Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 02:31 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default NAVIGATION QUESTION and Query

I am purchasing a 2008 IS350 with 18500 miles fully loaded

2 Questions about the Nav System

1. I heard while driving Ex: highway you cant search for POI for the nearest BK or McDonald or gas station etc. Is this true? If so, Is there an override button or something you can do to overide this gay *** safety feature?

2. DVD ...The car doesn't come with mark Levinson so as far as playing DVD in the car I know the 6 CD changer cannot play DVDs so what is alternative? is there an accessory that you can connect to play DVD on the main screen?

Thanks in advance for you inputs
Old 09-07-11, 03:25 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can speak your point of interest while driving.

There are companies, like vaisetech (sp?), that allow you to play video from your Iphone/Ipod to the Nav screen.
Old 09-07-11, 03:30 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Thanks I heard that there is some kinda code you can put in to override the buttons
that only dealers know how to do but voids the warrenty
Old 09-07-11, 03:35 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WIZARD1325
Thanks I heard that there is some kinda code you can put in to override the buttons
that only dealers know how to do but voids the warrenty
That's true. There is an overide code but once you do the override code and shut the car off, you have to re-do the code. It's a series of steps where you press certain parts of the screen.
Or you can hack the nav. Search for "nav hack" you'll see what most of us have done including myself.
Old 09-07-11, 03:45 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Awesome will do the search
Old 09-07-11, 03:45 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
That's true. There is an overide code but once you do the override code and shut the car off, you have to re-do the code. It's a series of steps where you press certain parts of the screen.
Or you can hack the nav. Search for "nav hack" you'll see what most of us have done including myself.
The override code only works with the old 5.1 version of the navigation disc. People who own both the 5.1 and newer discs have built "hybrid" disks with the old software and new maps. With the old software, you have to press "I agree" every time you start the car.
Old 09-07-11, 06:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The override code, which has no impact on your warranty, only existed in that 5.1 software as noted, which only came on original 2006 models... anything since then came with newer software that has no override.

You can cut wires behind the dash (which will impact the warranty on the nav unit) to be able to enter destinations while driving though.

One note because it's a peeve of mine- your car isn't fully loaded. Almost no 2ISes are actually fully loaded, it's extremely, extremely, rare...despite what the guy selling it says in his ad... the fact your doesn't play DVDs alone tells you it's missing some options (probably several).

As noted there's several options to play DVDs- there's aftermarket interfaces to attach an actual DVD play, aftermarket interfaces to play video off other sources (ipod/iphone for example), or you can actually swap the OEM DVD changer from another car into yours (but will again require cutting wires if you actually want the videos to play while the car is in motion, which it doesn't normally do)
Old 09-07-11, 06:15 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The override code, which has no impact on your warranty, only existed in that 5.1 software as noted, which only came on original 2006 models... anything since then came with newer software that has no override.

You can cut wires behind the dash (which will impact the warranty on the nav unit) to be able to enter destinations while driving though.

One note because it's a peeve of mine- your car isn't fully loaded. Almost no 2ISes are actually fully loaded, it's extremely, extremely, rare...despite what the guy selling it says in his ad... the fact your doesn't play DVDs alone tells you it's missing some options (probably several).

As noted there's several options to play DVDs- there's aftermarket interfaces to attach an actual DVD play, aftermarket interfaces to play video off other sources (ipod/iphone for example), or you can actually swap the OEM DVD changer from another car into yours (but will again require cutting wires if you actually want the videos to play while the car is in motion, which it doesn't normally do)
Kurtz educate me.

Fully loaded is ML w/ Nav, heated cooled seats, AFS headlights, memory steering wheel.... And?
What am I missing? I ask cause mine just has Nav. No ML, no AFS, no heated/cooled seats, nada.
Old 09-07-11, 07:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Kurtz educate me.

Fully loaded is ML w/ Nav, heated cooled seats, AFS headlights, memory steering wheel.... And?
What am I missing? I ask cause mine just has Nav. No ML, no AFS, no heated/cooled seats, nada.
Fully loaded would be:

Nav AND Mark Levinson
Park assist
PCS (for pre 2011 models, this option was dropped in 2011)
Rear spoiler
Headlamp washers
XM radio (pre-2010, it's standard in the last couple years models)
and
Either the Sport or Lux package (which includes the upgraded seats, HID with AFS, and a good half a dozen additional features NOT available any other way like the auto-tilt side mirrors, memory seats, etc...).

