IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 11:52 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any major differences (aside from the lack of bubbling) between a 2011 headlamp and the new ones that will be installed?
Old 04-08-14, 12:20 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have anyone replaced with a new headlights and then have bubbles again??? If so, will they replace the 2nd time for free??

If not, what makes the second headlights having no bubble?
Old 04-08-14, 01:40 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaXxJaPxX
are there any major differences (aside from the lack of bubbling) between a 2011 headlamp and the new ones that will be installed?
Yes, the new headlights have a whiter/brighter LED. Also the part that bubble is now a different color glossy black.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Have anyone replaced with a new headlights and then have bubbles again??? If so, will they replace the 2nd time for free??

Can't comment on ur first question as I haven't had that problem mines are just a month old.
Second, the new headlights have a different film/coating. The 2011 ones w the bubbling issues the fim was gunmetal/grey. The corrected headlights have a glossy black film. Hope this helps
Old 04-08-14, 01:56 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

My 2012 Headlight also has glossy black film and it started bubbling after 2 years (now) so glossy black film does not really prevent it. You will eventually have it, then what will we do?

This is why I'm holding back and not getting them replaced since my headlight have 3M clear bra and opticoat on it and it looks better than brand new lol.

Originally Posted by ULTSISF
Yes, the new headlights have a whiter/brighter LED. Also the part that bubble is now a different color glossy black.

Can't comment on ur first question as I haven't had that problem mines are just a month old.
Second, the new headlights have a different film/coating. The 2011 ones w the bubbling issues the fim was gunmetal/grey. The corrected headlights have a glossy black film. Hope this helps
Old 04-14-14, 05:56 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FSportIS

Yes, we have a 2011 IS350C. Had the lights replaced after 6 months with the 2012 version. Bubbles came back after a couple months. They will replace again. I'm going to wait and replace right before the warranty runs out.
Old 04-17-14, 08:32 PM
HOMBRVERDE
Driver School Candidate

Just had my headlights ordered from Longo Lexus for my '12 IS. Cant wait to see the difference . meanwhile I was given a courtesy vehicle, '14 IS. I'm liking the seats on this new model. Wonder if they are interchangeable, anyone know?
Old 04-23-14, 04:58 AM
smackman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Headlights intalled

Lexus of Shreveport,LA put in my new lights last Monday on my 2011 ISC 250 and they used the latest part numbers; 81145-53544 and 81185-53544.

They look good! Hoping they do not bubble.
Old 06-17-14, 01:43 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I just came back from Lexus of Valencia and advised them of the TSIB on this issues, which if course they had no clue about. They went ahead and approved it and scheduled me for the change. On my way home they called me back and claim that my VIN number doesn't conform to that TSIB but since I'm still under factory warranty they'll take care of replacing my headlights with THE EXACT SAME ONES! I clearly have this defect issue and they looked at them to verify, so I tell the guy, "so you're going to give me the same headlight so this is can happen again"? Well we hope not, he says. Anyone had this issue? Should I call Lexus Corporate? Is it worth my time? Thanks for the feedback
Old 06-17-14, 02:20 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Under the TSIB, it clearly said they will replace with a enhanced one with a different part number. Members here commented that the updated one has the black film. If you replace with the same one, you WILL GET THE SAME BUBBLE AGAIN! It is not that he can hope for it not happening. It, in fact, will happen since so many have happened already. You should print out that TSIB and talk to them.
Old 06-17-14, 02:22 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Do you notice any difference between your headlight and the new one? How did you talk to them about this? Also, how long does your car stay in their service?

I don't think they are interchangeable.

Originally Posted by HOMBRVERDE
Just had my headlights ordered from Longo Lexus for my '12 IS. Cant wait to see the difference . meanwhile I was given a courtesy vehicle, '14 IS. I'm liking the seats on this new model. Wonder if they are interchangeable, anyone know?
Old 06-17-14, 02:40 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Can someone get me a link to the TSIB for this. Yes I did read the link a few posts ago and downloaded it. I actually showed it to the assistant service manager since this was the first time he's seen it. There is actually ANOTHER revision to that one dated December 2013 which shows my VIN in the sequence. My VIN has a "B" in it instead of a "C" and he's claiming lexus will not recoup the cost back to them because of that. Just spoke to Paul at Longo lexus, great guy btw and he was the one who told me that there is a revision and it does list my VIN.
Old 06-17-14, 02:43 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Oh yeah @FsportIS, you are correct the TSIB does say they will replace with the new, but the issue is they claim my car doesn't qualify for the TSIB because of the VIN. So they'll cover it under my warranty only.
Old 06-17-14, 03:38 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

That's BS go to a different dealership.
Old 06-17-14, 03:50 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
Oh yeah @FsportIS, you are correct the TSIB does say they will replace with the new, but the issue is they claim my car doesn't qualify for the TSIB because of the VIN. So they'll cover it under my warranty only.
They said the same thing for my '12. @fsportis check yours too mine just started to show. Its covered anyway. I wonder if anyone was able to keep the original part?
Old 06-17-14, 03:52 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Lexus keeps the OG headlights nobody gets them back. They get sent back to lexus, I have the part numbers in my car will post tomorrow...

Quick Reply: 2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect