Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Melting Dash

Old 07-26-11, 05:09 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Pay the $500 and tint the crap out of your car and get a sun shade!
This right here....

I clean my dash with a damp micro fiber towel and use a sun shade and have yet to have this issue.
Old 07-26-11, 05:16 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm lucky I was still under warranty. Lexus is doing something right here. I'm really surprised they offered to pay for the install. I would do it!

I had to have my dash replaced due to this issue. I bought my car CPO from a dealer in Miami. Same situation, never thought to think of the dash. Went to wipe down my car and the microfiber towel stuck to it and i went to pull it off and it made a tiny hole in the dash.

I took it in for that issue and the dash rattling. I was acting stupid like i didn't know any better . They gave me a loaner car and I went on my way while they inspected the car. Next thing I know my SA is calling me and telling me its' going to be a few days since they have to order my new dash lol.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-11, 05:24 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

The problem isn't the armorall either its the dash wasn't maid correctly. My car is garage kept and I never use armorall ever. My dash was all sticky after about 3 years old ( i'm the org. owner) they replaced it, now my door panels are all sticky and falling apart. Lexus said sorry your out of warranty. The price the dealer quoted me for the repair was like $4000 for all door panels. Corporate said the same. Great customer support not. I've never had a cars door panels do this either looks like they bought some cheap ***** but don't care. I think I'm going to just bring it to custom shop to have them put some leather put in its place.
Old 07-26-11, 05:39 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by accelerate
The problem isn't the armorall either its the dash wasn't maid correctly. My car is garage kept and I never use armorall ever. My dash was all sticky after about 3 years old ( i'm the org. owner) they replaced it, now my door panels are all sticky and falling apart. Lexus said sorry your out of warranty. The price the dealer quoted me for the repair was like $4000 for all door panels. Corporate said the same. Great customer support not. I've never had a cars door panels do this either looks like they bought some cheap ***** but don't care. I think I'm going to just bring it to custom shop to have them put some leather put in its place.
I haven't had the issues with the door panels yet. Where in FL are you?
Old 07-26-11, 07:06 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im starting to have the same thing happen, i took my car to lexus of clearwater and the district SA said he would call me by Wednesday, he said im out of warranty since march due to length of ownership its a 07' i purchased in June or july 07'. and has 47k miles. i have a few spots of dust marks that wont come out and if you rub it, it only gets faded more and worse, now i noticed a tiny nick on the passenger side like someone picked it with a toothpick.
Old 07-26-11, 09:11 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Thats why I only use meguiars Their Ultimate Quick-Wax and Quick Detailer has a permanent residence in my trunk Seriously - their products rock
Originally Posted by Sk8Surfr
I wouldn't use armoall anywhere! I only use 303 aerospace protectant - it rocks!
^ Yup, you honestly can't go wrong with either of those.

Originally Posted by accelerate
There are many factors that can cause our dashes to go to the wayside. Living in Texas (and I keep my car outside in the head/sun a lot), I kind of expect my dash after some time to go to the crapper. There have been times I literally get into my car and can't be any cooler than 120*F in there. I have a feeling that material they put on there can't withstand it.

Do yourself a favour, go to a JUNKYARD. I'm almost positive you can find a good condition dash from a wrecked IS. That's what I was planning to do with my '02 IS300 that had a horrific melted dash. Find some near you by going to http://www.car-part.com/

Either that, or, just upgrade and leather wrap it, I suppose.
Old 07-26-11, 10:48 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by karasha
Hmm.

I remember the 02-05 IS300 having a melted dash problem... mostly because I had the melted dash on my '02 IS300. It was found to be that putting armor-all on the dash causes the melting.

Bottom line guys, don't put armor-all on anywhere except your tires/wheel wells

I would take the offer from Lexus and run with it. Seriously.
^Really?! I use armor-all dash and leather wipes all the time and I have no problems with the dash... I'm from CenCal where it gets pretty hot too. I'd have to say spending 50 bucks on a shade cover will help in the long run also. Good luck with the dash though!
Old 07-26-11, 12:12 PM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

Can you post up a picture of the melting dash? I'd like to see this. Is it anything like this IS300 dash?

Old 07-26-11, 12:17 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Holy large picture batman.

But, Gville... the IS300 dash and 2IS dash doesn't feel like exactly the same material. The IS300 dash has a rubbery kind of feel... the 2IS doesn't damage in the same way the IS300 dash does. I don't know how to explain it.

And man, I feel sorry for you... that's pretty banged up. Go get yourself an '01 dash!! Do NOT try to take your dash out and repaint it. I tried to do that initially with my '02 dash and it was a PITA...
Old 07-26-11, 02:50 PM
tinman818
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Dash Problem

I also live in FL. Same dash problem. This is a safety hazard... When driving into the sun, the jelly like sticky substance that leaks out becomes very reflective and blinding .Lexus told us, not enough complaints for action. ATTORNEY?
Old 07-26-11, 03:14 PM
HERBos
Lead Lap

if this can occur on the lexus, will it happen to all other cars given the same situation
Old 07-26-11, 06:01 PM
Sk8Surfr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HERBos
if this can occur on the lexus, will it happen to all other cars given the same situation
I think this is a Lexus defect but unfortunately only common in hot climates so they don't want to do anything about it

The Lexus is my wifes car.

I personally am an Audi fan... have a TT (dash is fine) and an A6 as my DD (140k on it now) - been a FL car ALL it's life. I rarely use a sun shade and the dash is fine
Old 07-26-11, 06:52 PM
guacamole
Pole Position

yes, this is a somewhat problem, we have had two ISx come threw work with melting dashs, it seems if you lay and piece of paper and leave it out on the sun for awhile the dash will start to peel. it sucks.

its pretty hot here (TX) 100+
Old 07-26-11, 07:12 PM
delphiDH
Driver School Candidate

maybe you guys located near the equator should tint 60% ceramic on the windshield or use windshield screen.
Old 08-19-11, 12:21 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i called corp to complain about my dash last friday, so i had to make an appointment to the dealership to look at first on Monday.( car is out of warrany for about 3 months- it has 48k miles on it, 07' ) Dealership SA stated they would call me by weeks end, nothing as of yesterday, so today i call corp to tell them that i have not heard anything back yet and corp stated they have not had any type of communication from the dealership about my dash either. a few hours later i get a call/voicemail from the SA stating they just got a response from lexus today about my dash and will take care of it as a one time courtesy parts and labor. Nice!...but it seems like the dealer didnt even try to take care of it for me....but its all good,

Last edited by Deathrow23; 08-19-11 at 01:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Melting Dash