The sport and lux package are mutually exclusive, I'd consider either one "ok" for calling it fully loaded since it's impossible to have both, and the content overlaps on most of the features but there's no other way to get those features. The differences between the two are:

Lux extras are: Woodgrain, power rear sunshade, illuminated scuff plates. But does NOT have the extras in the sport package

Sport package extras are: Sport suspension, sport pedals, aluminum scuff plates

(personally I find the sport package "more" loaded, as sport suspension>power sunshade, but that's an opinion thing...But for 250 guys the sport package was only offered on the 250 for the first couple years so they'd have to go Lux for the other years for fully loaded)

the items in common are: HIDs with AFS, heated/cooled seats, memory seats, power tilt steering, auto-dim and auto-tilt side mirrors, rain-sensing wipers

2011 screws things up, as the old (better) sport package no longer exists... so your choices are the F-sport package, which apart from the sport suspension is now just an appearance upgrade...or the Luxury package, which still has all the extra functional features... but they remain mutually exclusive... so I'd personally only consider Lux to be a fully loaded car, making it impossible to get a fully loaded F-sport car.

2011 also drops passenger side memory seat, AFS, and PCS...so a "loaded" 2011 will still be missing things previous years fully loaded cars had (with the only added 'feature' being the LED DRLs really)

Anyway, pre-2011 it's usually the lack of PCS that keeps a car from fully loaded... it was a very rare (and IMHO overpriced) option... the headlamp washers aren't super common either, at least in this area...and then ML is probably the next most-rare thing.

(well, technically I think the rarest option is ML without nav, only ever seen one other car but mine with that, but that inherently keeps you from being fully loaded since it lacks nav)

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-07-11 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 07:56 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Yes, unfortuately, that is true. You can use voice commands as CCJ22 mentioned, install the plug and play override kit from Prestigious Society, buy the VaisTech SL2iC iPod integration kit that has nav override built in, or cut the wires to "hack" your nav (warranty void). For the hack, read this and this.

2. There are several options. You can do a Mark Levinson head unit swap, you can use something like NavTool and add an external DVD player (in the glovebox for instance), you can use a VaisTech product (SL2Vi, SL2iC or ML+) that allows video playback from an iPod/iPhone, you can install the FlyAudio head unit replacement, or you can do an entirely custom head unit swap.
Old 09-07-11, 08:36 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought an over ride kit for 100 bucks from amazon, no cutting and works great. The Prestigious one has a very prestigious price--go with the VaisTech if you also want ipod integration.
Old 09-07-11, 11:57 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Fully loaded would be:

Nav AND Mark Levinson
Park assist
Rear spoiler
Headlamp washers
and
Either the Sport or Lux package (which includes the upgraded seats, HID with AFS, and a good half a dozen additional features NOT available any other way like the auto-tilt side mirrors, memory seats, etc...).

The sport and lux package are mutually exclusive, I'd consider either one "ok" for calling it fully loaded since it's impossible to have both, and the content overlaps on most of the features but there's no other way to get those features. The differences between the two are:

Lux extras are: Woodgrain, power rear sunshade, illuminated scuff plates. But does NOT have the extras in the sport package

(personally I find the sport package "more" loaded, as sport suspension>power sunshade, but that's an opinion thing...But for 250 guys the sport package was only offered on the 250 for the first couple years so they'd have to go Lux for the other years for fully loaded)

the items in common are: HIDs with AFS, heated/cooled seats, memory seats, power tilt steering, auto-dim and auto-tilt side mirrors, rain-sensing wipers

2011 screws things up, as the old (better) sport package no longer exists... so your choices are the F-sport package, which apart from the sport suspension is now just an appearance upgrade...or the Luxury package, which still has all the extra functional features... but they remain mutually exclusive... so I'd personally only consider Lux to be a fully loaded car, making it impossible to get a fully loaded F-sport car.

2011 also drops passenger side memory seat, AFS, and PCS...so a "loaded" 2011 will still be missing things previous years fully loaded cars had (with the only added 'feature' being the LED DRLs really)

Anyway, pre-2011 it's usually the lack of PCS that keeps a car from fully loaded... it was a very rare (and IMHO overpriced) option... the headlamp washers aren't super common either, at least in this area...and then ML is probably the next most-rare thing.

(well, technically I think the rarest option is ML without nav, only ever seen one other car but mine with that, but that inherently keeps you from being fully loaded since it lacks nav)
This is what my car is coming with....

-Lux extras are: Woodgrain, power rear sunshade, illuminated scuff plates.
-Nav
-Park assist
-PCS (for pre 2011 models, this option was dropped in 2011)
-Rear spoiler
-Headlamp washers
-HIDS/AFS
-Power sunshade
-Heated/cooled seats, memory seats, power tilt steering, auto-dim and auto-tilt side mirrors, rain-sensing wipers

Now most people know Sport/lux are to separate deals ether racing pedals or not lol as i see it visually.

For for the Lux package Minus 2 things which are

XM radio
Mark LEV
Now I did mention that my car did not have the ML and that it was fully loaded.. I totally forgot about the XM radio so my apologies. but other then that the car is coming fully loaded for its Tier.
Old 09-07-11, 01:05 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Fully loaded would be:

Nav AND Mark Levinson
Park assist
Rear spoiler
Headlamp washers
and

Thanks Kurtz always a wealth of info. This should b stickied
Old 09-07-11, 04:36 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

hehe you said stickied