IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Used IS350. Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 12:49 PM
coverchian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried Santa Monica Lexus several times. They started with $29-$32K for similar conditions. After a while, they dropped it to $26-$27K CPO. But I have missed the deals all the time after I saw the email notices.
Old 08-19-11, 03:21 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by subparrnd
Just to let you know. This car has had all of the recalls done on it.
Not doubting you, but can you share how you know this from what was posted? Or did you look something up yourself separately? I'm trying to learn for future reference. From what was posted, it looks like only 2 recalls were performed:

Dealer Reported 12/17/2010 Lexus of Huntsville 34280 0102654 ALE REPL COMP SPRINGS & LASH ADJUSTERS FOR IS 350
Dealer Reported 12/17/2010 Lexus of Huntsville 34280 0102654 9LG REPL PEDAL PAD, REFLASH, AWFM - IS MODELS ONLY

The valve springs were replaced on 12/17/2010. It has a POWERTRAIN warranty until 4/28/2014 from Lexus. They give all owners a 6 yr/100K due to the valve spring recall.
Can you explain how you know that it has the extended powertrain warranty? I ask because the extended powertrain warranty from the valve spring recall expires upon transfer to a commercial entity like a dealership. The owner that owned the car when the recall was performed gets the extended powertrain warranty to 100k, and this can be transferred to another private buyer. However, if the owner were to trade this car in to a dealership (Lexus or not), this 100k powertrain warranty expires and is not transferable to the next buyer. I know this because I verified it with Lexus corporate when I bought my IS350 6 months ago. The previous owner was the owner when the recall was performed and he got the 100k warranty, however he then traded it into a Lexus dealer for a different car, and when I bought the car from that dealer it did NOT have the 100k warranty. I called Lexus corporate and they verified this is the case.
Old 08-20-11, 07:16 AM
subparrnd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Not doubting you, but can you share how you know this from what was posted? Or did you look something up yourself separately? I'm trying to learn for future reference. From what was posted, it looks like only 2 recalls were performed:

Dealer Reported 12/17/2010 Lexus of Huntsville 34280 0102654 ALE REPL COMP SPRINGS & LASH ADJUSTERS FOR IS 350
Dealer Reported 12/17/2010 Lexus of Huntsville 34280 0102654 9LG REPL PEDAL PAD, REFLASH, AWFM - IS MODELS ONLY

Can you explain how you know that it has the extended powertrain warranty? I ask because the extended powertrain warranty from the valve spring recall expires upon transfer to a commercial entity like a dealership. The owner that owned the car when the recall was performed gets the extended powertrain warranty to 100k, and this can be transferred to another private buyer. However, if the owner were to trade this car in to a dealership (Lexus or not), this 100k powertrain warranty expires and is not transferable to the next buyer. I know this because I verified it with Lexus corporate when I bought my IS350 6 months ago. The previous owner was the owner when the recall was performed and he got the 100k warranty, however he then traded it into a Lexus dealer for a different car, and when I bought the car from that dealer it did NOT have the 100k warranty. I called Lexus corporate and they verified this is the case.
You actually are doubting me by even asking, but I will tell you that I work for Lexus and have access to info that you do not.

As for the FACTORY power train warranty that comes with the recall. It stays with the car. If it were a purchased EXTENDED warranty, it would need to be transferred.

Per my F&I manager, any FACTORY warranty that Lexus gives, STAYS with the car.

Hope this helps.

Homer
Old 08-20-11, 08:59 AM
calvin2376
Racer

You actually are doubting me by even asking, but I will tell you that I work for Lexus and have access to info that you do not.
I hope you re-read this statement and realize ridiculously how holier-than-thou you sound. HOW DARE I QUESTION THEE?!?

I asked the question in order to expand my understanding. I recognized that you likely had some different information or different way of reading the above information that enabled you to ascertain that all the recalls were performed. That's all I wanted to know - how exactly you knew this, so that I could learn and be able to use that information in the future when reading vehicle history reports. This information would also be helpful to other CL members.

