Bought a good/bad IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 01:50 PM
07Lex350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a good/bad IS350

Hello CL,

New member, but not new to the forum. I purchased a used IS350 a couple of months ago with relatively low mileage and a clean carfax. I got into a parking lot accident where the car parked next to me pulled out and scraped the rear passenger side bumper. Broke off the bumper from the r.quarter panel with minor scratches to the r. qtr panel. Long story short, went through my insurance company because I was impatient and wanted the repairs done asap. Got a quote from a Lexus dealer, but ended going to a repair shop my insurance company recommended.

The repair shop informed me that my car had been in a rear and front end collision. The front bumper is slightly off, minor gaps under the headlights. Other than that nothing else is noticeable from the front. Now the rear had some damage repaired correctly, the spare tire well where it connects the wall where the rear reinforcement bar attaches had non-factory caulking sealant. There were sealant chips that were loose when everything in the trunk was removed. I ended going back to the repair shop to look at it myself and the shop rep and insurance adjuster pointed some things out for me? . I was told that the sealant is to prevent water from leaking in the spare tire well. They also told me that there is minor bondo cracking on one of my doors that is very hard to spot.

So now that I know the car had been in a rear and front end collision, I was planning on going back to the big named dealer I bought the vehicle from and complaining to then. FYI, non Lexus dealer. I'm not sure what I can do in my position, it is a used vehicle and is sold as is? I paid a hefty price for it, but nothing close to what the market was set from a Lexus dealer. I know these dealers spot things immediately, such as any body work done and pass it through the auction. Since these cars would not be able to be Lexus pre-certified?

My other issue is that the repair shop replace everything with a OEM bumper, but the paint does not match. In the sunlight, you can tell it is off. Just a cheaper paint compared to spot on color match from a Lexus body shop?

TIA for any opinions.
Old 09-02-11, 02:41 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I assume that when you purchased the vehicle (and how long ago was this?) that you were shown a CarFax or something? Guessing you didn't get this either : http://www.carfax.com/manifest/bbg/r...cfx?source=CFX
Old 09-02-11, 02:44 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a reason cars like that ended up at non-Lexus dealership. I'm afraid there is nothing you can do unless you have it in writing that the vehicle is a no accident vehicle. Good luck.
Old 09-02-11, 03:32 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure it had a front end collision? The gap under the driverside headlight is a common issue for the 2IS. There is a thread about it here somewhere.
Old 09-02-11, 05:05 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Lex350
My other issue is that the repair shop replace everything with a OEM bumper, but the paint does not match.
For many paint colors especially pearls, it is not unusual for even some of the best paint shops to have difficulty in achieving a perfect match. With today's technology though, they are better now than they were many years ago. Also, since bumper covers are not metal, that may make it more difficult to match factory paint, IMHO.
Old 09-02-11, 05:07 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istarzan
Are you sure it had a front end collision? The gap under the driverside headlight is a common issue for the 2IS. There is a thread about it here somewhere.
Yeah. Most 06-08 2IS has this issue. Double check the reinforcement bar and the tabs.
Old 09-02-11, 06:08 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A used car is sold as-is, unless it's explicitly stated that it comes with some kind of warranty. The dealer is also under no obligation to inform you of any previous accidents or anything like that. If you ask, they can't lie, but they don't have to come out and admit every single thing they know about the car. It's unfortunate, but it's the same caveat emptor rule that applies with buying anything used. This is why Carfax and Autocheck are so important to check.

There have been a few threads on CL recently with members who bought cars and then found out there was significant pre-existing damage. The two threads I remember specifically though were different from yours in several respects. They were both Certified Pre-Owned Lexuses, which means they underwent a 161-point inspection and came with a warranty, and they also discovered the damage within a week or two of buying the car. They ultimately went back to the selling dealerships (both of which were Lexus dealerships) and got it taken care of.

Unfortunately in your situation, seeing as how 1) it was not warrantied or Certified, 2) it was from a non-Lexus dealer, and 3) it was a while ago, you really have no recourse here. That said, there's nothing stopping you from going back and complaining (albeit politely, of course). I doubt much will come of it, but I certainly encourage you to try.
Old 09-02-11, 07:04 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I think you are out of luck due to the status of the car when you bought it "sold as is" which mean you have to check history report from different source by your own.
Someone correct me if i was wrong!!!
Good Luck, Bro!
Old 09-03-11, 05:04 AM
yoegster
Driver

I bought a car (boxster) from a porsche dealer in 08. When I sold it in 11, the carfax showed an accident from 06 that was posted to carfax in 09. Unfortunately, since carfax was so popular - they were also very behind posting to their records. Carfax is nice but still have someone look at the car to see if it was in an accident (re-paint, etc).