TPMS Hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 11:19 AM
Sk8Surfr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Hardware?

Those are the TPMS I bought on ebay.

My car only has ONE TPMS installed in the OEM wheels now (don't know why PO removed three of them)

anyways, I stopped by Toyota assuming I needed to buy some hardware. The hardware they had was $12 per wheel and it looked like a metal sleeve and two washers (one metal and one rubber) - that look to be already on the sensor.

What do I need to buy to mount these in the rims when my new tires go on tomorrow?

TIA!
Old 08-01-11, 11:27 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

You need the fitting kits from Toyota/Lexus or aftermarket. The metal washer and nut mainly, as the rubber seal is already on the new sensors. That's the only duplicate though, you do not have the metal washer or the nut yet, both of which you will need to mount the sensors.

Jeff
Old 08-01-11, 01:40 PM
Daganl
Rookie

I ordered TMPS last week on ebay, just forgot about buying this part too. Thought I might as well save a few more bucks while I have to wait on the TMPS anyways.

WIll this work Jeff?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TPMS-service-kit-...a#ht_977wt_813

Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread but it's quite relevant and maybe you'd like to purchase it too?
Old 08-01-11, 08:56 PM
fade06
Driver School Candidate

sorry to join in but i have a question, i bought the same sensors on ebay and when my mechanic put them in, he reset the sensors but they came back on in about 2 days, i was wondering if anyone had the same problem or is it soemthing i have to bring to lexus to get done correctly.
Old 08-01-11, 09:07 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fade06
sorry to join in but i have a question, i bought the same sensors on ebay and when my mechanic put them in, he reset the sensors but they came back on in about 2 days, i was wondering if anyone had the same problem or is it soemthing i have to bring to lexus to get done correctly.
Did you try checking the psi for each tire? If not, then you should start with that. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest bringing it back to your mechanic to get re-programmed. The majority of my local mechanics do not carry the required equipment to program TPMS sensors. I don't know how much he charged you but, Toyota will do it for around 80-90 bucks and Lexus will charge you an arm. Good luck.
Old 08-01-11, 09:35 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by Daganl
I ordered TMPS last week on ebay, just forgot about buying this part too. Thought I might as well save a few more bucks while I have to wait on the TMPS anyways.

WIll this work Jeff?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TPMS-service-kit-...a#ht_977wt_813

Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread but it's quite relevant and maybe you'd like to purchase it too?
Doesn't look like they come with the washers, which is what prevents the nuts from scratching the wheels when you tighten them down. I'd try to find some that come with the metal washers. Those only come with the rubber sealing washers that already come on the sensors.

Originally Posted by fade06
Did he actually program the sensors to the car, or just push the pressure reset button? They need to be programmed to the car. If they were, check to make sure that you have the car set to use the correct set (the car can store 2 sets of sensors, maybe they were programmed as the 2nd set, or something similar and your car is set to the 1st set).

Jeff
Old 08-01-11, 09:42 PM
vi3t80y
Driver

the lexus dealer charge me 60$ buck to program as second set of my aftermartket wheels.i did have all the code write down by tires shop.they act like it took a hrs but i think 5 mins max.yes i got TPMS frome bay and it work on 09 also.
Old 08-01-11, 10:04 PM
Daganl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Doesn't look like they come with the washers, which is what prevents the nuts from scratching the wheels when you tighten them down. I'd try to find some that come with the metal washers. Those only come with the rubber sealing washers that already come on the sensors.
Well that's silly, I ordered them anyways just because I don't want the shipping time to be longer then it needs to be.. It only came out to 6 bucks for a set of 4 without the washers as you said.

Are these washers that special or I will I just be able to buy these washers locally? I don't even know what they look like.

Thanks Jeff!
Old 08-01-11, 11:03 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

You can see what it looks like here:

https://i.imgur.com/1l4x9.jpg

Might be able to find them locally, I don't know. They're aluminum so they tend to do no damage to the wheels.

Jeff
Old 08-11-11, 07:38 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Do your have to get the sensors programmed before you install them in the wheels or can the dealer scan them once installed?
Old 08-11-11, 08:05 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
Do your have to get the sensors programmed before you install them in the wheels or can the dealer scan them once installed?
Depends on what tool the dealer is using. If they have the special TPMS programming tool, they can scan them without dismounting the tires. If they are just using their Techstream computer, they'll need the code numbers off each of the sensors.

If the shop that is mounting the tires doesn't have the tool to program TPMS and you are having them mounted before the sensors are programmed, make sure you write down the code numbers from the sensors just in case the dealer needs them.
Old 08-11-11, 08:32 AM
Daganl
Rookie

Okay, yesterday the shop said they can't seem to get the blinking light to stop, like the car couldn't read it.. however a friend of his said that he's done 3 IS350's and they all needed to be driven before the light went away.. Is this true or should the light just go away right away?
Old 08-11-11, 08:36 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Daganl
Okay, yesterday the shop said they can't seem to get the blinking light to stop, like the car couldn't read it.. however a friend of his said that he's done 3 IS350's and they all needed to be driven before the light went away.. Is this true or should the light just go away right away?
When i got my tpms sensors programed. The light was gone when i picked up my car. I suggest you just go to lexus, rather than your third party shop. They will defintely solve the problem
Old 08-11-11, 08:39 AM
xnfsx
Pole Position

from what i was told, only lexus can program it
Old 08-11-11, 08:54 AM
Daganl
Rookie

I've had like 5 other people on this forum to NOT take it to Lexus..

Quick Reply: TPMS Hardware?