Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jared putting the SMACK DOWN!!!
Old 08-17-11, 12:12 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I completely agree with all of your statements

I love japanese cars and have an even deeper love for lexus, but this does not and should not bias my opinion towards american cars. Its simply ignorant to say that american cars are crap... If they were crap, there wouldn't be any of them on the road. I would go further into this, but Hoovey pretty much wrote a book on the topic already lol

To the OP: I personally would keep the lexus. I'm in love with the styling of the 2IS. It's a beautiful car inside and out with great reliability.
Old 08-17-11, 10:18 AM
tjschraf
Driver

Thanks for all the help. I decided I am going to wait on the GTO until I graduate and have a full time job and do not need to daily drive it. I am hoping for the 25k range and I will sell it and look for something else (I don't care what it is at the moment). If it doesn't sell, I will thoroughly enjoy keeping it.

I agree with all the above statements, American cars are great cars and have proven it in reliability recently. There are very few cars that are completely foreign in their makeup as well as very few that are completely american in their makeup.
Old 08-17-11, 11:04 AM
MonsterIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Both these statements are downright ignorant.

There is no perfect car, despite some brands holding up better than others. There are some buyers who never experience any problems with their Chevy or BMW, and some who bought their Honda thinking it was bulletproof and were proved otherwise. In recent years, there has been a decline in Japanese quality and a steady rise in American, Euro and Korean. With a more level field of competitors today than years of yore, buyers choose whatever best suits their needs. Image is subjective. If they chose to buy from an American make over a Japanese make, clearly the strengths of American one trumped that of the Japanese one.

Pontiac went out of business because old GM mismanaged and diluted the brands sporty heritage with poor cost cutting, platform sharing, and no imagination. Had they known now what they didn't know then, the Pontiac nameplate could have been saved. A real shame considering the G8 would have changed the brand in the right direction.

And your argument is based on what? Materials used? Engineering? Design? Innovation? Assembly? The year 2006 saw a good number of American vehicles raise their standards in regards to the aforementioned categories. Today the American auto industry has been completely revamped and is now more competitive than ever. Have you even been in a current domestic vehicle? This isn't your daddy's caddy. Everything from materials and fit and finish to engineering powertrains designs and safety have made leaps and bounds. Unfortunately there is still much ignorance when it comes to American image and nameplate association. The only reason foreign cars get a pass over domestic is because of image. Europeans get the nod over their American counterparts due to their prestige pedigree and plush interiors despite the SAME poor reliability (and often worse electronics). Japanese makes get the nod because they proved their metal in the 70s 80s and 90s. Of course here we are in the new millennium and Japanese quality has seen a decline. Not to mention design language from some (most notably Honda) have begged the question. What Happened!?!?

… a true car enthusiast will look past brand and name and image, to build up and utilize whatever vehicle they’ve chosen to its full potential. Obviously a GTO and IS350 are different in many ways (different strokes for different folks), but both are vehicles with which advantage falls to the owners preference (Luxury and comfort or rawness and speed in this case)

Have you driven let alone sat in a domestic car that's not from 2004-06 ie your friends GTO? As I mentioned above, these are not your daddy’s cars, these are well rounded vehicles that are full of innovative tech, engineering and design that can compete with the very best that Europe, Korea and Japan have to offer. Whoa now your being a little hypocritical. The Z06 has a cheap interior and inferior seats. I won’t even mention the Vipers interior.

Seriously what are you smoking? American cars are crap because they are going out of business? Ford whittled its brands from 8 to 2 to keep from bankruptcy, which has given them more focus on their core brand and luxury brand. GM and Chrysler repaid their government loans within a fraction of the time it was conceived to be done. All three have rising sales figures. The Ford Fusion has a higher resale value than a comparable Toyota Camry. Ford and Lincoln have been atop J.D. Power listings for quality for several years now. Lincoln and Buick were atop the ACSI (American Consumer Satisfaction Index) for the first time in 2010 and rose even higher in 2011 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...time-ever.html). Or please visit my Recall thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ll-thread.html) where you’ll note more Asian manufactures are having problems. American cars are going nowhere and are here to stay.

Your bias and criteria for "crap" is based on how a dealership looks? Do you get off trolling?

