IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 07:43 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohface
Not sure i have read some bad things about the long term effects on the BRA with Plexus. Just do some research
Your exactly right. Plexus has butane in it which will burn out the pores of the film and cause it to yellow quickly. You want to use a sealant that is not petroleum based. Plexus is more for hard plastics... and if you ever look at the nozzle on the can after a few uses you will see it turns yellow. Find a good polymer sealant. There are many out there made specifically for clear bras.

By the way Avery Nano is much more scratch resistant than 3m. It is also a much smoother film that hs a lifetime warranty for labor and material. 3M is 5 years... so they dont beleive in their product too much.
Old 08-05-11, 07:45 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by wednesday
It was around $700.00 I had the mirrors half the hood (edges wrapped which is cleaner looking and protects better) front part of the fender and full bumper and fogs. This is the 4th vehicle he has done for us and he does great work. He wraps a lot of high end cars.
That price is pretty good. One thing to remember (for a $550 job) is cheaper is almost always not better.
Old 08-05-11, 08:42 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PTmobile
That price is pretty good. One thing to remember (for a $550 job) is cheaper is almost always not better.
The guy who owns this shop hooks me up because i refer him 3-5 people a month. If you were to randomly call him he charges upward of 800-900. He is the best here in Nor CaL.
Old 08-06-11, 12:48 PM
yoegster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had dealer do 3m on my 11 350. Looks great. Car is Obsidian.
Old 08-06-11, 01:33 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Originally Posted by yoegster
I had dealer do 3m on my 11 350. Looks great. Car is Obsidian.
+1 But mines an obsidian 250
Old 08-06-11, 03:56 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go with venturesheild.. 3m becomes orange after awhile. FYI I paid $570 for mine and Aerotect installed it(one of the best place to get your car clear bra installed in so cal)Any thing more than $600 I think is over priced IMO

Last edited by mong; 08-06-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 04:42 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mong
go with venturesheild.. 3m becomes orange after awhile. FYI I paid $570 for mine and Aerotect installed it(one of the best place to get your car clear bra installed in so cal)Any thing more than $600 I think is over priced IMO
3M bought venture shield so they're the same company now. The new 3M ventureshield clear bra is one of the best from what I've heard, I have it on my car right now.

In general make sure you wrap ALL the edges you can so you can avoid any issues down the road. It's going to cost more, but the install will look better in the long run and you won't have to worry about dirt build up under the bra edges. If I could do it all over I would do that (my hood is fully wrapped around and no issues, but my bumper is not and have had some dirt seep under).

Also Plexus is a no no for clear bra. I only use car soap/clay bars/opti seal on mine. If you're having issues with bug juice then hit it with a non abrasive clay bar (so it doesnt swirl), it'll take it right off.
Old 08-06-11, 06:00 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTiK
3M bought venture shield so they're the same company now. The new 3M ventureshield clear bra is one of the best from what I've heard, I have it on my car right now.

In general make sure you wrap ALL the edges you can so you can avoid any issues down the road. It's going to cost more, but the install will look better in the long run and you won't have to worry about dirt build up under the bra edges. If I could do it all over I would do that (my hood is fully wrapped around and no issues, but my bumper is not and have had some dirt seep under).

Also Plexus is a no no for clear bra. I only use car soap/clay bars/opti seal on mine. If you're having issues with bug juice then hit it with a non abrasive clay bar (so it doesnt swirl), it'll take it right off.
Yeah, they recently merged. Not sure if they're using the same product tho for the clear bra.
Old 08-06-11, 07:44 PM
PTmobile
Driver

3M bought VentureShield but they are still two different lines of film. I prefer VentureShield Ultra and Avery Nano Fusion over any other films out there... but I hear Xpel has a new one coming out that is going to be good. I guess I will see...
Old 08-08-11, 08:16 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got the Avery Nano on ours. One of the real advantages of the Avery is that the rolls of film are wider. This means that you don't have to have a line going across the hood and fenders. We had the 3M on our prior car and my wife didn't want a clear bra because of the line. With the Avery, we got the whole hood and the full fenders wrapped. So no line across the hood and fenders. What a difference!!