IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 03:10 PM
TomTom236
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
Anyone who's has a 2011 IS in the Los Angeles area who had their lights replaced with the NEW corrected ones, can you please give me a referral? The dealership and consultant you dealt with please. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
A couple months late, but I had mine replaced earlier this year by Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys. PM me if you're still needing more info.
Old 09-15-14, 03:59 PM
Saintseiya
Driver School Candidate

i own a 2012 is250 f-sport with 34000 miles. both my headlights had the same problem, even one had some water condensation in them due to a small crack at the bottom. i drove to jm lexus of palm beach florida, spoke to rick (a service advisor) he took great care of me. gave me 2 brand new headlights for free even after seeing one of my light had some cosmetic damage due to a very minor accident. also fully detailed my car and gave me a loaner for free! so now i have 2 brand new headlights free of charge. very good experience. i did tip him $100 bucks for his great help. so if anyone else is having that problem just drive to the dealership they should take care of it .
Old 10-11-14, 10:51 AM
phuongb
Driver School Candidate

Recently took my car in too have it looked at since the driver side bubbled again. I had the first service done about 15 months ago. Service advisor said they could only perform and honor the tsb once. Is this true? They did mention they would replace the one side bubbling but not both sides under their "goodwill" account.
Old 10-12-14, 07:03 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phuongb
Recently took my car in too have it looked at since the driver side bubbled again. I had the first service done about 15 months ago. Service advisor said they could only perform and honor the tsb once. Is this true? They did mention they would replace the one side bubbling but not both sides under their "goodwill" account.
The Service Advisor I had told me that if it happens again and it was still under warranty, they would replace the headlights again. I would think they are supposed to do something about it even if it happens again as long as it is under warranty.
Old 10-12-14, 07:20 PM
JDMpeezy
Rookie

recently ran into this post, is there an actual recall on this? i have slight bubbling not quite bad but i would like to get new headlights. any info would help.
Old 10-12-14, 09:23 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDMpeezy
recently ran into this post, is there an actual recall on this? i have slight bubbling not quite bad but i would like to get new headlights. any info would help.
Here you go from another member, Jeff Lang I think.
http://jeff.supramania.com/is250/tsb/L-SB-0005-12.pdf
Old 10-12-14, 09:41 PM
JDMpeezy
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgr7
Here you go from another member, Jeff Lang I think.
http://jeff.supramania.com/is250/tsb/L-SB-0005-12.pdf
nice!!!! i was reading threw it and to my understanding my vehicle still has to be under warranty??? i just hit 51k, which means I'm no longer under warranty . . . I'm proly unable to replace them, huh?
Old 10-14-14, 01:51 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

After reviewing this topic on the forum, I noticed that I had some bubbling and wrinkling in my headlamp housings of my 2011 IS 350. Spoke to my service rep at Lexus of Mt. Kisco, sent him some photos and they gave me two new headlamps. They look great and their service is always top notch.

The only thing was he said they were only warrantied under the 4yr/50k mile original warranty. The TSIB did not apply to any certified IS's or IS's that were beyond this age/mileage limit. But I would still make a case for it even if my car was no longer covered. Since its a known defect, you should try you best to indicate that your unsatisfied if your headlamps begin to show continued wear and see if they can at least work with you to get something done.
Old 06-27-15, 11:16 AM
9TO5NOT
10th Gear

Just took my 2011 Is350C in for this issue. Both headlights are being replaced under warranty. That was at Charles Barker Lexus in Newport News, Va.
Old 10-26-15, 08:35 PM
1stgen08
Driver School Candidate

my 2012 350 has the bubbling paint. As far as I know it is the new version of the headlights with the black reflective paint. I am bringing her in tomorrow to get them replaced at Charles Barker Lexus of Newport News Va. So far they are great to work with and they are giving me a loaner. I hope they take great care of my car and don't turn out to be a one of those scary dealership stories.
Old 10-29-15, 05:57 PM
9TO5NOT
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 1stgen08
my 2012 350 has the bubbling paint. As far as I know it is the new version of the headlights with the black reflective paint. I am bringing her in tomorrow to get them replaced at Charles Barker Lexus of Newport News Va. So far they are great to work with and they are giving me a loaner. I hope they take great care of my car and don't turn out to be a one of those scary dealership stories.
CB Lexus did mine also. They work on both of my Lexus'.
Old 11-02-15, 04:37 AM
1stgen08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 9TO5NOT
CB Lexus did mine also. They work on both of my Lexus'.
They did great work. The loaner I was given was a AWD IS250. Compared to my 350 RWD...that thing felt like it could not get out of its own way.

I have a question for all the experts on here. When the dealer swapped out the lights, the LED strip does not look anywhere near as bright as my old ones do. I brought it back to make sure that they were not on 50% brightness like when the headlights are on. The said its good to go. Can anyone chime in on this. Also the updated headlights do not have the shiny black paint below the headlight bulb, its chrome. I just want to make sure I have the correct lights installed. Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-02-15, 05:14 PM
9TO5NOT
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 1stgen08
They did great work. The loaner I was given was a AWD IS250. Compared to my 350 RWD...that thing felt like it could not get out of its own way.

I have a question for all the experts on here. When the dealer swapped out the lights, the LED strip does not look anywhere near as bright as my old ones do. I brought it back to make sure that they were not on 50% brightness like when the headlights are on. The said its good to go. Can anyone chime in on this. Also the updated headlights do not have the shiny black paint below the headlight bulb, its chrome. I just want to make sure I have the correct lights installed. Thanks for all the help!
My new lights are the same way. sort of a smoked chrome finish inside the lights as opposed to the flat black tape that was there before. If I'm not mistaken, these are the same as the ISC headlights for 2013-15.

My IS is in service again having the leather on the front seats replaced right now and I have a IS250 loaner as well. The car is a pig. SOOO underpowered. Of course they wanted to give me an ES Hybrid to drive, so ill take that IS250 any day over a hybrid.
Old 12-07-15, 02:01 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

just wanted to share my experience with the headlight issue.

I have a '12 350 and had the bubbling issue on both sides. I was still under warranty and Lexus agreed to replace them both fully. Had it done but the two LED strips were actually different colors, one side resembled the 2011 color and the other side resembled the 2012. I called them back and they agreed to fix a part number error. If anyone is getting these replaced, make sure you check this out. To really see a difference, turn just the DRLs on at night and reflect them off a wall/bumper right in front of your car.
Old 12-09-15, 03:14 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Update: just got my car back, dealer explained the part was shipped in error and the correct part number was shipped this time.

Still have the same issue with the colors not matching.. can someone else that had this repair chime in whether or not they had this issue or if their colors match?

I picked the car up during the day time so I couldn't see them perfectly, still thought they looked slightly off but I assumed they fixed it so I waited until dark to check. I would post a picture but my phone's camera doesn't capture it.

Quick Reply: 2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect