IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should not have been certified?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-11, 08:24 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sango
Yep! I also spoke with Jeff, it seems like speical builds, I'll be with 2012 build.

The way I'm going to spec this one will be such that it will be like the Canada spec spec their F-Sport Package for the IS250 has a subset of the luxury features in it.

Navigation (in my spec, I want the Mark Levinson in it)
Reverse Auto Tilting Exterior Mirrors
Power Tilt & Telescopic Steering Wheel
Rain Sensing Wipers
Sounds really nice! Can't wait to see some pics!
Old 09-17-11, 02:49 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big color difference in the trunk and rear quart panel!!! Dealership must feel like dumb a$$! lol can't believe someone pulled a fast one to a Lexus Dealer...Karma sucks lol...thats what they get for ripping off people!!!
Old 09-17-11, 02:57 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Yeah. I think even for the pre-sales manager who told me, "It's normal for cars to be repainted for scatches and dings". The GM too, "repainting 3-4 panels is alrite, it is within Lexus certification standards"..!!
Old 08-14-19, 03:40 PM
Stu3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar Issues

Hello Club Lexus,

I recently purchased a CPO 2016 Lexus IS 300 AWD from my local Lexus dealership at the end of November last year. When I inspected the car before buying it I went over it with a fine tooth comb looking at every possible detail I could to the best of my knowledge. Inspecting for things such as overspray, panels that did not match, any kind of structural damage or corrosion. Did not see any of this so I assumed the car was clean..

A few weeks after purchasing the vehicle during my first through detail of the vehicle I noticed small hairline cracks on the roof of the car right on the weld lines. Inside these cracks was corrosion which made me realize that my roof was completely exposed to the elements and that this would just get worse. I contacted Lexus corporate as well as the dealership that sold me the car and they set up and appointment for me to come and get the car inspected. I brought the car in and the service manager acknowledged that there was an issue here and stated he could not approve any warranty work until a Lexus rep approved the work which would require me to wait until

The rep came to the dealership. At this point I had no choice but to wait and about 2 weeks later I finally got to see the rep. The rep looked at the car and approved warranty work to get the roof fixed by their body shop (a third party body shop).

The dealer provided me with a loaner and had my car for about a week until it was returned to. Upon delivery of the car I discovered trash left from the body shop in my car, prep materials, MY STEERING WHEEL HAD BEEN CUT! In what looks to be an exacto knife or something fine in perfect vertical cuts prob about 8-12 of them on the upper right side of the wheel. The paint on the roof had already chipped. I was furious! Demanding this was unacceptable and dealing with corporate again the dealership sent the car back to the body shop, and they contacted their upholstery guy to come fix the steering wheel. Another week went by and I get the car back for the second time and it appears that all the problems have been fixed.

A few days later, I’m detailing the car again on a nice sunny day and begin to realize there is overspray in random places on the cars panels! I bring the car in yet again and show the service manager and he was just a complete ****. Completely dismissive, saying he’s not doing anything else to this car, I should be grateful they did what they did already and shunned me away. At this point in time I was so fed up with the dealership, dis-satisfied with the body shop and scared more harm world be done then good continuing this battle. I decided to cut my losses and deal with the imperfections.

Months later now (2 days ago) , I brought my car to a professional detailer who was going to do a paint correction on the car to remove minor swirls and scratches on the car pointed out to me that one of my DRL’s was not OEM and that there seems to be residue and evidence of prep work/ body work by the passenger headlight in the jams of the headlight leading him to believe this car and experienced an accident. When I purchased the car CPO from an official Lexus dealership the Carfax was absolutely clean and they did not bring anything to me attention but now looking back on it, during the time of sale, my salesmen was super pushy about getting me to sign the “as is” inspection form. I asked him what it was exactly and he said “oh this just means you looked at the car and saw no traces of an accident or any kind of mechanical issues”. Caught up in the haze/ excitement of buying my first car myself I didn’t pay much mind to it but this leads me to believe these guys knew exactly what they were doing.

I did read all of what was mentioned previously on this thread but I am wondering if anyone has any advice / insight for me at this very time. Anything would be helpful! Thank you!

Old 08-15-19, 12:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Sounds like it's it time to take your conversation to corporate office and see where it goes?

Also, ask yourself; what type of settlement are expecting? What would you accept?
And how long have you owned this car?
Old 08-15-19, 05:45 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Just a general comment. CarFax is not foolproof by any stretch of the imagination. Accidents may or may not be reported to them. Their "money back guarantee" specifically states that it only applies if a reported accident was not included in the CarFax you received, pretty much making it worthless.
Old 08-16-19, 06:15 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

^^ Totally agree. This thread proves that.

Before I bought the 2013 I had them take it inside under florescent lights and put it on a lift so I could do my own inspection looking at all angles. The direct sun makes it near impossible to see differences in color. Get them indoors before buying and you stand a lot better chance of detecting flaws.

Having worked in a body and frame shop where we gripped cars by the pinch rail to pull them straight, I was looking for claw marks on the rail as well as panel repairs, over spray, color change or any hints repairs were made.

Carfax is complete crap as anyone can panels sprayed on their own dime and you'll never know they took out the neighbor's trash can and mailbox!