IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 11:56 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my god, this is BAD from Lexus, I'm hoping to see some in the classifieds.
Old 07-11-11, 02:29 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Def dropped the ball. Fig something like that would have showed up during testing.
Old 07-11-11, 09:41 PM
KOB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case someone don't know what they are looking for. (kinda hard to see it at first) I circle it in red.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 07-12-11, 06:20 AM
sgolko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sgolko
2011 Is 350 AWD purchased in Calgary in March, my car has the issue as well.
Took the car in for servicing today, and mentioned this problem to them. They said they haven't come across it yet, I told them to just wait, it's coming.
I'll report back what they tell me when I pick up the car this afternoon. I told them not to do anything about it yet, just get it on record and wait for Lexus to come up with a fix.
Picked up my car from service last night (another wonderful service experience from Lexus of Calgary BTW), and they definitely agree with that there is a problem with the headlights. Sounded like this was the first instance of the defect they had seen, but they looked it up (probably on here...) and see that there are reports of the issue all over.
For now they are just going to leave it be, and work with Lexus to make sure they are aware of the problem and then replace the headlights when there is a remedy available from Lexus. No point replacing the units with more faulty ones right now.

On a side note, they also put some felt in my dash to get rid of a rattle that was annoying the crap out of me, and clay barred my car to get rid of the "industrial fallout" that has been plaguing white cars in Calgary for the past couple years. Service at this dealership is top notch.
Old 07-12-11, 10:11 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgolko
Picked up my car from service last night (another wonderful service experience from Lexus of Calgary BTW), and they definitely agree with that there is a problem with the headlights. Sounded like this was the first instance of the defect they had seen, but they looked it up (probably on here...) and see that there are reports of the issue all over.
For now they are just going to leave it be, and work with Lexus to make sure they are aware of the problem and then replace the headlights when there is a remedy available from Lexus. No point replacing the units with more faulty ones right now.

On a side note, they also put some felt in my dash to get rid of a rattle that was annoying the crap out of me, and clay barred my car to get rid of the "industrial fallout" that has been plaguing white cars in Calgary for the past couple years. Service at this dealership is top notch.
Be sure to wax your car ASAP (assuming they didn't) after the clay since any protection that might of been on there is now gone.
Old 07-12-11, 10:19 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that sucks. Reminds me of the 97-98 Supra darker headlights. They all have the same problem due to sitting outside in the sun. There are no fixes for this. I hope your dealer will honor the 1 year warranty for parts. I've given up swapping headlights as they are not cheap by any means.
Old 07-12-11, 12:01 PM
sgolko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OPTiK
Be sure to wax your car ASAP (assuming they didn't) after the clay since any protection that might of been on there is now gone.
They did
It was the first (well maybe second) thing I asked.
Old 07-12-11, 12:33 PM
sgolko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by benzo555
Man that sucks. Reminds me of the 97-98 Supra darker headlights. They all have the same problem due to sitting outside in the sun. There are no fixes for this. I hope your dealer will honor the 1 year warranty for parts. I've given up swapping headlights as they are not cheap by any means.
Don't you think this is a bit of an over-reaction? (EDIT: Not just directed at Benzo, but to all of the comments about how this is so disastrous). All they need to do is find a different paint that doesn't bubble at that heat. Yeah, it'll cost them a couple $$ to fix all of the 2011 models out there, but so what? Name one car that hasn't had any recalls. They budget for a certain number of recalls, especially when they do some redesigns.
It's not like this headlight bubble issue causes the car to look like a gross monstrosity driving around out there (thinking of late 1990's / early 2000 Neon's with 60% of their paint chipped off). Its not a safety hazard where you can't drive your car until it gets fixed without fear of death.
It's a minor inconvenience which will get fixed under warranty/recall when the owner has the car in for service already anyways.
Old 07-12-11, 02:25 PM
DorkyPanda
Rookie

So I dropped my car in to the dealer today to get it retinted, there was bubbling and stuff and I also had the service guy look at the headlight. He said he never seen anything like that yet and how the hell i noticed (thank you guys). He can check about ordering and replacing the headlight, I told him it is okay for now, and he will check with lexus to see if they've fixed the defect yet and then he'll look at ordering the part because there is no sense ordering it and replacing it if it going to do the same thing again.
Old 07-13-11, 05:59 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KOB
In case someone don't know what they are looking for. (kinda hard to see it at first) I circle it in red.
KOB's photo was helpful. I looked in my headlights a few minutes ago and have it in the exact same spot as in KOB's photo. All this time I thought I didn't have it or it just recently started bubbling.

I'll be sure to let the dealership know about this along with my seat stitching problem on my 5000 mile service visit. I already e-mailed Lexus about my seat stitching and when I get a chance I'll try and let them know about the headlights too.
Old 07-16-11, 09:08 AM
Linkseal
Driver

Originally Posted by benzo555
Man that sucks. Reminds me of the 97-98 Supra darker headlights. They all have the same problem due to sitting outside in the sun. There are no fixes for this.
That is the reason exactly what happens to 2011 LED headlight, found out when sun shines on the projector lens all the sunlights focus on 1 point where the paint bubbling occur on both both side of the headlights...
Old 07-17-11, 04:52 AM
tengleo2
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, Can anyone confirm whether or not the bubbling gets WORSE or remains some what the same ?

Will it help by just avoding parking under the sun ? :P LOL
maybe put on a layer of 50+ sunscreen will do the job
Old 07-18-11, 10:38 PM
speedywa
Driver

i just took a look at my headlights...and found out exactly the same problem...
gonna tell the dealer about it along with my oil leak problem
Old 07-18-11, 10:52 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedywa
i just took a look at my headlights...and found out exactly the same problem...
gonna tell the dealer about it along with my oil leak problem
You got a 2011 and it has an oil leak already? Dang..
Old 07-18-11, 11:35 PM
speedywa
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
You got a 2011 and it has an oil leak already? Dang..
YES!!!

And i tell you what, already the second time
guessing they failed to fix it the previous time

Quick Reply: 2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect