IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect

Old 03-06-12, 04:29 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I called my dealer, and an hour later I got a call back letting me know my repalcement lights are ordered. I dont think they even knew there was a TSB out yet. I reported mine the 1st 2 times that I took my car in for service. The 1st time they acted like nothing was there, and the 2nd time the manager said that they could tell they were bubbling.
Old 03-06-12, 04:39 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ when I went to my dealer they had no idea either. Luckily I printed the tsb from the link in this thread. The service manager actually made a copy of it for his records.
Old 03-06-12, 04:45 AM
jbounnoi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
Yayyyy, i finally got my car back today. the new 2012 lights looks great. i actually prefer the glossy black inside.
post some pics! is the colour difference noticeable?

im suppose to be getting my replacement ones soon from sewell..
Old 03-06-12, 11:36 PM
kegleyb
Driver

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
^^ when I went to my dealer they had no idea either. Luckily I printed the tsb from the link in this thread. The service manager actually made a copy of it for his records.
Funny you say that, my service manager's exact words were "you aren't supposed to have that", when I showed him the TSB. Then he said, "s*** I have the same headlights, I'll be right back." I died laughing.

At least it worked!
Old 03-07-12, 12:26 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kegleyb
Funny you say that, my service manager's exact words were "you aren't supposed to have that", when I showed him the TSB. Then he said, "s*** I have the same headlights, I'll be right back." I died laughing.

At least it worked!
Hahaha I've had the exact same thing said to me too ... (but for a different TSB).
Old 03-07-12, 03:06 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno what the deal is with dealers and TSB's. If I understand it correctly it was issued on Fed 1st. You would think that you would get some sort of notification by now. I would bet if I didnt know about it, and took my car in for service they wouldnt mention it.
Old 03-07-12, 04:49 AM
yoegster
Driver

Originally Posted by HAYSTACK
I dunno what the deal is with dealers and TSB's. If I understand it correctly it was issued on Fed 1st. You would think that you would get some sort of notification by now. I would bet if I didnt know about it, and took my car in for service they wouldnt mention it.
I don't think they notify you about TSBs since officially the issue isn't happening on every car. It is amazing that so many dealers (including mine) didn't know about it and the CL Members had to tell them about the issue and the TSB!
Old 03-07-12, 05:47 AM
350FSport
Driver

I listed the LSB number in my appointment for my 10k service. Service manager didn't know about it, but called me the next day saying the lights were on order, then put them in day after that no problem. The paint inside the housing is now piano black, and there is a bit of a "ripple" in the plastic now (not really sure how to describe it, other that it looks like built-in eyelids).

Just bring the LSB in with you they will replace them no questions asked.
Old 03-07-12, 08:21 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like some of you guys got it pretty convenient! ... When I called the dealership I usually go to a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the TSB and they said they know about the TSB. I've shown the headlights problem to them before and they still said they have to look at the car again and can't order me the headlights based on my phone call. It'll be a bit longer wait for me since they won't be ordering the headlights for me ahead of time before the visit.
Old 03-07-12, 09:16 AM
yoegster
Driver

Originally Posted by Wunko
Sounds like some of you guys got it pretty convenient! ... When I called the dealership I usually go to a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the TSB and they said they know about the TSB. I've shown the headlights problem to them before and they still said they have to look at the car again and can't order me the headlights based on my phone call. It'll be a bit longer wait for me since they won't be ordering the headlights for me ahead of time before the visit.
My Service Manager, who is great, needed to see it and show it to someone in the shop. I think the job is about 2,500-3k in Warranty work.
Old 03-28-12, 01:26 PM
diablo1714
Driver

I had no problems with my dealer. they did not ask to see the TSB# or Documentation, and they simply ordered my new lights.
It took about 2-3 weeks to receive them, but they were installed today.
I'm sporting the eyelashes now !!
Old 03-28-12, 03:52 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Dealer hadn't heard of the TSB when i talked to them on the phone so i just printed it out and took it in. He looked at it for half a second and said OK and ordered the items.

1 week later I get my new headlights.

Later that day... Fell in love with my car all over again
Old 03-31-12, 07:54 AM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

Default Small problem - Excellent service

Lexus and Lexus of Richmond Hill have been great regarding this issue.

I reported the problem to my service adviser Kevin back in November during my ISFs 16k km maintenance - we looked around the dealership and found all the '11 ISs in the direct sun had the issue. We both decided at the time that it would be best to wait for a fix before replacing them. I personally get nervous when anyone starts taking apart my car - especially for something that may / may not remedy the issue.

Was in for my 24k km service recently when he made me aware a fix was available. He explained the fixes in the '12 lights and showed them to me on the showroom ISF. He had already ordered the replacement parts in advance and had a '12 ES waiting for me to beat around.

After living with them for a few days, I think most will not notice the ripples above the main lamp - it is very subtle. I notice them, but they don’t really bother me. I think I’ve seen them on other cars in the line up. Also, I actually prefer the shiny black finish of the problem area because it matches the rest of the shiny black innards of the unit.

I noticed a colour change right when I fired up the car to go home from the dealership. At first I thought it was just me – but then my girlfriend commented about how white the lights are now. Friends even asked if I recently swapped the bulbs for something brighter.

I'm just glad the problem is solved and my car looks better…. and I didn’t have to argue with the dealership or pay a penny!
Old 03-31-12, 10:48 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

are the dealers replacing them even though its not bubbling or does the headlights need to have bubbles to get replaced?
Old 04-01-12, 05:04 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesoc27
By FAILED I mean the new set IE the set of 12s with the Black colored coating over the day light run times not the org. Gunmetal color that came with the 2011 failed it had a bad seal from factory which allowed moisture to get inside lights came on and worked but had a faulty seal somewhere which like I said allowed moisture to get inside and build up on my driver side light housing. . . . hope this helps and yes I had 2 sets of GUNMETAL colored ones fail with bubbbling paint and pealing infront of the HID light the 3rd set which was a 2012 set with the black coating failed due to the faulty seal took car back and they swapped out with another new set of 2012s black coated lights and hopefully keeping fingers crossed nothing more happens from it!!!!
I just installed my new lights i got warrantied from Sewell today, the newest ones with eyelashes and glossy paint, and just like above, after i washed my car, i noticed water inside the driver side headlight. the water is sitting on the line that goes across the headlight horizontal in the middle. the headlight also had the broken tab ( which im not worried about b/c the light isnt going anywhere ). But this all sucks b/c changing the lights requires dissemble of the headlight parts and removal of bumper, be nice if dealer would do it, but im in florida.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect