IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should not have been certified?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 07:38 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sango
Thanks for the replies, Kurtz and calvin.

I have a slight update.

The GM of the selling dealership has contact me and did assure me that the car is in fact certified. The concern about the paint miss-match and not being disclosed to me at the point of sale is currently being addressed with as I kindly explained to him that, if I knew that car was repainted (properly disclosed), I would of made a different vehicle selection of choice. I also explained that I also purchased a CPO vehicle at the servicing dealership (the one that noticed the repaint) before and it was not repainted.

The GM is willing to work something out as in swap or trade and did let him know currently on their lot, they have another of the exact same vehicle (spec, color exterior/interior color), with similar mileage like the one I have now. He will currently have it carefully inspected to make sure that car is in good condition and has not been repainted, which I would expect.

I will post an update once I receive the call from the GM again. Most likely, I'll negotiate with him to pay for the licensing fee's and I may have to pay for the difference in the ODO, but at least hopefully things will be done right for me.
That is great news!

I just thought of something else you should check. Was the part over the doors repainted? If so, check the weld in the rear tire well. If it does not look perfectly smooth and straight they may have replaced the rear fender which could indicate something more severe than a re-spray. The dealer and Carmax could tell a mile away that mine had been in an accident because of that weld. If that is obvious then they definitely knew about it having body work.
Old 09-12-11, 07:50 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
That is great news!

I just thought of something else you should check. Was the part over the doors repainted? If so, check the weld in the rear tire well. If it does not look perfectly smooth and straight they may have replaced the rear fender which could indicate something more severe than a re-spray. The dealer and Carmax could tell a mile away that mine had been in an accident because of that weld. If that is obvious then they definitely knew about it having body work.
Yes, the part over the doors is repainted, bascially the whole one panel welded. If I were to open both side doors and touch the inside edge of the body where the door would normally cover when closed, I can feel the rough edge.

Looks like I will get a call tommorw from the GM since the GM did not call me back yet - I guess service was unable to finish a complete inspection of the car before they closed.

I do find it difficult why in the full service history report (available at the dealership since Lexus owners site mentions only brief) which I have a hard copy of makes no references of that side in question being repainted.
Old 09-14-11, 01:18 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Update here.

As per the other GFM car that is on the lot, the GM told me, bumper needed some repainting (body panels good) but as a general comment, he said I would not want to be in it since it has a smell as someone has smoked in it and he said it is certified. This brings up another issue, if the car is smoked or has an odor, it should be disqualified, wonder why it’s being certified.

The GM told me, they were not aware that car I purchase had been repainted, and they must of missed it. I wonder if there is any leverage I have on them for missing it. Basically they are saying it’s certified since it met the certification requirements based on what they currently knew.

At the servicing dealership, the director was saying, any Lexus dealership if I were to trade the car, they would certify it, assuming they did not know or discover about the overspray and finding out it was repainted. Since the director does know about my car and what he discovered and the possible unknowns, if I were to trade it at his dealership, I would not get much value as he will not certify it and it will be simply auctioned.

I have pictures of the paint job. I believe you could say, most likely not Lexus authorized. Any input?

Here are direct links to the pictures.
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/8...intedwitho.jpg
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9...rdoorinter.jpg
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9...rdoorinter.jpg
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1...andrepaint.jpg
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/162...andrepaint.jpg
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1...andrepaint.jpg
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5...blackspecs.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3...ndrepainte.jpg
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8...doorinteri.jpg
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8...doorinteri.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8...doorinteri.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/864...doorinteri.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6764/...kspecsandf.jpg

Last edited by Sango; 09-14-11 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 06:31 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Yes, the part over the doors is repainted, bascially the whole one panel welded. If I were to open both side doors and touch the inside edge of the body where the door would normally cover when closed, I can feel the rough edge.

Looks like I will get a call tommorw from the GM since the GM did not call me back yet - I guess service was unable to finish a complete inspection of the car before they closed.

