IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

question about front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 01:40 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't risk going without plates, if it is required - best to have them.

Lets say even thou if one goes to court and the officer does not show up - the judge could still side with the law and still have you pay for the infraction. It know this is more applicable to speeding but it could still happen for something like this.

As for licence plates, one could get the Lexus Japan frames and make it look nice! Matches the contour and color match to the body of the car.

Orginal source - http://lexus.jp/models/is/specificat.../exterior.html
Old 08-15-11, 02:11 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I wouldn't risk going without plates, if it is required - best to have them.

Lets say even thou if one goes to court and the officer does not show up - the judge could still side with the law and still have you pay for the infraction. It know this is more applicable to speeding but it could still happen for something like this.

As for licence plates, one could get the Lexus Japan frames and make it look nice! Matches the contour and color match to the body of the car.

Orginal source - http://lexus.jp/models/is/specificat.../exterior.html
Unless mostly stock. It still looks poor. Even poorer if you have many mods. Depending where you live, it could or could not be worth the risk. Where I am; It varies SO much in county to county (or city to city and there are quite a few different counties/cities in my metropolitan area) that for me it's just something they'd pull me over for hoping they might find something else going on. I'd say 90% of the time a reason like not having a required front plate is how they end up with many arrests for other reasons. I'm also in one of only a few states where you can have a laser blocker so I have to watch it in other states. Once they see I'm not doing anything wrong and they see that I have a car that is far from stock, they seem to understand and let me by. This might not be the case in some areas. Plus I'm not one just just mindlessly obey silly rules that harm no one. This is only a law so that they can identify you from in front of you. A lot less harmful than jaywalking IMO.

The one time i DID get a ticket he apologized and said he was required to hand out as many citations as possible on that road on a weekend night. I went to court, put one in my window (didn't even need to) and was out of there in 30 min and saved 150 or so.
Old 08-15-11, 08:03 AM
Sango
Pole Position

^
I might get one of those since I'm keeping my car mostly stock looking with mods.

Lets put it this way - when I went to Canada with no plates when I got my car (have the trip permit paper on the rear window to this date since I gotten my other IS), the Canada border officer was asking me about the front and rear plates as I have not recieved them yet lol! For BC, they are more stricter about this since this is more enforced. I do still see some cars over there without the front but not as much compared to US.

Last edited by Sango; 08-15-11 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-15-11, 08:37 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Strange that they would care that much since so many people cross the border from various places, did you have BC plates, or WA plates?

In Alberta we only have a rear plate, and nobody's ever mentioned it anywhere I've been, crossed the border into the US and back in BC before, though I'm sure they know Alberta cars don't have front plates I guess.

Jeff
Old 08-15-11, 10:12 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Strange that they would care that much since so many people cross the border from various places, did you have BC plates, or WA plates?

In Alberta we only have a rear plate, and nobody's ever mentioned it anywhere I've been, crossed the border into the US and back in BC before, though I'm sure they know Alberta cars don't have front plates I guess.

Jeff
Oh ok, I wasn't familar with Alberta, I was implying BC when I said Canada (I revised that post a bit), since it is enforced about the front plate.

I currently have Oregon trip paper plate on my car. Both front and back still say "Lexus of Portland" filler in on the plate. I have yet to recieve my WA plates.

This below is a reenactment of the conversation.

Originally Posted by Canada
Officer: Do you know your license plate number?
Me: Nope
Officer: Do you have a rear plate?
Me: Nope
Officer: Do you have a front plate?
Me: Nope. I only have a paper plate on the rear windshield since I just gotten the car and it is being sent to me by mail.
Officer: Oh ok, just your car up.
Ok so I kept pulling up until he was able to see the paper plate number and enter it into the computer, then off I went (said I can go). I guess maybe he was asking me about it since the paper plate I didn’t know the plate fell off the rear windshield and fell flat, but I could still see the numbers in my rear view mirror in the reflection.
Here is what happened when I went back to WA.

Originally Posted by US
Officer: Just purchase a new car?
Me: Yes I just got it a week ago in Portland.
Officer: Do you have the bill of sale?
Me: Yes I do.
Officer: (looks at me).
Me: Oh you wanted to see it, (I pull it out).
Officer: Looks at the paper work. (I realized where he was standing; he was checking the VIN# on the front windshield against the bill of sale - good move).
Officer: Here, you can take these back. Are you bringing anything from Canada?
Me: Nope.
Officer: Have a nice day!

