IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Remove lexus logo from steering wheel?

Old 08-17-11, 08:13 PM
Zoli007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove lexus logo from steering wheel?

Is there a way to remove the chrome logo from the middle of the steering wheel? During my commute I often have the sun reflecting from the damn thing right into my eyes. I sometimes have to put a post it or anything I can find in the car to block it so I dont get blinded. One of the very few things I dont like about the car.

Is it possible to remove this and replace it with either a matte black one or a gunmetal grey or something...?
Old 08-17-11, 08:21 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Plasti dip, or wear your stunner shades!!
Old 08-17-11, 08:21 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Im pretty sure you can plastidip it. I remember seeing someone had done it a while back, but cant find the picture. its worth a shot. its really easy and a can of plastidip is only $6. If you dont know what plastidip is then look it up, it will make the symbol matte black.
Old 08-17-11, 08:36 PM
Zoli007
Driver School Candidate

Ok sounds good. Im assuming its simply stuck onto the wheel like a sticker. A little heat from a hair dryer and carefull prying should do the trick no?
Old 08-17-11, 08:41 PM
FutureITR
Driver

my only concern about prying or hitting a heat gun to it is you might melt the steering wheel or even damage it. I would just mask it off and plastidip it.
Old 08-17-11, 09:18 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I am not a fan of plasticdipping car parts, its probably the best solution here. Its cheap, applies easily, easily removable, you dont damage the steering wheel and most importantly, theres no risk of the airbag deploying in your face while you are trying to pry the emblem off with a large screwdriver.
Old 08-17-11, 09:31 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Odd problem to have. You must just drive to work at the exact time of the sun hitting it in just the right spot. Have window tint?
Old 08-17-11, 09:34 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

I have the same problem, and it bothered me from day one about the car on certain sunny days. I don't like the idea of removing the emblem to plastidip it.

Believe it or not my workaround is to just keep my left arm on top of the wheel so that it casts a shadow on the emblem and blocks the sun. I've gotten used to doing that, so a year later it doesn't bother me enough to seek other solutions. On the other hand if I became aware of a replacement emblem that the dealer could put on for me that was dark, I'd go for it in a second.

Going forward I wish all car makers would stop putting shiny chrome bling in the interior, annoying or maybe even a safety issue in some cases.
Old 08-17-11, 09:35 PM
FutureITR
Driver

Well, the airbag won't deply without the impact sensor being hit, but i'm pretty sure he could do some serious damage he'll regret.
Do you have tinted windows? That could solve the issue in most ways =D
Old 08-17-11, 10:00 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

You dont have to remove the emblem to plastic dip it.

I know there is more chance of you getting hit by lightening then deploying the airbag by trying to pry off the emblem from your steering wheel, but who knows? Do you want to risk it?

Plus, lets face it, your wife or girlfriend or significant other is going to be pretty ticked when you keep sounding the horn while you are trying to pry that emblem off.
Old 08-17-11, 10:04 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FutureITR
Well, the airbag won't deply without the impact sensor being hit, but i'm pretty sure he could do some serious damage he'll regret.
Do you have tinted windows? That could solve the issue in most ways =D
Not meaning to hijack the conversation from the original poster (but since I can confirm his dilemma I will chime in anyway) ....

... unfortunately tinted windows only help a fraction of the time (I have huper ceramic everywhere except windshield, and usually most of the glare comes through the windshield).
Old 08-17-11, 10:07 PM
FutureITR
Driver

Originally Posted by evogt500

I know there is more chance of you getting hit by lightening then deploying the airbag by trying to pry off the emblem from your steering wheel, but who knows? Do you want to risk it?

Plus, lets face it, your wife or girlfriend or significant other is going to be pretty ticked when you keep sounding the horn while you are trying to pry that emblem off.
Bolded for laughs
Old 08-17-11, 10:07 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evogt500
From what I've read, it can be brushed on?

But removing the plastidip later (i.e. before resale) seems painful, like it would be hard to do without removing the emblem, otherwise potentially damaging the wheel. Just observations from reading, no first-hand experience with the stuff.
Old 08-17-11, 11:01 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plastidip is really easy to remove.

you can remove the cover part with the emblem to plastidip. just make sure to disconnect the battery first. it's just held on with two screws.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-damper.html
Old 08-17-11, 11:33 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MBTC
From what I've read, it can be brushed on?

But removing the plastidip later (i.e. before resale) seems painful, like it would be hard to do without removing the emblem, otherwise potentially damaging the wheel. Just observations from reading, no first-hand experience with the stuff.
You can brush it on but the spray can might be easier. Just be sure to tape off any parts you dont want sprayed. You can easily peel off any overspray.

Removal is just as easy since its peels off effortlessly like cheese on a stale pizza. Again, i am not a fan of plastic dip but i have seen really good results from it on this forum.

Last edited by evogt500; 08-18-11 at 12:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove lexus logo from steering wheel?