I do find it difficult why in the full service history report (available at the dealership since Lexus owners site mentions only brief) which I have a hard copy of makes no references of that side in question being repainted.
That SUCKS! I was told by my dealer and Carmax that because of the replaced fender and that they could see new weld marks they assumed frame damage and could not sell it at their dealership. I know mine went to a wholesaler and was sold on ebay (as unwrecked and clean carfax) I would get Lexus corporate involved.

BTW that paint matchup is really bad, it doesn't look like they even tried to blend the panels.

Last edited by wednesday; 09-14-11 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added a comment
Old 09-14-11, 07:47 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Thanks Wednesday. This leads to believe it is done by non Lexus authorized shop, therefore quality is non Lexus standards. I need another car.

Bascially I found another GFM at another dealership - I wonder if the selling dealership can work something out to bring the other one over since it is in another state.

Last edited by Sango; 09-14-11 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 05:34 PM
Sango
Pole Position

New update wednesday,

I went to a Lexus authorized body shop. The vehicle has been in fact been in a collision. Bondo has been found at the rear fender around the rear wheel well (hanging) and judging from the paint job, the shop that painted it probably was not able to match it properly so they just pretty much repainted the whole side. They even looked underneath the vehicle and found damaged to it as well like screws sheared off and some parts of the underbody had been crushed which indicates it was not transported properly. Also there is rubber stuff missing to cover holes (which I did not know exist) which could allow rodents to get in. They definitely confirm and say, the car is not certified.

Pretty much the selling dealership owes me new car. Will consider taking legal actions with the evidence from the auto body shop.

I will post pictures as soon as the body shop sends me a formal documentation and pictures from the body shop.

Last edited by Sango; 09-14-11 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-15-11, 08:09 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I gotten the report this morning and sent a letter to the dealership about taking legal action if they do not respond based on the evidence the autobody shop report provided to me to support it had been in an accident; not only that, there underbody damage as well. The adjusted could not believe that the dealership missed this during the inspection when they had it, it should never have been certified.

As you see, the bonbo is clearly located on the rear body panel. As per underbody, wasn't transported properly, some thing crushed, grommets missing, undercoating shield protection is missing in some areas, screws missing, bent or sheared and etc. Some parts need rewelding and stuff like that. Bascially about $6.5K in damage to repair that. Most likely the first owner paid something cheap to get that kind of sub-par job to do that to get rid of the car, therefore the true repair would of been greater.

Hopefully the GM gives me something good to resolve this.

Originally Posted by Lexus Dealership
Hi [name],

I have received and read your email. I am out of the store today and will correspond with you tomorrow. Please rest assured I will be swift to resolve this issue with you, have a great rest of the day.

[name]

Last edited by Sango; 09-15-11 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-16-11, 12:33 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Conclusion!!

The GM called me this morning, and they will buy back the car from me and reimbursed the payments which I did with Lexus Financial Services. I also be getting some Lexus loyalty money. They will now help me in getting the car I want and depending on what I select; they will offer it to me at cost.
Old 09-16-11, 02:27 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Conclusion!!

The GM called me this morning, and they will buy back the car from me and reimbursed the payments which I did with Lexus Financial Services. I also be getting some Lexus loyalty money. They will now help me in getting the car I want and depending on what I select; they will offer it to me at cost.
Congratulations, very happy for you! Sorry to had to go through all this, but at least you learned something (though it wasn't your fault, you've learned to be more discerning in assessing used vehicles, as I learned when I bought my CPO car with issues nowhere near as bad as yours) and you came out with the resolution you wanted.
Old 09-16-11, 05:30 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

New update wednesday,

I went to a Lexus authorized body shop. The vehicle has been in fact been in a collision. Bondo has been found at the rear fender around the rear wheel well (hanging) and judging from the paint job, the shop that painted it probably was not able to match it properly so they just pretty much repainted the whole side. They even looked underneath the vehicle and found damaged to it as well like screws sheared off and some parts of the underbody had been crushed which indicates it was not transported properly. Also there is rubber stuff missing to cover holes (which I did not know exist) which could allow rodents to get in. They definitely confirm and say, the car is not certified.

