Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 11:49 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
This is my guess as to what happened.

Jeff
If this turns out ot be the case, what rights would I be entitled to since it was missed and therefore not disclosed? I would not purchased a vehicle knowing this.
Old 09-10-11, 11:54 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

That I don't have an answer for. It would still come down to proving it was repaired inadequately to CPO standards. I would think it's going to come down to what the dealer is willing to do for you and/or what Lexus corporate is willing to do.

Jeff
Old 09-10-11, 08:09 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Thanks Jeff.

I will supposedly be contacted on Monday to find out what the situation is. I will also be getting in contact with the bar association to discuss the situation and to find a laywer depending on the outcome.

Last edited by Sango; 09-10-11 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-11-11, 04:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Thanks Jeff.

I will supposedly be contacted on Monday to find out what the situation is. I will also be getting in contact with the bar association to discuss the situation and to find a laywer depending on the outcome.
Be careful.
Getting a lawyer will be expensive.The dealer may have a law firm on retainer.
The dealer can drag this thing out costing you a small fortune.Hundreds of dollars an hour adds up quickly.
Old 09-11-11, 12:00 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Here is a picture. I pretty much marked up dots to indicate repaint but, I'm pretty much implying the whole panel.

I'm not sure the top area body which goes along the top door/window can be replaced. I would imaging those body pieces need to be replaced phyically and need to come factory re-painted.

Last edited by Sango; 09-11-11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-11-11, 12:21 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

None of those pieces would come pre-painted, nor could you even install them if they were pre-painted. They're welded onto the car (with the exception of the doors and front fender). Which means that in order to replace them, even if you ordered new parts from Lexus, you'd need to cut out the old ones, weld in the new ones, blend them in with body filler, then repaint the whole side of the car.

Basically, you'd be left with essentially what you have now, except (hopefully) the paint would match better. There is almost zero chance they will replace anything. At most, you'll likely get some money back due to lost value, or maybe they'll offer to try to get the paint to match better.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeff
Old 09-12-11, 12:38 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Found out a bit more from my servicing dealer. Repainting of body panels voids factory warrenty. Only about 21K on the ODO!!!

Hopefully I get a call back from the selling dealership and corporate today as promised.
Old 09-12-11, 01:07 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Repainting of body panels voids factory warrenty.
Can anyone verify this? I find this hard to believe, given the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. I don't see how Lexus would be able to void an entire factory bumper-to-bumper warranty simply because you repainted a quarter panel.

If you got keyed on a rear quarter panel, for example, and elected to have it repainted, that in no way would affect your engine. So if the cam gear issue arose, I can't possibly fathom how Lexus would legally be able to deny your claim merely because you repainted a rear quarter panel. Now, if you had a panel repainted and then made a rust claim under warranty for that particular panel, I could see how they could deny it.
Old 09-12-11, 01:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Can anyone verify this? I find this hard to believe, given the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. I don't see how Lexus would be able to void an entire factory bumper-to-bumper warranty simply because you repainted a quarter panel.

If you got keyed on a rear quarter panel, for example, and elected to have it repainted, that in no way would affect your engine. So if the cam gear issue arose, I can't possibly fathom how Lexus would legally be able to deny your claim merely because you repainted a rear quarter panel. Now, if you had a panel repainted and then made a rust claim under warranty for that particular panel, I could see how they could deny it.
Seems right to me.
It might void the warranty on just the painted areas as far as paint and corrosion issue.
I've seem CPO vehicles that have had a Carfax hit.
Old 09-12-11, 01:18 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a picture. I pretty much marked up dots to indicate repaint but, I'm pretty much implying the whole panel.

I'm not sure the top area body which goes along the top door/window can be replaced. I would imaging those body pieces need to be replaced phyically and need to come factory re-painted.
First off, sorry to hear about this
The part above the door can be replaced but have to be cut and welded. Look up the info on my 2007 wreck.... in an IS that looked just like this one My accident had 11k damage and it never showed on carfax.
Old 09-12-11, 03:34 PM
Sango
Pole Position

calvin,

That is what the director of parts/service at the dealership where I normally get my car service is telling me. The reason being is that the factory paint has been compromised. He also adds that, that Lexus dealerships would not of had the whole body panel(s) repainted. It is up in the air what exactly happend to the car and its true condition since those panels have been repainted.