Here’s the skinny of it. There’s no denying the past (European cars take note…), but as we are in the present and heading into the future, all these biased opinions of American automakers are becoming tiresome and need to end. If you want to revel in the past and follow the cliché that American cars are bad go right ahead as you are entitled to your (subjective) opinion. But market share, sales figures, awards and winning reviews/comparison tests don't lie. American cars are good cars.

I guess for Trolls, Ignorance is bliss.

Back on topic:

OP, depends on what you want. With the GTO you'll lose the luxury and comfort of the Lexus but gain rawness and power. Between the two in this case, the Lexus is more likely to hold up in the long run whereas you can mod the GTO more though. To be honest, how you described the condition of your current car, there’s nothing wrong with it. There should be many more years of fun and enjoyment to be had.

looks like someone doesnt know a lot about cars. do you believe everything you see..? J D Power awards doesn't mean that much. The reason why its projected to have a higher resale value is because they keep on changing the models every 1-2 years compared to toyota, 4-6 years. Its obvious that Foreighn cars are a whole lot better, take a look on the roads, you see more foreighn cars then domestic. Why? Cuz people, unlike you, realize that they are better in qaulity, and in the long run. its obvie, American cars are nothing compared to Foreighn cars. Hate to bust your bubble, its the truth.!!!!
Old 08-17-11, 11:09 AM
tjschraf
Driver

where i am from, foreign cars still get ran off the road. There is nothing that can compare to an american truck. But every automaker inspects each others cars stripping them to nothing and learn off each other.
Old 08-17-11, 11:30 AM
350FSport
Driver

Regardless of perceived "quality", the interior of that GTO is hideous. The rims are hideous. The body style is hideous. The **** look like they were designed by a 2 year old.

As for quality, I have a Ford Escape, 2009, which had "rave" reviews about reliability. 22k miles, it needed a complete transmission rebuild (thankfully under warranty). Now at 45k miles, I am scared to death the transmission will give out at 61k as soon as warranty is up. I paid close to 30k for it, every option available. It is great looking and interior is really nice. The Nav system is hands down by far better than the Lexus nav. That said, you know what it is worth for trade in now, 2 years later? 16K!! So between that and the transmission issues and rough shifting, I had enough. I gave American a shot, and it will be the last time I do. I am 31, and will probably buy another 10 cars in my lifetime if not more, none of them will be American.

To each their own.
Old 08-17-11, 11:44 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah man.... "MY LEXUS IS THE GREATEST EVER", you guys need some help.....

Just because you own one doesnt mean someone is putting you down, or talking about your mothers.....

Lets face it, NEXT to all other Lexus models... the IS was rushed into production, they still use cheap parts all over the car, The motor in the 250 gets clogged up with carbon at 30,000 miles and LEXUS themselfs cant fix it... just issue TSB's and hope a cleaning will shut up a customer.

-Why dont you tell all the people who have the "GREATEST CAR IN THE WORLD" why-
1. The 250 engine gets gummed up with carbon, and lexus cant fix it.....
2. The Navigation unit seems to go out like clockwork, 6000 for a new one from lexus BTW...
3. The Airbag light stays lit, and if you want it off you have to pay 2000 for a new harness. If not you can drive with no airbags.
4. Their dash rattles worse then an 1982 Ford Tempo... TSB for that as well
5. And my personal fav....The A/C condenser gets plugged up and then leaks all the water under your carpet.

All of these problems were oversites by Lexus since 2006, have they fixed them.... uh no, have they issued TSB's, YES but good luck getting the dealer to do ONE let alone ALL...

I do love my lexus, but like many others on this site will tell you.... This is far from a superior car... for the money I spent, there should NOT be these kind of problems.... My obsession with these Lemons is slowly stopping, as Like many I refuse to pay the outrageous markups that Lexus is infamous for..

