IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Grom ipod & bluetooth DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 12:01 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be coming from my phone (T-Mobile G2) but it is extremely low compared to the CD or iPod inputs ...

//Edit: will be posting my findings/opinions/comments/review shortly ... going to give it while longer
Old 12-06-11, 09:57 AM
waffle231
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD changer and Interface Question

Hi,

Great write up. Are you able to use the cd changer with this installed? Also, what does your interface look like to use the ipod adapter.

Do you press the AUX button to access the ipod. Also, does the unit work with the steering wheel controls as far as answering the phone? If you could give us a rundown of how you use the adapter i.e. what button does what, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Old 12-10-11, 09:44 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

^^^ if you have NAV I suggest going for one of the other popular choices... we had the non-NAV so we have no interface per say. Yeah, its just pressing the CD changer and you go through the motions. Press it once you get your CD player, second time you get your Grom kit.
Old 12-26-11, 05:05 PM
InzaneIS
Driver School Candidate

Default Thinking of getting the Grom Bluetooth Setup

Guys,
I am interested in getting the GROM kit for an IS250 *2008*, with Bluetooth.
I like the fact that I can stream audio without using cables and wihtout showing many cables period.

I did experiment the Griffin and Blackberry gateway via AUX in the arm rest and I hated the audio quality and I mean the sound was not close to AUX quality sound connected via dock connecter that i bought from Radio Shack.

I see in your posts you have mentioned that once you make sure that the songs are good quality, then streaming bluetooth should sound almost close to CD quality and aux quality?

Can you please elaborate and let me know that the sound does infact is good from the grom bluetooth stream and it can be compared to the aux input sound?
Old 12-26-11, 08:10 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

InzaneIS, first of all welcome to CL... I only got to work with my GROM kit for a week or so before I had to leave for Afghanistan (again). Honestly, the audio via bluetooth was decent quality. The only thing that really bugged me was the volume levels, but that could have been my phone or the actual song on my phone. iPod was great, no issues there other than the new iPod nano gen was giving me headaches, but that could be the actual iPod because everything else was working fine. I think you will like it, compared to AUX and straight connection .... the kit would work best.
Old 12-26-11, 08:20 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice DiY
Old 12-26-11, 09:57 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally speaking audio quality over BT won't be as good (for music) as a direct dock-to-AUX connection.

There's a lot of "it depends on" things including the codecs supported by the sending device and the receiving device (SBC, the one that all A2DP stuff supports, isn't very good for example) and the bitrate allowed for A2DP on both devices as well.
Old 12-26-11, 10:10 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Step 1 very important indeed!

Very nice work
Old 12-27-11, 02:07 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Generally speaking audio quality over BT won't be as good (for music) as a direct dock-to-AUX connection.

There's a lot of "it depends on" things including the codecs supported by the sending device and the receiving device (SBC, the one that all A2DP stuff supports, isn't very good for example) and the bitrate allowed for A2DP on both devices as well.
Word!!!
Old 01-02-12, 07:04 AM
InzaneIS
Driver School Candidate

Gil Thanks for your reply, I think i forgot step one and broke the center ac vents clips.
The center ac vent fits fine but i can see there'a minor gap of how it sits between the dash only from the top.
I have a 2008 IS250 Awd do u know where can i find the center ac vent?
Old 01-02-12, 07:16 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

i think i will be purchasing this seems like a good thing to have if you have ipod
Old 04-20-12, 05:34 AM
ThanhLoan
Driver School Candidate

Default GROM-USB2 on my 2007 ES350

I installed this unit without removing the factory radio.
I am very satisfied with the USB and iPod interface. Bluetooth A2DP streaming is of CD quality.
There is a microphone included with the Bluetooth dongle ; however, I just wonder if there is already a mic in the overhead console so I can use it instead.
Anyone knows where this OEM microphone is connected ?

Thanks
Old 04-20-12, 06:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ThanhLoan
I installed this unit without removing the factory radio.
I am very satisfied with the USB and iPod interface. Bluetooth A2DP streaming is of CD quality.
There is a microphone included with the Bluetooth dongle ; however, I just wonder if there is already a mic in the overhead console so I can use it instead.
Anyone knows where this OEM microphone is connected ?

Thanks
A2DP is not CD quality... it doesn't have the bandwidth for that.... 320-ish kb/sec is considered high quality for BT audio... CD quality is 1411 kb/sec

Now, most folks probably won't hear the difference, especially in a car rather than a quiet room, but it's not CD quality any more than the typical MP3 is.
Old 05-03-12, 07:08 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Will this work on a Navi equipped model? I'd like to keep the OEM BT phone connection and only use the Grom BT for BT audio.
Old 05-07-12, 04:53 AM
ThanhLoan
Driver School Candidate

I don<t have Nav but according toi what I read, yes, it will work.
This GROM unit will simply replace your CD changer.

Quick Reply: Grom ipod & bluetooth DIY