Some punk punched in my roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 12:41 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Some punk punched in my roof

Whats the best option for self fix??

It basically looks like 10 knuckle sizes dents towards the rear of the roof. As if i was pelted by hail....but no paint damage.
Old 09-11-11, 12:42 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PDR repair...probably cost you $200 or something, but it'll take it right out
Old 09-11-11, 12:44 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

?? please elaborate?

Should i attempt to buy one of those repair kits? The car is a lease, so i dont know if i want to invest in a body shop fix.

PS im super annoyed - ive had the car 10 months and have yet to park it between two cars. im the car in the corner spot parked diagonally, hence the haters punching in my roof
Old 09-11-11, 01:10 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PDR = Paintless Dent Removal. You can usually find people that will come out to you and do the work. Charge you a flat rate per area usually to remove any dents.

And if parking diagonally in the corner spots is attracting haters, i would just park correctly in the corner spot to avoid future issues
Old 09-11-11, 01:17 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you taking two parking spots when parked diagonally? It makes your car stand out more and prone to be hated upon. I rather park super far away then take two spots.
Old 09-11-11, 05:52 AM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Why not park like regular ppl far away? Lmao
Old 09-11-11, 06:14 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well you've answered your own question as to why this happened. Parking like that is probably the worst thing you can do to protect your car; it just screams out to people "Hey, I really, really would hate it if anyone did anything to my car", which of course then entices jerks to do just that. It's a car, and you're going to have to learn to get over a door nick here or there.
Old 09-11-11, 07:10 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

I take the corner spot and go 50% into the crosshatched area...or sometimes at an angle into the cross hatched area. Mother****ers in Miami don't give a ****. Not to mention my work lot is on sobe so lots of rental car and drunk drivers.

So should I buy one of those suction kits? Or would it be better to remove the headliner and have at it with a rubber mallet?
Old 09-11-11, 07:44 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Id probably call a few paintless dent removal people and get some quotes. It'll probably save you time in the end.
Old 09-11-11, 08:17 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

i would go that route if the dents were in more visible areas, in thicker, rigid sheet metal. but dings on the roof may be very easy to take out yourself, no? its one large, thin, flexible panel of sheetmetal.

does anyone know if those PDR suction devices actually work? i.e. something found in an auto parts store? thats the kind of suggestion im looking for....brand names and techniques.
Old 09-11-11, 08:39 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I never get use to dents/scratches. I hate when people say it's just a car. I like my stuff to be spotless. How a person keeps and views their stuff says a lot IMO.

Having said that, I'm suprised you would want to attempt to remove the dents your self. If you park way out why would you cheap out on a a fix. I've heard the self removal kits don't work very well. Usually just a waste of time and money.

I've had paintless dent removal done for about $50 bucks on 2 small dents. Yet in Miami it's going to be more expensive.
Old 09-11-11, 08:58 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
i would go that route if the dents were in more visible areas, in thicker, rigid sheet metal. but dings on the roof may be very easy to take out yourself, no? its one large, thin, flexible panel of sheetmetal.

does anyone know if those PDR suction devices actually work? i.e. something found in an auto parts store? thats the kind of suggestion im looking for....brand names and techniques.
Take pics and we can probably tell you wether or not one of those kits will work...
Old 09-11-11, 09:39 AM
indyberett
Rookie

I would also contact a dent remover. They do great work and no paint work.

Originally Posted by meangene
Id probably call a few paintless dent removal people and get some quotes. It'll probably save you time in the end.
Old 09-11-11, 09:45 AM
sprcheese
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take this from a guy who does some sheet metal work. Lage flat panels are a ***** to work on. Listen to the advice of others on here and get some quotes for paintless dent removal. Some pics would really help, but it sounds like it shouldn't be to hard to fix for a pro.
The kits you can buy have their uses, but only in some areas and practice is essential to make sure you dont F*%@ stuff up.
Old 09-11-11, 09:47 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Ding King first.... it's pretty much harmless if you follow the instructions.

https://www.dingking.tv/?leadsource=...FQwaQgodG2w5tA

Basically it's adhesive + sunction cup used to pull out the dings on your car.

I known people who used it for door dings and it worked wonders. But it also depends on the size of your ding. If it's on a relatively flat surface, then it will most like remove it.

Quick Reply: Some punk punched in my roof