IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 06:03 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear Bra 2011?

Hi, So I'm looking to buy a clear bra (bumper, hood, fenders, and mirrors) and was wondering if any one had any tips as to where to buy from? Which company to choose, I saw 3M, Avery nano, and venturesheild. Also any tips for getting the bugs off the bumper prior to instal? Thanks in advance! Its going to be a DIY with some friends who's installed one on his TL (bought his bra cheap on ebay)
Old 08-05-11, 06:10 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sthakor92
Hi, So I'm looking to buy a clear bra (bumper, hood, fenders, and mirrors) and was wondering if any one had any tips as to where to buy from? Which company to choose, I saw 3M, Avery nano, and venturesheild. Also any tips for getting the bugs off the bumper prior to instal? Thanks in advance! Its going to be a DIY with some friends who's installed one on his TL (bought his bra cheap on ebay)
I just had a Ventureshield installed a few days ago on my Star Fire Pearl and it looks bad azz. Bumper, hood, mirrors. I have had no issues and the bugs come right off with any Meguiars products after install. Just be careful you don't use any harsh or abrasive wax. I was told Meguiars was the way to go
Old 08-05-11, 06:12 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just got mine installed today at auto paint guard in Tampa. He is very good and said the 2011 bumper was a bit of a challenge. I think his wife may sell the kits online but I don't know the name she uses. He said 3M is the most durable, there are others that are clearer with less orange peel but they are not as durable and scratch easily.

Last edited by wednesday; 08-05-11 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 06:17 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ohface
I just had a Ventureshield installed a few days ago on my Star Fire Pearl and it looks bad azz. Bumper, hood, mirrors. I have had no issues and the bugs come right off with any Meguiars products after install. Just be careful you don't use any harsh or abrasive wax. I was told Meguiars was the way to go
You can also use a plastic cleaner called Plexus (what my installer recommends) It comes in an spray can.
Old 08-05-11, 06:20 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wednesday
You can also use a plastic cleaner called Plexus (what my installer recommends) It comes in an spray can.
Not sure i have read some bad things about the long term effects on the BRA with Plexus. Just do some research
Old 08-05-11, 06:21 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Not sure i have read some bad things about the long term effects on the BRA with Plexus. Just do some research
I had my other one on for 3 years (2009 IS) and used Plexus on it regularly, never had any problems. What have you heard?
Old 08-05-11, 06:25 PM
ohface
Pole Position

I had my other one on for 3 years (2009 IS) and used Plexus on it regularly, never had any problems. What have you heard?
I read some where on the internet and i do not remember where that it caused yellowing and broke down the bra. I will try to find it and post the link.
Old 08-05-11, 06:33 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

I read some where on the internet and i do not remember where that it caused yellowing and broke down the bra. I will try to find it and post the link.
Hmmm I wonder how long it takes because my 3 year old 3M bra on GFM still looked perfect. Or I wonder if it is only a problem with some of the other films?
Old 08-05-11, 06:47 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Just got mine installed today at auto paint guard in Tampa. He is very good and said the 2011 bumper was a bit of a challenge. I think his wife may sell the kits online but I don't know the name she uses. He said 3M is the most durable, there are others that are clearer with less orange peel but they are not as durable and scratch easily.
How much did he charge you if you don't mind me asking? Tampa's about an hour and a half from where I live and I couldnt find any installers locally.
Old 08-05-11, 06:54 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I have a 3M clear bra on my car since 2006 and it has yellowed one bit. The only maintenance I do on it is to wash the car as usual and apply a coat of regular car wax whenever I wax the car.
Old 08-05-11, 07:17 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

How much did he charge you if you don't mind me asking? Tampa's about an hour and a half from where I live and I couldnt find any installers locally.
It was around $700.00 I had the mirrors half the hood (edges wrapped which is cleaner looking and protects better) front part of the fender and full bumper and fogs. This is the 4th vehicle he has done for us and he does great work. He wraps a lot of high end cars.
Old 08-05-11, 07:21 PM
ohface
Pole Position

It was around $700.00 I had the mirrors half the hood (edges wrapped which is cleaner looking and protects better) front part of the fender and full bumper and fogs. This is the 4th vehicle he has done for us and he does great work. He wraps a lot of high end cars.

Wow to bad u didn't live in CaLi coulda hookd ya up. I got a friend who has a shop. Does awesome work he charges $550 and I got mine $450
Old 08-05-11, 07:23 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Okay sounds pretty good, thats roughly what I was thinking!
Old 08-05-11, 07:24 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Wow to bad u didn't live in CaLi coulda hookd ya up. I got a friend who has a shop. Does awesome work he charges $550 and I got mine $450

We don't have many installers in north florida guess cali has us beat on that lol
Old 08-05-11, 07:28 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

We don't have many installers in north florida guess cali has us beat on that lol
Florida in general doesn't and I can tell you that some of the ones we do have SUCK. The first car he did for us was my 07 IS and he was redoing someone else's crappy work. I had to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to his shop, no biggie for quality work.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra 2011?