IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus is250 awd or is350 for the same price? which one would you choose

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 07:01 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots to consider.
Because both cars have wide tires, snow tires make a hugh difference. I put snow tires on my AWD because while it could take off fast in snow, it could not turn or break in a similar fashion. So AWD with snow tires is the ultimate....

The AWD has a hump in the drivers footwell whereas the RWD's do not. Something to consider from an interior comfort standpoint.

I would have bought a 350AWD if it were available in 2007 but I am very happy with the performance and power of my 'slightly' modifed IS250AWD.. lol
Old 08-27-11, 07:29 AM
filthywet
Driver

I'd say is350 bro
Old 08-27-11, 07:49 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take a 350 for sure!
Old 08-27-11, 09:20 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

I've owned both a is250 awd and a IS350. I can tell you that the difference in snow performance across both vehicles is so small it's insignificant. I do not have dedicted snow tires and I live in chicago where it's winter half the year. Personally I think the Lexus awd system is crap. I had an Evo before i had my IS250 awd and the snow performance in the Evo was 100x better, it was almost like an off road vehicle. Most of the time driving the IS250 awd it was hard to tell it actually had awd as it's rwd biased. VDIM still kicks in way to early on both vehicles making it nearly impossible to spin out or lose control. After owning my IS350 my only regret is that I actually wasted money on the IS250 awd and had to sell it for the 350. I should have just bougth the 350 first.
Old 08-27-11, 09:27 AM
Trza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are dead set on a used vehicle, go with the 350 and use snow tires. But if you can make it work, get the best of both and go for the AWD 350! I used winter tires with my AWD 350 last winter and it was a joy to drive in the snow. I'm not sure how much snow you encounter, but unless there's snow on the ground for 5 months out of the year like I have to deal with, you'll be fine with a good set of winters. Good luck on finding your IS
Old 08-27-11, 11:25 AM
silk509
Rookie

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I don't know what years you're looking at, but I'll assume something akin to the '07 Acura TL Type-S. The IS250 AWD and the TL aren't comparable at all - the TL has 86 more HP and is FWD. The TL is much more comparable to the IS350 in terms of power and performance. I personally dislike FWD for a performance car - putting 300 HP through the wheels you steer doesn't make for as rewarding a driving experience as RWD, in my opinion.

I highly recommend finding a dealer with both an IS350 and an IS250 AWD (even if they're not each matching exactly what you'd like), so you can drive them back-to-back if you're this torn.

As far as your last question, I don't think there's a "right" answer to that, because everyone's needs and experiences are different. I'd start with these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nter-snow.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wd-vs-awd.html

I don't have winter wheels/tires because I don't live in an area that gets much snow. I can tell you though that from what I've read online, tires make a far bigger difference in snow-driving effectiveness than drivetrain. One is not necessarily "better" than the other, as snow tires and AWD have different areas of benefit. From a relevant article:

AWD is better for getting you out of a stuck situation (like having your parking spot plowed in), and general handling – but in terms of keeping you out of an accident, Snow Tires are where its at. An AWD car can slide just as well as a RWD at speed, its the tires that help avoid that as much as possible.

So as far as winter performance, your best bet would be an AWD with winter tires. Your worst bet would be a RWD car with non-winter tires. In between those two extremes, there's "AWD car with non-snow tires" and there's "RWD car with snow tires". As far as which of those latter two is better than the other, it depends on what you want. Like the quote says above, AWD will be better about getting you out of stuck situations, but snow tires will serve you better while driving by keeping you on the road.

Others can chime in, but here's my feeling: unless you live somewhere that gets serious snow an inordinate proportion of the year, you're going to be driving in non-snow conditions for most of the time. In these conditions, a RWD IS350 will be a far better performer and will be much more fun. During the times you may find yourself in snow, throwing snow tires on your RWD IS350 will get you much of if not as much or more than the benefit of having AWD. Keep in mind that for 100% of the time, AWD adds weight to the car, which increases braking distance, saps performance, and reduces fuel efficiency. If you get snow 10% of the year, it'd be hard to justify driving around for 90% of the year with an extra unnecessary couple hundred pounds.

I'd go with the IS350.

thanks for all your help calvin, i guess my final question would be like if my town had around 12-16 in of snow would the 350 handle it great. i think thats like a foot of snow that we usually get then snow here and there( 2 inch-6 inch) .
Old 08-27-11, 12:23 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it snows, depends on HOW much?

Your car will barely get around RWD. Alot of people who are saying 350 dont know how it is to drive in the snow. Unless you dont get too much snow like here in denver. It melts fats and roads are ALWAYS clear.

350's here in Denver driver as good as the 250 AWD.

Its a toss up buth 350 with snow tires will be A-OK.
Old 08-27-11, 01:54 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silk509
thanks for all your help calvin, i guess my final question would be like if my town had around 12-16 in of snow would the 350 handle it great. i think thats like a foot of snow that we usually get then snow here and there( 2 inch-6 inch) .
Let me preface by saying that I have only driven my 350 in an inch or two of snow, and only a few times. Others should chime in that have better experience with driving their 2IS in deep snow.