Since these were not reported on the carfax and on the service reports regarding anything about accidents or repainting of the whole right side of the vehicle, the director suspects that it was done before the dealership obtained the car, done out of pocket and not reported. Still, the selling dealership should of noticed the overspray.

-----------
Wednesday,

Thanks. Hopefully it can be resolved. Unfornately, Lexus is not going to cut and weld to replace those, so it's technically done for in terms of what could be done. Going to be pricey, and the car should of went to auction, not get certified if they spotted the overspray in the first place.

Last edited by Sango; 09-12-11 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 04:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

calvin,

That is what the director of parts/service at the dealership where I normally get my car service is telling me. The reason being is that the factory paint has been compromised. He also adds that, that Lexus dealerships would not of had the whole body panel(s) repainted. It is up in the air what exactly happend to the car and its true condition since those panels have been repainted.
That's great, but he has no legal ground to stand on in saying it.

As explained, federal law requires them to demonstrate that something someone else did caused whatever problem they want to deny coverage for... they can't just "void the warranty" on everything because they feel like it.

So if you had a rust problem in a repainted area, they could point to the repaint and refuse to cover that.

but if your radio stops working, that's not the fault of a badly painted door. That would still be covered.

(now, if they could show there was hidden accident damage that jacked up the wiring to the speaker in a damaged door or something, that's another story... but just pointing at a repaint and saying "nope, whole thing is voided" is complete BS.)
Old 09-12-11, 04:57 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurtz
That's great, but he has no legal ground to stand on in saying it.

As explained, federal law requires them to demonstrate that something someone else did caused whatever problem they want to deny coverage for... they can't just "void the warranty" on everything because they feel like it.

So if you had a rust problem in a repainted area, they could point to the repaint and refuse to cover that.

but if your radio stops working, that's not the fault of a badly painted door. That would still be covered.

(now, if they could show there was hidden accident damage that jacked up the wiring to the speaker in a damaged door or something, that's another story... but just pointing at a repaint and saying "nope, whole thing is voided" is complete BS.)
This is correct, and was what I was talking about. Now, I'm not denying that's what the dealer told you. However, legally speaking he's incorrect, and I'm confident if it came to a dispute wherein you had a car issue completely unrelated to body panels, you would get it covered. Neither Lexus corporate nor the dealership would have any legal grounds to deny you a fix for your radio because you repainted a rear quarter panel.

Not that I want it to come to that complicated a resolution for you. I still think you're doing the right thing in following up with the selling dealership. I just wanted to point out the error in the dealer's statement.
Old 09-12-11, 05:12 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies, Kurtz and calvin.

I have a slight update.

The GM of the selling dealership has contact me and did assure me that the car is in fact certified. The concern about the paint miss-match and not being disclosed to me at the point of sale is currently being addressed with as I kindly explained to him that, if I knew that car was repainted (properly disclosed), I would of made a different vehicle selection of choice. I also explained that I also purchased a CPO vehicle at the servicing dealership (the one that noticed the repaint) before and it was not repainted.

The GM is willing to work something out as in swap or trade and did let him know currently on their lot, they have another of the exact same vehicle (spec, color exterior/interior color), with similar mileage like the one I have now. He will currently have it carefully inspected to make sure that car is in good condition and has not been repainted, which I would expect.

I will post an update once I receive the call from the GM again. Most likely, I'll negotiate with him to pay for the licensing fee's and I may have to pay for the difference in the ODO, but at least hopefully things will be done right for me.

Last edited by Sango; 09-12-11 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 06:24 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Thanks for the replies, Kurtz and calvin.

I have a slight update.

The GM of the selling dealership has contact me and did assure me that the car is in fact certified. The concern about the paint miss-match and not being disclosed to me at the point of sale is currently being addressed with as I kindly explained to him that, if I knew that car was repainted (properly disclosed), I would of made a different vehicle selection of choice. I also explained that I also purchased a CPO vehicle at the servicing dealership (the one that noticed the repaint) before and it was not repainted.

The GM is willing to work something out as in swap or trade and did let him know currently on their lot, they have another of the exact same vehicle (spec, color exterior/interior color), with similar mileage like the one I have now. He will currently have it carefully inspected to make sure that car is in good condition and has not been repainted, which I would expect.

I will post an update once I receive the call from the GM again. Most likely, I'll negotiate with him to pay for the licensing fee's and I may have to pay for the difference in the ODO, but at least hopefully things will be done right for me.
Sounds like a good development, good luck with everything!

Quick Reply: Should not have been certified?