Last edited by Sango; 08-15-11 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-15-11, 06:54 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

I haven't had a front plate on any of the cars I've owned in WA state. Been to BC a handful of times and never been questioned. However, recently I did receive a parking ticket. Paid that. Got a summons in the mail about 6 weeks later saying I failed to pay the ticket. Sent the court back a copy of my bank statement showing when I paid the ticket. Received a letter back stating I only paid the first ticket. Took a second look at the original parking ticket. There was a 2nd ticket on there for no front plate. What was a $45 ticket now cost me $90. FML!!
Old 08-15-11, 08:22 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anthrax144
I haven't had a front plate on any of the cars I've owned in WA state. Been to BC a handful of times and never been questioned. However, recently I did receive a parking ticket. Paid that. Got a summons in the mail about 6 weeks later saying I failed to pay the ticket. Sent the court back a copy of my bank statement showing when I paid the ticket. Received a letter back stating I only paid the first ticket. Took a second look at the original parking ticket. There was a 2nd ticket on there for no front plate. What was a $45 ticket now cost me $90. FML!!
Oh ouch. Yeah, thats why I would say, it's better to cover your behind about these things. It really depends, if the cop wanted to, he would of gotten you.

When I was young (over 10+ years ago) and in Vancouver, my mom (was in the car [90 dodge caravan]), pulled her over for no front plate by cop. In this case, there was a valid reason why it was not there is because the bracket bolt which was on the bumper actually broke earlier during the day - the plate simply falls off. Showed the officer the plate and broken bolt of the bracket and the officer let her go. Next day, got the bracket bolt replaced and the plate was back on.

A co-worker did say, there may be a way around if the vehicle did not come with factory front license plates to begin with - but a lawyer would probably be able to find this out.

Last edited by Sango; 08-15-11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 08:56 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Lexus instructions call for 4 holes to be made in the bumper, so technically if your dealer is attentive and following all the instructions you are supposed to have 4 holes. I think a lot of them probably try to use shorter bolts so you don't need the relief holes, which is nice.

Just saying.

Jeff
Lazy, lazy, lazy. I put on my wifes plate bracket because she didn't want to chance being pulled over in her RX350. You need two bolts to attach the bracket to the bumper, but the bolts that then attach the plate to the bracket have no need to go through the bracket and into the bumper. Those bolts serve no purpose. Any Lexus dealer worth their salt would just select a slightly shorter bolt, if not they are incompetent and downright lazy, I don't care what the instructions call for. What happened to common sense?
Old 08-15-11, 09:18 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

My plan, if absolutely needed was to temporarily double side tape a plate holder in place when I ever had to go to a court date to show proof of having one. I refuse to give in haha
Old 08-16-11, 09:13 AM
ghwanee
Rookie

I had a question out of the topic. but I am thinking of getting a used IS in chicago land area. more specifically 2008 IS AWD with NAV and was just wondering how much you're paying and what car you're looking into. I found them around 28000~30000
Old 08-16-11, 09:35 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

The issue you may run into is the fact --if it has the plastic license plate bar (bracket), it may leave a mark (sort of a dent), if the plastic piece was screwed into the bumper too tight.

That was mine was like, but I have a new bumper now.
Old 08-22-11, 07:45 AM
felixdang
Driver

Theres a guy in the new York city area that made a awesome mod for the front plates, that I saw from this forum.

He made a motorized plate holder.. The license plate would be tucked under the front hood, and when he would drive he push a button and out comes the front plate.. It was a sweet mod..

I wish I could find it for u fellas to see
Old 08-22-11, 02:40 PM
Boofster
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you get bumper plugs?
Old 08-22-11, 04:42 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boofster
Where do you get bumper plugs?
bumperplugs.com
Old 08-22-11, 04:53 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick323
My plan, if absolutely needed was to temporarily double side tape a plate holder in place when I ever had to go to a court date to show proof of having one. I refuse to give in haha
Be careful. I did that in CA once to try and get a front license plate ticket signed off on my old car. It looked like it was bolted down, but the cop went up to it, pulled it and sure enough it came off.

Told me to get lost before he cited me for everything else he was seeing on the car, or found a reason to impound it

I won't try it again

Quick Reply: question about front license plate