IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield Company Scratched VIN Plate.....Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 06:45 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

at least they didn't scratch your paint and then deny it like my installer did. i had to have my whole panel repainted.
Old 07-11-11, 10:00 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most youll get out of it is someone coming out to replace the winshield and trim.... You WILL NOT get a new vin no matter who you call and complain to period. Just hit it with some black marker when they take the windshield out end of problem. People on here are getting confused about what a "new" vin is... If it was stolen or wrecked THE STATE issues a new vin which is usually attached to the firewall and thats what is used to identify the vehicle from then on... The "new" vin is completely different from the one the car came with it IS NOT an exact replacement of the original vin.... This would definately lower the value of the vehicle.

If you are lucky you MIGHT find someone to say that vin scratch caused your car to lose value but it wont be very much just for a scratch...

I would say if you are hell bent on getting something out of this you need to call a lawyer and have them deal with it..... If not youll probably just have to charge it to the game this time.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 07-11-11 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added
Old 07-11-11, 02:53 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by is250gurl
i had a new windshield put in and they also did a crappy job. i made them redo everything until i was happy. also contacted my insurance company since in fl it's covered. it looks like they reused the old broken clips on the molding. new ones will fix that.
Well whatever they can do to save a nickel...........Dropping this one isn't very easy I just want it fixed but its not looking like thats possible by being unable to have the same plate reissued...
Old 07-11-11, 03:09 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

This is what a "NEW" vin looks like...... YOU DONT WANT THIS!!! Besides they wont give you one just cause yours has a scratch on it.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 07-11-11 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 03:10 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
This is what a "NEW" vin looks like...... YOU DONT WANT THIS!!!

LOL thats awesome! At least that made me laugh in all of this!
Old 07-11-11, 05:04 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With the scatches on it. Couldn't officials sources say, it's been tampered with and therefore, no longer a valid plate?
Old 07-11-11, 05:54 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
With the scatches on it. Couldn't officials sources say, it's been tampered with and therefore, no longer a valid plate?
Idk apparently this doesnt happen too often lol
Old 07-11-11, 06:30 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

The VIN plate on the dash is not the only place the VIN number appears on the car, one other place is the door jamb and this will suffice for vehicle information purposes. Your car is not compromised in any way. Your first requirement is for them to redo and replace damaged items to make it right, and that is what I would focus on. You may be able to squeeze some settlement out of them to compensate for the damaged plate and your loss of time but that is about it. Forget calling corporate, they aren't going to get involved in any of this as it didn't happen at their dealer. Good luck.
Old 07-14-11, 07:23 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Glass installers are rarely good at their job. I've seen more windshields poorly installed and outright damage (in my opinion) done to cars than even "decent" installations. As for the VIN plate, he does not want a new VIN, he wants a new VIN plate, which Toyota/Lexus should be able to get. This wasn't a collision, however the plate was damaged, so it shouldn't be that much trouble to fill out the correct paperwork to get a replacement. If your local dealer cannot get a replacement for a damaged VIN plate, talk to Lexus USA, explain the situation, and that you have a damaged VIN plate and need to get it replaced. They will need documentation, and likely the old VIN plate back. I know how it is done in Canada, Toyota/Lexus USA likely has slightly different procedures in place, so that's something you'll need to check on.

Damaged VIN plate is a damaged VIN plate, it shouldn't matter how it was damaged (collision, accident, workmanship, etc.), just that it was damaged. If it was my car, it would be getting replaced, along with getting all of their other shoddy work fixed as well.

There's a reason I will install my windshield myself next time it needs to be done. I can't stand most glass installers, they won't be touching my car.

Jeff
Old 07-17-11, 01:12 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Glass installers are rarely good at their job. I've seen more windshields poorly installed and outright damage (in my opinion) done to cars than even "decent" installations. As for the VIN plate, he does not want a new VIN, he wants a new VIN plate, which Toyota/Lexus should be able to get. This wasn't a collision, however the plate was damaged, so it shouldn't be that much trouble to fill out the correct paperwork to get a replacement. If your local dealer cannot get a replacement for a damaged VIN plate, talk to Lexus USA, explain the situation, and that you have a damaged VIN plate and need to get it replaced. They will need documentation, and likely the old VIN plate back. I know how it is done in Canada, Toyota/Lexus USA likely has slightly different procedures in place, so that's something you'll need to check on.

Damaged VIN plate is a damaged VIN plate, it shouldn't matter how it was damaged (collision, accident, workmanship, etc.), just that it was damaged. If it was my car, it would be getting replaced, along with getting all of their other shoddy work fixed as well.

There's a reason I will install my windshield myself next time it needs to be done. I can't stand most glass installers, they won't be touching my car.

Jeff
Indeed, To clarify it is the plate I want not a new VIN. Has anyone ever had this happen or have any idea how hard it would be just to have a new plate reissued through Lexus corporate?
Old 08-07-11, 09:51 AM
CapitalisT
Driver

Just to follow up on this, it took a few weeks but from what I am being told by Lexus and the installer I have a new VIN plate on the way. I had to provide pictures of the damage and a picture of inside the main door jamb. It is supposed to take about a month to arrive over here and then that and a new lexus windshield will be installed hopefully correctly this time.
Old 08-08-11, 12:23 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats some bullisss
Old 08-08-11, 12:26 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

wow thats a horrible job :/

hope u get everything fixed!
Old 08-08-11, 12:49 AM
Sango
Pole Position

That's great you can get it replaced because since that VIN plate is stamped and placed on the windshield from the factory. Probably being sent from Japan SAL (if shipped already) if it is taking a month - maybe air mail or faster would be ideal.