Good car... Yes
Great Car.... Far From It

Look in my garage I have a 1996 Pontiac WS-6, Not only has it had WAY LESS PROBLEMS then my IS, Less to fix, it will blow 99.99% of IS's off the track... for a car thats almost 20 years old, better record then a car thats 2.....
Old 08-17-11, 11:48 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonsterIS
Its obvious that Foreighn cars are a whole lot better, take a look on the roads, you see more foreighn cars then domestic.
I'm a huge fan of foreign cars (euro to be exact), but I'd have to disagree with this statement. Only in California do you really see more foreign than domestic. I've been to many different states, and they mostly drive domestics. Yes, my neighborhood has at least 1 [relatively] new BMW/Benz/Lexus per house or some stupid ratio like that, but that's not a real representation of America as a whole.
Old 08-17-11, 12:00 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like someone doesnt know a lot about cars. do you believe everything you see..? J D Power awards doesn't mean that much. The reason why its projected to have a higher resale value is because they keep on changing the models every 1-2 years compared to toyota, 4-6 years. Its obvious that Foreighn cars are a whole lot better, take a look on the roads, you see more foreighn cars then domestic. Why? Cuz people, unlike you, realize that they are better in qaulity, and in the long run. its obvie, American cars are nothing compared to Foreighn cars. Hate to bust your bubble, its the truth.!!!!
i would call it opinion. lets put it this way. In almost every way i favor lexus/toyota over other brands. but ive owned a tacoma, is350, gs300, 72 beetle, 86 suburban, 84 rx7, and a g35. as far as best cars ever no they aren't, there are better and nicer. as far as my favorite, they wins hands down.

and a gto isnt garbage, have you actually driven an 06 with a 6speed, its fun as hell. the interior isnt the best but at least it isnt bimmer interior from the 90's. and the seats are pretty comfy. its pretty damn easy to drive for having 400bhp. and power mods are easily found and cheaper. plus that nasty beast of a 6.0 v8 with slp full exhaust would make a "car ethusiast" giggle like a school girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmaAPLRSF1sget over your self, you dont know everything about everything about everything.
Old 08-17-11, 12:57 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The reason why its projected to have a higher resale value is because they keep on changing the models every 1-2 years compared to toyota, 4-6 years.
Can you explain your logic here MonsterIS? If a car was constantly being redesigned, wouldn't that lead to accelerated depreciation and thus a lower resale value?

... Maybe you're just trolling.
Old 08-17-11, 01:27 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry had to
Old 08-17-11, 08:43 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

My personal car history is as follows.

1992 SC400
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
2006 GTO
2008 IS250AWD
2007 RX350
2006 GTO (Yes, I went and bought a second one)
2010 RX350

I've also spent a significant amount of time driving my immediate family's cars.

1992 ES350
1996 ES300
1999 GS300
2001 IS300
2004 RX330
2011 IS350AWD
2011 IS350AWD (not a typo)

For daily drivers, I stick with Lexus. I appreciate the build quality and the quality of the materials. However, when I want to go fast, I now go GM every time. I've spent a lot of time pulling apart and modding my GTOs, installed a Procharger on an LS1 Camaro, been arms deep numerous times in 550whp blown LS3 C6s. I've driven countless GTOs and Corvettes. I have over 120 passes between my 2 GTOs at Atco and Englishtown. I've also flogged an IS-F around a road course. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on this board STILL to have taken an IS350AWD down the 1320. I auto-xed and dragged the **** out of my G35. Hell, I even took the 07 RX350 offroading. Each one of these cars had their strengths and weaknesses. Lexus is not the be all end all of cars. It simply depends on your budget and priorities.

Originally Posted by Mv350
get over your self, you dont know everything about everything about everything.

This is all you needed to say.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 08-17-11 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 10:12 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Wow.

It's one thing for someone to come on and make claims about this car Vs. that car, even if they are strong claims made in an uneducated manner but do we need to sit here and throw rotten tomatoes at them and call them names? perhaps your'e just offended by someone bashing something American?? My first reaction is to throw rotten tomatoes at someone driving a pontiac actually. Why? Maybe I'm just a pretentious snob, who knows? I happily sit by and let a mustang GT leave me in the dust at a traffic light while I just sit back and laugh at what a douche he is in his ford that goes fast. I usually wait until the next light, out maneuver him and block him behind me and someone beside me going very slow hahaha.

Not all of us drive a car for power. In every experience I've had driving any car I've always always preferred imports in every possible way except for the kind of bad *** feeling i get when driving some giant excursion or something. Yet when I'm in my car I loathe any monster truck near me (and there are lot in my area.....texas edition this and texas edition that). I've also never felt such a driver/car connection to my vehicle despite all the electronics that take away that "connection to the road." Sure there are exceptions. Despite having restyled and more attractive exteriors...a recent hyundai mid sized rental was one of the most uncomfortable things I'd ever been in. I returned it immediately.

