IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sewell Prices went up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 06:52 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just want the gfx sides to go on sale!
Old 08-21-11, 07:14 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport350
I checked on the price for the F-sport exhaust on Thursday 8/18 and it was $1086.40. On Saturday 8/20, when I was checking out the price went down to $1076.70! ...yea it's only like $10 but hey
LOL brian, $10 makes a huge difference
Old 08-22-11, 02:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow I find it so funny that people are quick to complain when Sewell, a vendor that hooks everyone up with special pricing just for being a CL member, decides to bump up prices a little. I bet you 90%+ of the prices are still cheaper than what you would pay at your dealership if you walked in to your local one right now and asked for the part.

Sewell, like any other business, is subject to supplier cost, the market and demand. When the demand is up, the prices raise a bit (usually because suppliers raise prices too), when demand dies down, you sell items up for cheaper to clear inventory and make some profit vs. having the products sit in storage collecting dust.

I think some people forget, Sewell isn't making these parts. They have supplier costs too. GFX lips aren't made at their dealership! lol

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I'm doing so now. Only cause sewell wants to sell me the steering damper for $26... Great price. But they want $12 in shipping.
So for that reason I'm shopping elsewhere. I wish sewell would just put some stamps on it and I get the item in 2 weeks rather then 5 days.
O well.
I bet you if Sewell did this they'd have complaints then about how slow the shipping is
Majority of people aren't going to wait 2 weeks for items to arrive anymore.

Originally Posted by GilIS250
$285.60 for the Obsidian Rear GFX Lip... it was 268 not too long ago... Ugh!!!
Considering the GFX lip is discontinued, makes sense price goes up when there are fewer of them left.

Originally Posted by mjh09e
Isn't Sewell a vendor on here? I feel like they raised the prices on items they sell a lot of.
Oh boy...any of my business professors would have went NUTS on you if you asked them that question

Last edited by KillaIS250; 08-22-11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 03:20 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Its just business fellas. There here to make money just like every other vendor.
Old 08-22-11, 03:50 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh boy...any of my business professors would have went NUTS on you if you asked them that question [/QUOTE]

I'm a finance/entrepreneurship major and you don't know what you are talking about. I understand that the CGS (Cost of Good Sold) may have gone up, but I still believe that they are playing price games with us. The cost for the set of both the front and rear sway bars decreased by $4, which means to me that they are trying to encourage people to by the set rather than just the rear...even though most people by the rear only, which is why they think they can afford to raise the prices on us because the demand for just the rear is so high.

Old 08-22-11, 04:25 PM
TheSenator
Pole Position

I have my BBA in finance and work as a finance analyst for the EVP of a major sporting good retailer.

You also have to consider they must meet a certain margin % to stay in business.
They shift prices according to the market. Costs (including CGS, landing, supplier, or manufacturing costs), availability, demand, competition, interest rates for financing of inventory, inflation, all affect retail pricing.

If they can't make some kind of profit there's no point in selling it all. VERY FEW items are actually considered "traffic catching" items, or items sold at or near their landed costs.
If that steering dampner was $110, no one would have said anything about only $12 in shipping, but since we get it very cheaply at $26 the relative % increase changes its intrinsic value?

I have noticed the EXTREMELY limited supply of aftermarket parts for our vehicles compared to lots of others makes/models. We should be happy that we have a decent supplier regardless of costs.

Last edited by TheSenator; 08-22-11 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 04:31 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I'm a finance/entrepreneurship major and you don't know what you are talking about. I understand that the CGS (Cost of Good Sold) may have gone up, but I still believe that they are playing price games with us. The cost for the set of both the front and rear sway bars decreased by $4, which means to me that they are trying to encourage people to by the set rather than just the rear...even though most people by the rear only, which is why they think they can afford to raise the prices on us because the demand for just the rear is so high.

Dropping the price a mere $4 does not suggest they are trying to make you buy the set instead. I don't think anyone is going to buy the full set instead of just the rear now because the set dropped $4. I have no idea why you think a $4 drop would be to make people buy the set? $40 maybe, but not $4.

If your saying they decreased the price on the set and increased the price on the rear, that sounds about right. If the rear is selling more than the front, it makes sense to raise the price on the rear and drop the price of the set anyways. For one, your breaking up a set, and since most people are looking to buy either a set or just rears, the front's are diminished in value without the rears. Second, goes back to the basics of demand, the demand is higher, its a business = raise price on the rears a bit.

People should be happy we have a vendor like Sewell willing to split the parts. I went to buy the rear F-sport sway on sale at Lexus of Westminster meet last month and at first they told my buddy the rears were about $160. I stood in line to buy them and they said they will not break up the set. Which was, of course, cheaper on Sewell than it was on sale at Lexus of Westminster.

Last edited by KillaIS250; 08-22-11 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 04:39 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I'm doing so now. Only cause sewell wants to sell me the steering damper for $26... Great price. But they want $12 in shipping.
So for that reason I'm shopping elsewhere. I wish sewell would just put some stamps on it and I get the item in 2 weeks rather then 5 days.
O well.
The shipping price you pay isn't what FedEx/UPS charges. That's included but Sewell also has to pay someone to go get that part and package it up. It doesn't happen all by itself. So you can have it delivered in 3 or 4 days for $12 or two weeks for $9.

Also, Sewell can charge higher prices because they are still WAY lower than almost anyplace else. Even with the new prices, go to the dealer and ask for that price and watch as you get laughed out the door.
Old 08-22-11, 06:14 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I don't care why you all think the prices went up lol....I always look for the best deals for everything. I work hard for my money, so I'm not going to have to spend any more than I have to.

How many of you all went to the dealership and saw the MSRP for your Lexus and said "I know you guys have to make money, I'll take it for that good *** MSRP price!"

Not me. I was there for 6 hours trying to get the price I wanted!
Old 08-22-11, 06:31 PM
Supremancy
Driver School Candidate

Although they went up, its still cheaper than the dealer soooo...They are still my go to
Old 08-22-11, 06:56 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

At the end of the day, no one wants to spend more money for something they could have gotten cheaper yesterday....At least I know I don't.
Old 08-22-11, 07:43 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

At the end of the day, no one wants to spend more money for something they could have gotten cheaper yesterday....At least I know I don't.
Very true. But we all have to accept that it's how things are/gotta be. Otherwise your life will be very stressful lol
Old 08-22-11, 07:50 PM
TheSenator
Pole Position

The beauty of capitalism and the (mostly)free market.
If enough people feel this way, your demand curve shifts, causing prices to shift in the same direction. Prices are always directly proportional to demand.

PS-not directed at MJH, just going off of his good point.

Does anyone remember they give us a decent discount? We could be paying dealership retail...
Old 08-22-11, 08:55 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

I guess you havent bought much gas in the last few years
Old 08-23-11, 05:29 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

G37S Coupe > IS350 Sedan. Saving some money on gas....and a lot of money on insurance.

Quick Reply: Sewell Prices went up?