Pretty much the selling dealership owes me new car. Will consider taking legal actions with the evidence from the auto body shop.

I will post pictures as soon as the body shop sends me a formal documentation and pictures from the body shop.
WOW! There is no way they didn't know about that Anyway, I am glad you are getting some satisfaction with the dealership! Maybe it is time to go over to the darkside and get a USB F Sport It is the next best thing to GFM!
Old 09-16-11, 07:18 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a pain in the **** this mess must have been for you. However, it looks like you might actually come out with a much better deal in the end. While the dealer clearly made an obvious error, at least they are making it right by you. Good job for seeing this through to the end. Please do give us an update on what you get next and the kind of deal they make for you. :-)
Old 09-16-11, 07:43 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Yep thanks all.

Well I sent them a list of options of what my new car would be. Not sure if it's possible but I sent them a preliminary list of what I want.

1:
F-Sport Package w/summer tires
Navigation system/Mark Levinson Premium Audio Package
Preferred Accessory Package
Glacier Frost Mica, if not available then, Ultrasonic Blue Mica
Luxury Plus Value Edition
Intrusive Parking Assist w/Front/Rear Sensor
Front Window Element Defrosters (which Canada spec has)
Special request: Canadian spec (for instrument cluster, climate control system)

2:
Premium Plus Value Edition
Special request: Canadian spec (for instrument cluster, climate control systems)

3:
Special request: Canadian spec (for instrument cluster, climate control systems)

Last edited by Sango; 09-16-11 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-16-11, 11:26 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Return that ***** back!!!!! I've done it twice one to Honda of Cerritos and the other one Honda of Downey. The one in Cerritos was a 2001 Civic, signed a loan agree mean AS-IS non certified, 3 weeks later found out the car had no air bags and had over spray on the wheel wells. Not even a car payment and I return it! I was 19 when this happened I precistent and they took it back! Then in 2006 I bought a 2003 Civic from Downey and 6 months later I just ran a carfax by curiosity and I found that it was crash! This one was a bit tough, took paper work (online print outs) about Lemon Laws. Walked out with a big fat check made out to me and all my 6 payments made and insurance payment tooo!!! And took my butt to Scion and bought a new tC! Never again will I buy a used car! Never know what has happened to the car!!!! Then trade it in for a TSX! Its the dealership fault not to inspect the car, they probably were fooled too, but trust me they don't certified cars that been in accidents no matter how small! Plus carfax and those other similar sites and not completely accurate, my dads 745Li had 20K in repairs and it didn't showed up in carfax or any of those sites! Kinda feel bad for the sucker that bought it!
Old 09-17-11, 06:37 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Yep thanks all.

Well I sent them a list of options of what my new car would be. Not sure if it's possible but I sent them a preliminary list of what I want.

1:
Navigation system/Mark Levinson Premium Audio looks Package
Luxury Plus Value Edition
Special request: Canadian spec (for instrument cluster, climate control system)

2:
Special request: Canadian spec (for instru ment cluster, climate control systems)

3:

Looks like you will be joining the usb club! I wanted an f sport in gfm but they have never been offered in that color and now gfm has been discontinued alltogether.
Old 09-17-11, 07:53 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wednesday
Looks like you will be joining the usb club! I wanted an f sport in gfm but they have never been offered in that color and now gfm has been discontinued alltogether.
Yep! I also spoke with Jeff, it seems like speical builds, I'll be with 2012 build.

The way I'm going to spec this one will be such that it will be like the Canada spec spec their F-Sport Package for the IS250 has a subset of the luxury features in it.

Navigation (in my spec, I want the Mark Levinson in it)
Reverse Auto Tilting Exterior Mirrors
Power Tilt & Telescopic Steering Wheel
Rain Sensing Wipers

Quick Reply: Should not have been certified?