I'm constantly disappointed with any interior of any american vehicle I've been in. In fact I am a real pain in the *** at any rental car counter and I always walk the lot before going to the counter. If they have nothing acceptable then I go somewhere else. I'd sooner drive a minivan than most american cars. If i just so happen to get stuck in some G6 I wish for nothing more in life than limo tint so I cant be seen driving it. My complaints are mostly with interior as many have noted.

Of all the problems (rattling dash, water leakage, etc.etc.) I've never experienced one of them at 167k in 4 years in my 2IS. Nor have I ever had an american car that could take 167k in 4 years with only a new water pump and spark plugs (and that nav unit unfortunately). i DID have a navigation screen go out but it was a supremely odd problem that baffled the tech guys. Fortunately is was about 10,000 miles before the cut-off of my electronics extended warranty. If my current nav would go out there's no way I'm spending 6k on one . I'll spend 1600 on the fly audio unit and be better off.

Yes I believe american cars are stepping up in body style (not always - chevy for instance and what's worse is the 'throwback' cars like the charger or challenger), reliability, gas mileage...but I have not seen any comparison to my 2IS in any american car I've been in in though of course there are obviously some out there. This does not include heavily modified american cars. The only American (non high end american sports car) that I'd not want to immediately GUT the interior out of would be a towncar.

I do, to some extent agree that these JDM awards are , to me, questionable. it seems every vehicle has some "best in class" for this or that. I think maybe there's just too many classes haha.

Last edited by patrick323; 08-17-11 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 11:03 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before i ever commented on this thread i knew it was going to turn into an American car vs Japanese car thing! lol But i think we should just drop that debate and get back on topic..or lock the thread if its too late because i know everyone here can go back and forth for weeks

Actually looks like OP made his decision..

Originally Posted by tjschraf
Thanks for all the help. I decided I am going to wait on the GTO until I graduate and have a full time job and do not need to daily drive it. I am hoping for the 25k range and I will sell it and look for something else (I don't care what it is at the moment). If it doesn't sell, I will thoroughly enjoy keeping it.

I agree with all the above statements, American cars are great cars and have proven it in reliability recently. There are very few cars that are completely foreign in their makeup as well as very few that are completely american in their makeup.

/END Thread
Old 08-17-11, 11:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

J D Power awards doesn't mean that much.
Clearly it does considering the gist of your argument has been about “quality”. The fact that once dominate automakers are now in decline and American ones are coming out on top, points to improved quality, management, design and engineering.

The reason why its projected to have a higher resale value is because they keep on changing the models every 1-2 years compared to toyota, 4-6 years
Lol, which company? Which models? The Ford Fusion came out in 2005 as a 2006 model, and received a refresh for the 2010 year. The redesign is slated for 2013. A comparable Toyota Camry debuted in 2006 as a 2007 model. The redesigned 2012 model will be out by years end…

its obvious that Foreighn cars are a whole lot better, take a look on the roads, you see more foreighn cars then domestic. Why? Cuz people, unlike you, realize that they are better in qaulity, and in the long run.
Oh so it’s obvious huh. I’m sorry, I thought that design and engineering and technology and innovation and safety proved a cars mettle and not the number of vehicles on the road. Lol do you put any thought into these statements as you post them? Seriously, I enjoy a good chuckle. The majority of foreign imports are on the coasts, and more specifically the large metropolitan areas. There are still plenty of domestic makes on the road, though the heartland retains a huge domestic market share.

its obvie, American cars are nothing compared to Foreighn cars. Hate to bust your bubble, its the truth.!!!!
There you go again. You’ve brought no validity to your argument, just ignorance and empty statements. Hmm isn’t it curious why more people lease foreign vehicles (more geared toward Euro). Very few are willing to keep these vehicles past warranties end. And since your so hell bent on quality, please look at the differences between this 2006 ES330 and 2008 ES350. Note the fit and finish are perfect as are the nonexistent panel gaps in the 330 compared to the uneven fitment in the 350. Sadly even those once thought to be faultless have shown decline. Thankfully Akio Toyoda is a smart man, and knows what needs to be done to rectify slipping quality.

Overall, the industry is merely becoming more balanced, and buyers shouldn’t have to be swayed towards one make due to image and a name. Because of mandates, regulations, and trends, all automakers have become more competitive with one another which in return benefits the buyer.

Just some things to think about. In the mean time why don’t you brush up on your spelling and grammer… vvv

Quick Reply: IS 350 for GTO?