IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need Help with 2011 LED to 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 01:04 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need Help with 2011 LED to 2007

Hello all, has anyone done the 2011 led's conversion. So im excited today because i got my new headlights in. so im thinking its gonna be a "plug and play" and not have to do anything, also no instructions, and it also came with a "Flash box" relay thing. which i dont know what it would be used for... well im not sure if i was sent the halogen to led's headlight conversion by accident or its meant to be this way, but i already have HID's on my 07'. i made sure i ordered the HID to HID/LED so when i go and install the new headlights, theres a bottom square piece thats missing from the new ones ( in picture below, im guessing for the HID connection )...so im like, ok,,maybe its meant to just take out from the old one and put into new one, but im not sure of that too, because theres two wires, one for the back of the hid bulb and another one, which you cant remove b/c theres no room for it to be removed...well i called Sewell and asked if someone could help me with it, someone tried to help me, but they said, i forgot his name, David or Philip only knows about this kits installation, and hes off the weekend, Which sucks, b/c i cant install my new headlights and took apart the bumper and stuff thinking it would be easy. Can anyone help me out?...Thanks,

Heres a comparison shot of the two

and heres whats missing on the new headlights, circled in red, the new one is on the right,

Last edited by Deathrow23; 07-09-11 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-09-11, 09:24 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

bump, anyone?
Old 07-09-11, 09:50 PM
cestjoel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a guess- I think the housing and ballast and bulbs are all separate parts. Dealers/manufacturers tend to do that just like when you buy the bumper, grills and fogs and all that isn't included. maybe you could just swap out the ballast? Good luck though.
Old 07-09-11, 09:50 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2011 so I have no idea. AFS maybe? this might help

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hreads-15.html
Old 07-09-11, 11:39 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 90% confident the "box" is the ballast. New headlight assembles may come with bulbs, but they do not come with ballasts because you can reuse your old one. HID lights are two-fold, the bulb (which emits the light) and the ballast (which ignites the gas to power the bulb). I've never disassembled the 2IS headlights before but if they're anything like my G35's then the ballast is held on by some screws and a harness which disconnects with a simple clip.
Old 07-10-11, 12:27 AM
cestjoel
Driver

^same with Audi/VW cars.
Old 07-10-11, 06:27 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Update Heres some posts i found from Lenscap2 about his kit..

i guess i found my answer,,,well until i hear back from sewell, Darryl . im assuming the kit doesnt come with ballast, and i would have to use my old ones,,,sucks, b/c i was thinking this was going to be easy swap. might just have to return these and save 2G's..lol.

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
I had the Sewell kit installed last week and the flashing AFS light does not bother me as much as I thought it would. I'm thinking of trying to put a small black vinyl window cling over it before I have the dash taken apart.

I had a Lexus certified body shop install the lights and they had two issues. First, the light bracket that bolts to the bumper only lines up on 4 of the 6 screws. Second, they couldn't get the wires past the headlamp module without ruining the modules. I called Sewell and talked with Darrel, who then called the body shop. Only having 4 bolts hold the bumper is fine, so that was resolved. With the wires, Darrel said to cut them. But the body shop told me they wouldn't do that because it would result in corrosion. So after running the wires they replaced my headlamp modules with new ones (the old ones were ruined).

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
Sorry if I was confusing. I don't know how this stuff works and was trying to say what the body shop told me. From what I understand, the headlamp module plug needed to come out of my old lights to fit on the 2011 lights. But the AFS module was in the way, so there was no way to pull it out without destroying it. The only solution was to get other modules and put them in the 2011 lights.

Again, Sewell said something about cutting wires to get the plug out and reattaching the wires. But the body shop would not do this because they said it would lead to corrosion and problems down the road. They said getting new modules was the only way to go.

Last edited by Deathrow23; 07-10-11 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-10-11, 01:25 PM
FutureITR
Driver

You're probably going to need to find a new mounting point from your old ballasts... As far as the LED goes, the way Lexus designed it, it looks like you're gonna have to find a good electrical (i'm not good with electricals) person to rewire the new plug to fit with your old one or swap out the plug and resolder it. When higher end car's add something to the headlights, the plugs are almost guaranteed never to be the same.
So if you're willing to pay a guy to get it done, it's not too hard.
Old 07-10-11, 04:11 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FutureITR
You're probably going to need to find a new mounting point from your old ballasts... As far as the LED goes, the way Lexus designed it, it looks like you're gonna have to find a good electrical (i'm not good with electricals) person to rewire the new plug to fit with your old one or swap out the plug and resolder it. When higher end car's add something to the headlights, the plugs are almost guaranteed never to be the same.
So if you're willing to pay a guy to get it done, it's not too hard.
Yeah but the whole point to this kit fom sewell was a direct plug and play, ima have to double check with them
Old 07-10-11, 05:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Re-using your stock Ballasts saves you $750....

The "Kit" is plug and play.. As the LED strip should come pre-wired as well from them..

Got any pics of the wire modifications that were made?

All you have to do is remove Ballasts, carefully undo the Silver HID Bulb connector and then carefully pull the 2 wires out of the housing..

On a scale of 1-5. I give this procedure a 3...

The new Blinker relay has to be swapped out, so that your new housings with one blinker bulb blinks with the correct speed..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-10-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 06:35 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Re-using your stock Ballasts saves you $750....

The "Kit" is plug and play.. As the LED strip should come pre-wired as well from them..

Got any pics of the wire modifications that were made?

All you have to do is remove Ballasts, carefully undo the Silver HID Bulb connector and then carefully pull the 2 wires out of the housing..

On a scale of 1-5. I give this procedure a 3...

The new Blinker relay has to be swapped out, so that your new housings with one blinker bulb blinks with the correct speed..

Joe Z
Thanks, Joe Z,
i wish i would have known that i had to reuse my ballast and/or came with instructions..well here is a pic of a wire that comes from the bottom (black connector with light blue wire ), not sure if it is part of the wire modification or not but i dont know if it connects to the red wire that i see connected to the 2007 ballast, i stopped messing with the install after i couldnt get the silver hid bulb connector out of the old lights

Last edited by Deathrow23; 07-10-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 10:48 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

is it hard to remove the silver hid bulb plug from the housing? do you some pics of flashing relay thing?
Old 07-11-11, 11:27 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ohiois350
is it hard to remove the silver hid bulb plug from the housing? do you some pics of flashing relay thing?
Well im going to try again today to carefully try to remove from old headlights. I searched a few threads, and Joe Z commented on successfully removing the hid plug with flathead screwdriver and needlenose pliers. as for the flash relay, from the thread it replaces the relay that is behind the driver side kick panel...i just wish sewell would have mentioned it on their site that you need to reuse your old ballast (which means taking it apart)...wish me luck.
Old 07-11-11, 12:10 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathrow23
Well im going to try again today to carefully try to remove from old headlights. I searched a few threads, and Joe Z commented on successfully removing the hid plug with flathead screwdriver and needlenose pliers. as for the flash relay, from the thread it replaces the relay that is behind the driver side kick panel...i just wish sewell would have mentioned it on their site that you need to reuse your old ballast (which means taking it apart)...wish me luck.
thanks, well I have two extra ballasts from 2010 RX350 would be on 2011 lights after they have correct the bubbling problem
Old 08-06-11, 04:14 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the bump, does the mounting bracket, black piece under the 07 headlights, fits on the 2011?

Quick Reply: Need Help with 2011 LED to 2007