaks I'd be covered. Just make sure u read the fine print before deciding where or who to buy from u don't wanna have somethin break down the line and the warranty doesn't cover it
Old 12-07-11, 07:51 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2006 CPO, and got the extended warranty. At first I was hesitant but I decided to do it anyway. Then not too long after my regular warranty had expired, the Nav screen crapped out. That fix cost a few hundred more than my extended warranty.

So like others have said, on this car, or any car with all these electrical features, you'd be crazy not to get an extended warranty
Old 12-07-11, 08:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
I've never bought warranty from any place other than the dealership of whatever car I owned. It just made me feel.more at ease that if anything breaks I'd be covered. Just make sure u read the fine print before deciding where or who to buy from u don't wanna have somethin break down the line and the warranty doesn't cover it
Again, the guys mentioned in this thread ARE Toyota/lexus dealers. They sell you the EXACT SAME warranty your local dealer does... they just charge like $1000 less.

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda

How does the warranty thing work with Lexus? How long is the factory warranty? Do you have to purchase the extended warranty before your existing factory warranty is up?
Bumper to Bumper is 4 yr/50k miles from first date in service. Yes, you have to buy the extended one before that expires.

The three guys you mentioned are the best bet price wise and are the same as buying a warranty from a dealership down the street? Guessing these 100k to 125k warrantys are for bumper to bumper?
Yup, exact same Lexus warranty.

They sell a variety of lengths (anything from 5 yr/75k to 8 yr/125k) they will also sell you 3 different levels of coverage:

Platinum (which is as close to bumper to bumper as you'll get- won't cover like basic trim and wear parts though)

Gold (which never seems worth buying, it's barely cheaper and covers a fair bit less)

Powertrain (just the powertrain components are covered... factory on this coverage is already 6yr/70k miles)

For details on what is covered by what (and to see the insanely high MSRPs) see here:
http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...g&carSelected=
Old 12-07-11, 09:06 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread gives more info on Lexus extended warranties: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html
Old 12-07-11, 11:58 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the links guys. Answered a lot of my questions. So if you wanted you could drive the ISX50 almost worry free for 12 years or 125,000 miles? Whatever comes first. Or is the 8 years not on top of the four years?
Old 12-07-11, 12:46 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Thanks for the links guys. Answered a lot of my questions. So if you wanted you could drive the ISX50 almost worry free for 12 years or 125,000 miles? Whatever comes first. Or is the 8 years not on top of the four years?
EDIT: Clarified based on Kurtz's response below, the following applies to CPO warranties only, VSA warranties apparently are in terms of years/mileage from in-service date:

Not sure why Lexus has to make this so confusing, but actually on extended warranties when they say "X years/Y miles" they mean the warranty runs for X years from the date of purchase OR until the car reaches Y miles. So in Lexus extended warranty nomenclature, the years are years from purchase date (not years from original sale of car) while the miles are total miles, not miles from purchase date.

So the CPO warranty for example is billed as 3 years/100k miles. That means the warranty runs for 3 years from the purchase of the CPO car OR until your car hits 100k miles.

Last edited by calvin2376; 12-08-11 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 06:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Not sure why Lexus has to make this so confusing, but actually on extended warranties when they say "X years/Y miles" they mean the warranty runs for X years from the date of purchase OR until the car reaches Y miles. So in Lexus extended warranty nomenclature, the years are years from purchase date (not years from original sale of car) while the miles are total miles, not miles from purchase date.

So the CPO warranty for example is billed as 3 years/100k miles. That means the warranty runs for 3 years from the purchase of the CPO car OR until your car hits 100k miles.
This isn't quite right...

For regular extended warranties it is years from the original sale date... (called the in service date). This means it overlaps with the factory bumper to bumper, which is 4 yr/50k miles.

So if you buy, say, the 8 year/125k warranty on a 2008 IS350 that was first sold to a customer October 1, 2007... you are covered by the factory warranty until Oct 1 2011 (or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first)... and covered by the extended warranty after that until Oct 1 2015 (or 125k total miles, whichever comes first)

CPO on the other hand is 3 years from when you buy the certified used Lexus, regardless of when it was originally sold as new (or until it reaches 100k total miles)
Old 12-08-11, 06:14 AM
MamadIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend you get the extended warranty. i have a 2006 is350 with 94000 km which i got couple of month ago when it was at 80000 km. about a month ago i started hearing grinding noises coming from the engine when I started the car, so took it to the lexus dealership and they fixed it for free (under power train warranty). now i am hearing knocking noises from the rear left section of the car which i suspect its related to the shocks or something similar. i haven't taken it for diagnosis yet so not sure about this one. based on my experience so far i think its worth getting the extended warranty just to have a piece of mind. other than these problems, i am enjoying this car; it got lots of power and i love it .

Last edited by MamadIS; 12-08-11 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 08:44 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks again for the info! I'll look more into it when my car gets older (purchased in April 2011 and has 4k on it now). Wonder how much things could change between now and then.
Old 12-08-11, 09:08 AM
Jezza911
Driver School Candidate

Im sorry if im being repetitive, but lets say im going to buy a used 06 lexus, and lets say that the original owner did buy the extended warranty, am i therefore allow to buy the extra 3 years offer by Troy Dietrich. BTW i dont actually have an is250 atm, but am planning on buying one before the end of this year thanks.
Old 12-08-11, 10:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jezza911
Im sorry if im being repetitive, but lets say im going to buy a used 06 lexus, and lets say that the original owner did buy the extended warranty, am i therefore allow to buy the extra 3 years offer by Troy Dietrich. BTW i dont actually have an is250 atm, but am planning on buying one before the end of this year thanks.
If the original owner "did buy the extended warranty" then he can transfer it to you for $50. Problem solved.

If buying a used Lexus from a private party that does NOT have an extended warranty then you'd be out of luck as the 06 is already out of factory warranty. Your only chance to get additional warranty would be buying something like a certified pre-owned Lexus (to get the 3 yr/100k CPO warranty).... (I've also heard a few reports of folks being able to buy the "regular" (ie non-CPO) extended warranty at the time of sale only if buying a used out-of-factory-warranty Lexus)... both of those circumstances would preclude getting the cheap version from Troy or Jerry or one of those guys I would expect, though you can also drop em an email or phone call to ask if there's any way to do it.

This is why I generally recommend anyone buying a non-CPO used car to find one still under the 4 yr/50k mark... leaves them the most open options for buying a cheap extended warranty.
Old 12-08-11, 10:19 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Jezza911
I read this question to mean something different than what Kurtz responded to above. Kurtz is exactly right on those points above. What I'm reading this as however is that you're asking "If an owner bought an extended warranty, and is still under that extended warranty but is out of factory warranty, can you buy a further extension of the warranty?"

Like Kurtz said, if the previous owner's car is currently covered by a VSA warranty, he can transfer it to you for $50. This is ONLY the case if it's a VSA warranty - CPO warranties are NOT transferable.

Now, if that owner were to transfer his VSA warranty to you, can you buy an extension of that warranty or a longer-term warranty from Troy or Lexus? The answer to that I don't know, maybe someone else can chime in. My guess is no, but I don't know for sure. One thing I do know for sure is that it will be very expensive, as the price of an extended warranty goes up with the years, mileage, etc.
Old 12-19-11, 05:15 PM
kmaahs
Rookie

Default Best Price on Extended Warranty

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
I just today bought a platinum warranty from Jerry Johnson (620-664-8844); I went around the three better known agents mentioned above. He gave me the best price of all; one other offered to match it but would not improve it. I think Jerry does it as well as any and better than the other two.

Quick Reply: Should I buy the Lexus extended warranty?