I thought you were able to read all this from only the information posted. All you had to say was that you work for Lexus and had access to more information than that. I'm not sure how I could have phrased my question differently to make you realize I only wanted to learn from you - I even prefaced it with "not doubting you" (which I meant sincerely, but which really shouldn't have been necessary because only a rude person would read my question that way).

As for the FACTORY power train warranty that comes with the recall. It stays with the car. If it were a purchased EXTENDED warranty, it would need to be transferred.

Per my F&I manager, any FACTORY warranty that Lexus gives, STAYS with the car.
This is good to know, thank you for the information. I should mention (and please, don't take this the wrong way sir) that it runs exactly counter to what the selling Lexus dealership and the division of Lexus corporate handling the recalls/giftcard/extended warranty told me when I bought my car (which did have the 100k warranty attached BEFORE it was transferred to a dealership). I should double-check with them though because this would be good to know.
Old 08-20-11, 11:01 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
^ right and the car he was looking at is a 2008... so i'll clarify: I have never seen a 2008 IS with nav and no HIDs.

If someone owns one then I stand corrected but its still an unlikely combo for that year.
My 08 IS250 RWD which I purchased at the end of last month does not have HID. I was a bit surprised but it also gave me opportunity to upgrade and use IS 2011 lights in the future.

Originally Posted by Lexus
Accessories .....: FT NV PT EF+GN+LM+WL+
Note, mine does not have HL entry which is for HID.

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2008...s_options.html

For those two entries, I happen to know them because there were threads talking about it those in particular. Also adding the fact that these two were already were done to my own car.

I happen to know because there were threads talking about it. Not to mention that my cars has this done.

Last edited by Sango; 08-20-11 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-20-11, 11:59 AM
subparrnd
Pole Position

I hope you re-read this statement and realize ridiculously how holier-than-thou you sound. HOW DARE I QUESTION THEE?!?

I asked the question in order to expand my understanding. I recognized that you likely had some different information or different way of reading the above information that enabled you to ascertain that all the recalls were performed. That's all I wanted to know - how exactly you knew this, so that I could learn and be able to use that information in the future when reading vehicle history reports. This information would also be helpful to other CL members.

I thought you were able to read all this from only the information posted. All you had to say was that you work for Lexus and had access to more information than that. I'm not sure how I could have phrased my question differently to make you realize I only wanted to learn from you - I even prefaced it with "not doubting you" (which I meant sincerely, but which really shouldn't have been necessary because only a rude person would read my question that way).

This is good to know, thank you for the information. I should mention (and please, don't take this the wrong way sir) that it runs exactly counter to what the selling Lexus dealership and the division of Lexus corporate handling the recalls/giftcard/extended warranty told me when I bought my car (which did have the 100k warranty attached BEFORE it was transferred to a dealership). I should double-check with them though because this would be good to know.
So yeah, anyway, the recalls were performed and the warranty should carry over to the new owner.

Sorry if you took it as sounding "holier-than-thou", but usually when someone starts a sentence with, "not wanting to doubt you...BUT" it usually does mean that they are doubting you. We do not have the benefit of infliction since we are just typing words on a page, but I surely did not mean to sound, "holier-than-thou." Perhaps you ought to reread your statement as well.

Let's get back to the OP's topic and put the bickering aside. Have a great weekend!

Thanks,

Homer
Old 08-21-11, 10:13 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Update. Got the car got $26500 out the door. Seriously one of the nicest cars I've ever owned. In love. Thanks fellas. Let the modding begin!

Last edited by YoNadz; 08-21-11 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 07:50 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by YoNadz
Update. Got the car got $26500 out the door. Seriously one of the nicest cars I've ever owned. In love. Thanks fellas. Let the modding begin!
Congrats, I think you got a great deal in a tough market for buyers and you'll love the car.
Old 08-22-11, 08:28 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great price! go for it!
Old 08-22-11, 12:48 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

finally you got it.