It sounds like you're saying that in the winter, you usually get 2-6 inches of snow but on rare occasion you can get snow as deep as 12-16 inches. If I were in your position, I'd be asking these questions:

1) How much of the year does it snow?
2) How often do I get these big 12-16 inch snows?
3) Do I HAVE to drive in those conditions? Is there a way I can work from home, for example?

My thinking is that in heavy snows of 12-16 inches, I'm not sure you'd want to be in an IS250 AWD OR an IS350 with snow tires. The ground clearance is listed as 5.7 inches... So if you get heavy snows like that frequently, maybe a different car entirely is called for.

If those snows are in fact rare, then I'd personally be thinking how imperative it'd be that I drive in those conditions when they occur. Obviously an AWD would be better than RWD (no matter what the tires) at getting out of stuck situations. But if I get 1-2 big snows like that a year, and I can work from home for a day when it occurs until the roads are cleared, then I'd still be going IS350. If I was in a situation where I had to be able to drive no matter what the conditions and there was a good chance of heavy snows somewhat frequently, I'd be looking at a different car (SUV for example).

I think in 2-6 inches, a RWD with snow tires would perform very well.

I'd recommend reading the two threads I linked to above, as it gives firsthand accounts of people driving both in snowy conditions. Again, I don't think there's a "right" answer to which of the two is better. Both have strengths and weaknesses, and it comes down to weighing them against what you need. In your particular case, it comes down to weighing how much you need the absolute best snow performance (which would be AWD with snow tires) against the cons of this the rest of the year (added weight, worse performance, worse fuel economy, longer braking distance, requirement that you get the 250 instead of the 350 which means you lose the power and fun factor of the 350, etc).
Old 08-27-11, 02:40 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by my95tsi
I've owned both a is250 awd and a IS350. I can tell you that the difference in snow performance across both vehicles is so small it's insignificant. I do not have dedicted snow tires and I live in chicago where it's winter half the year. Personally I think the Lexus awd system is crap. I had an Evo before i had my IS250 awd and the snow performance in the Evo was 100x better, it was almost like an off road vehicle. Most of the time driving the IS250 awd it was hard to tell it actually had awd as it's rwd biased. VDIM still kicks in way to early on both vehicles making it nearly impossible to spin out or lose control. After owning my IS350 my only regret is that I actually wasted money on the IS250 awd and had to sell it for the 350. I should have just bougth the 350 first.
I'm in Chicago and you should get snow tires.
Old 08-27-11, 09:59 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

i'd vote otherwise.. of course we would like to have the extra horses but the awd will serve you better in bad weather conditions.

one word - practical.
Old 08-27-11, 10:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rookieIS
i'd vote otherwise.. of course we would like to have the extra horses but the awd will serve you better in bad weather conditions.

one word - practical.
That's really not true as a blanket statement though.

For one- most folks with AWD never bother to change their tires. For everything except climbing very steep hills in snow, a RWD car with snow tires will perform significantly better than an AWD car with all-season tires.

If you put snow tires on both (and almost nobody with AWD does) the AWD car will now take off from a stop better... but it won't stop any better (in fact, it's a heavier car you're now trying to stop, and AWD is useless for braking)... and the extra weight is doing you no favors for handling either...

as car and driver concluded when they tested RWD vs. AWD vs. FWD with snows vs. all-seasons:

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Four-wheel drive helps get cars going. When it comes time to brake or change direction on low-traction surfaces, the extra mass of the driveline becomes more of a detriment. Folks who live in hilly places that get snow may need the climbing capability of four-wheel drive. If it snows a lot in those hilly places, they should probably invest in winter tires, too...

Almost everyone else will most likely be better served by using winter tires. Acceleration takes longer, but in an emergency, the handling behavior and improved lateral grip of two-wheel drive and winter tires -- in the slippery stuff -- are the safer bets.
Old 08-28-11, 10:12 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gaugster
I'm in Chicago and you should get snow tires.
Umm why?? I've owned numerous rwd vehicles and never found a need for snow tires over all seasons and i've lived in Chicago my whole life. Then again I can drive....
Old 08-28-11, 12:35 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by my95tsi
Umm why?? I've owned numerous rwd vehicles and never found a need for snow tires over all seasons and i've lived in Chicago my whole life. Then again I can drive....
You just don't know how much more fun it is and it keeps your OEM rims out of harms way with all the potholes and whatnot. Plus we have been getting way more snow these last few seasons. But do what you want...AWD all about luxury on a car like a Lexus.

Last edited by Gaugster; 08-28-11 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-28-11, 12:51 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disclaimer: I did not read through the whole thread. I went IS250 AWD and am glad I did. We do not get as much snow as you do but the car handled well last year in the snow. Also, the 250 will be better in fuel than the 350 but then we also have less power....

I would not ever go back to a RWD in my area.
Old 08-28-11, 01:55 PM
96732IS350
Rookie

350 ftw, for the same price I would never think twice even if i have to pay xtra to get the 350 i still would. glad i bought a 350, rode a 250 for a loaner and felt like it had a hard time moving....get a 350 coz in no time u will be trading your 250 for 350 sooner or later

Quick Reply: Lexus is250 awd or is350 for the same price? which one would you choose