IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quietest tires for ISx50?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 09:41 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V12 my friend I never heard any noise from then maybe it's the exhaust and the bass...
Old 08-30-11, 12:25 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Nitto INVO's!
Old 09-01-11, 09:09 PM
aviator409
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from 225 to 235 in order to get the Comfortreads from Goodyear. By far the quietest/softest tire on earth. Sidewall holds up well too
Old 09-01-11, 11:01 PM
NCLexi250
Pole Position

Just put on a pair of Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums in 17" for my car to replace the worn out Bridgestone Potenza RE 92's after several recommendations (tirerack, friends, etc.). Omg.. major difference in quietness to the ride!! I'm now a happy camper.

The ride is somewhat softer, though still sporty overall, than the Potenzas yet cheaper, but that is a compromise I am pretty happy to live with.

I definitely recommend the Kumho's for their quietness, treadlife, ride comfort, and price.

I'm keeping my Kumho's...

Last edited by NCLexi250; 09-01-11 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-02-11, 07:42 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Continental DWS had the highest satisfaction rating on discount tires/ tire rack. So one could say it has been tried and proven.
Old 09-02-11, 07:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slixx
Continental DWS had the highest satisfaction rating on discount tires/ tire rack. So one could say it has been tried and proven.
Unfortunately those are all seasons... which I don't really recommend to anybody.

Mind you, among all seasons they're the best tire available... but that's a little bit like pointing out Moe was the smartest stooge.
Old 09-02-11, 08:07 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Unfortunately those are all seasons... which I don't really recommend to anybody.
Personal preference? Or why is that?
Old 09-02-11, 08:18 AM
baypistol
Driver

I agree the Kuhmo's tires are pretty quiet if you are not looking for high performances racing tires and want a smooth ride.
Old 09-02-11, 01:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSenator
Personal preference? Or why is that?
They call them all seasons because they suck... in all seasons.

They're significantly inferior (braking, handling, etc) to real winter tires in snow/ice/freezing conditions... and they are significantly inferior (braking, handling, etc) to real summer performance tires in all other conditions wet or dry.

They're mediocre at everything they do, finishing 2nd or 3rd behind summer or snow tires in every test you can think of in every weather condition that exists.
Old 09-02-11, 01:41 PM
TheSenator
Pole Position

They call them all seasons because they suck... in all seasons.

They're significantly inferior (braking, handling, etc) to real winter tires in snow/ice/freezing conditions... and they are significantly inferior (braking, handling, etc) to real summer performance tires in all other conditions wet or dry.

They're mediocre at everything they do, finishing 2nd or 3rd behind summer or snow tires in every test you can think of in every weather condition that exists.
Interesting. So do they suck, are they mediocre, or finish in a decent 2nd/3rd behind dedicated seasonal tires?

I understand what you're saying though. While you would never put them on YOUR car because of your expectations, there is absolutely a market for this type of tire. You also never mentioned tread life, which is probably more important to the average driver than if it beat 4 other tires by 1.3 seconds in the slalom.
Old 09-02-11, 03:15 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

if your camber is negative that can also contribute to some road noise, i think...
Old 09-03-11, 06:03 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

I think that's a trade off with almost any sort of multi-purpose technology or gear.

A question I have though, is that if you wanted to run one tire year round in a climate with four seasons, are all-seasons a bad idea then? If so, why?

I'm assuming you run a different set of summer / winter tires.
Old 09-03-11, 11:55 PM
royal5fan
Driver School Candidate

I installed the Nitto Invos as my first set with my new wheels and they were terribly noisy right from the start. They had a constant drone that started at about 35 mph and got worse with speed. Also much worse with age. I am now running Michelin Pilot Sport AS and they are much quieter. And even though they are an AS, they are also much better handling than the Invos ever were. They arent cheap but I highly recommend the Michelins.
Old 09-05-11, 08:09 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MBTC
A question I have though, is that if you wanted to run one tire year round in a climate with four seasons, are all-seasons a bad idea then? If so, why?
Just to clarify this wasn't meant to sound like a challenge, just a legitimate question. I have never run a different set of tires for summer vs. winter, so it would be interesting to hear the argument against all season tires with that in mind. I'm not yet to the point of replacing tires but want to prepare for that time.
Old 09-05-11, 09:04 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Just to clarify this wasn't meant to sound like a challenge, just a legitimate question. I have never run a different set of tires for summer vs. winter, so it would be interesting to hear the argument against all season tires with that in mind. I'm not yet to the point of replacing tires but want to prepare for that time.
I would highly recommend, for everyone's sake, that we keep this thread on-topic (quietest tires) as opposed to tumbling down the slippery slope of opening up this debate. It's already been discussed to death on CL:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...es-on-ice.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...350-tires.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wd-vs-awd.html

Quick Reply: Quietest tires for ISx50?