IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 12:48 PM
skyhawk62y
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Problem

Okay, this is my first post here. I tried to do a search for an answer but I couldn't find anything specific on this.

I just purchased a 2007 IS250 about 2 weeks ago. It's a great car, and I love it. I noticed it has a few issues though. One of the biggest ones is that the radio will sometimes just turn off. It has done it both listening to a CD and the AM/FM radio. It just turns off and the nav displays "Audio Off". If a CD was playing, it ejects that CD, too.

I was just wondering if this is a common problem. I can deal with it doing it occasionally, but if it gets worse I am going to want to fix it. Does anyone have any input about this issue?
Old 07-08-11, 06:11 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

It's not a common problem. Reading your post is the first time I've heard of it happening.
Old 07-10-11, 05:29 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iv never had my car shut the radio off. but i have turned off the radio and it ejected a cd (2 times) in 4 yrs.
Old 07-10-11, 06:58 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Do you have the NAV touchscreen?
Old 07-11-11, 08:24 PM
skyhawk62y
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it has a NAV touchscreen.
Old 07-12-11, 09:58 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skyhawk62y
Okay, this is my first post here. I tried to do a search for an answer but I couldn't find anything specific on this.

I just purchased a 2007 IS250 about 2 weeks ago. It's a great car, and I love it. I noticed it has a few issues though. One of the biggest ones is that the radio will sometimes just turn off. It has done it both listening to a CD and the AM/FM radio. It just turns off and the nav displays "Audio Off". If a CD was playing, it ejects that CD, too.

I was just wondering if this is a common problem. I can deal with it doing it occasionally, but if it gets worse I am going to want to fix it. Does anyone have any input about this issue?

I posted this exact same issue about 4 months back on my 2008 IS350. I still have not had the problem fixed. The dealer couldn't replicate it and refused to pull out the nav unit until they could replicate it. They told me to take a video on my phone when it happens again. The same day I brought it back from the dealership it happened again and i was able to catch it on video but haven't had the chance to bring it back in yet. It's actually gone about 2 months since without the issue happening and then it just showed it's ugly face again last week. Once i hit the CD unit with the side of my fist it stopped which leads me to believe it may just be a connection issue. I doesn't effect the nav unit at all.
Old 07-12-11, 03:28 PM
Second2Non
Driver School Candidate

I have an 07 is350 and the same thing happens to me. First time radio "off" and passenger/back windows stopped working. Now it just happens randomly... But only the radio off and cd ejecting part. I did notice it often happens when I'm playing volume over "40".
Old 07-12-11, 07:29 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by my95tsi
Once i hit the CD unit with the side of my fist it stopped which leads me to believe it may just be a connection issue.
I love the gentle persuasion used to make it work...I would have done the same thing! LOL
Old 07-12-11, 11:53 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has never happened to me, though my AUX port just stopped working on it own... I have a non-NAV '08 IS250...
Old 07-13-11, 06:39 AM
nastyemu
Driver

I don't have the nav, but sometimes my headunit will just turn itself off too. A couple times it happened over bumps which makes me think it's a connection issue.
Old 07-13-11, 11:37 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nastyemu
I don't have the nav, but sometimes my headunit will just turn itself off too. A couple times it happened over bumps which makes me think it's a connection issue.
Yes i've noticed mine is "bump" related. I expect to experience this more once I get my F Sport springs installed on Saturday.
Old 07-15-11, 12:19 AM
SpideyTRD
Driver School Candidate

I have 2008 IS250 and it does exactly the same, I usually have 4 o 5 mp3 cds in the cd changer, and it ejects all of them one by one after it turns off!, if somebody finds a solution, please!, message me. Thank you
Old 07-15-11, 04:46 PM
skyhawk62y
Driver School Candidate

Okay, this is what I have learned about this issue:

From the comments here and by searching the internet, I have found that the radio turning itself off and ejecting CD's is actually quite common.

I also went into the dealership today and talked with the service/parts guys and they said they have seen this before and have replaced a few radio receivers because of it. Unfortunately, Lexus hasn't issued any kind of service bulletins on this so it is not very widely understood why it is happening.

The dealership also said that they can replace the receiver unit with a factory refurbished one for around $650, which isn't too bad. My radio has turned itself off about 3 more times since I first posted this and it's looking like I am going to have to shell out the cash to fix it. It's driving me nuts.

Oh, and there isn't any conditions that seem to aggravate the issue. It has turned off while driving and also while sitting still with the ACC on.
Old 07-15-11, 05:48 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The radio unit has a lot of electrical issues. My volume **** would malfunction, and it didn't get really bad until it was out of warranty. I reported it 4 times to my service advisor while it was in warranty, and everytime I brought it in they could not replicate the problem until last week, Lexus replaced it free of charge.
Old 09-30-11, 06:07 AM
matador250
Rookie

My wifes car is doing same thing and it's really annoying

Quick Reply: Radio Problem