IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Are there any known issues with the 2011 Lexus IS250/350 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 07:26 PM
Mica2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Are there any known issues with the 2011 Lexus IS250/350 ?

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new car, 2011 Lexus IS250/350 RWD is number one on my list right now if I decide to pull the trigger. Before I'm ready to sign the contract, I would like to see some opinions from you guys that have own the car and your experience driving this car. What are the good and bad about it so far? I'm also open for other make/model if you know any that fits my needs.

Here are my criteria:

- Reliability

I'd like to keep this car for a long time, I want to avoid headaches in going to repair shops constantly, so this is important

- Safety

The recent Toyota/Lexus recalls did cause some negative effects on my decision, but I'm hoping they have addressed these issues already on the 2011 models

- Aesthetic

Love the LED head lights and the rear design, I'm still thinking if I should go for the F-Sport package or not. BTW, is the "shark fin" antenna available on the 2011 IS250?

- Fuel Consumption

I know it uses Premium gas only, sucks to have to pay extra but overall this car is not so bad on the gas, as I drive mostly highway

- Comfort

I drive almost 110 KM everyday so I'm looking for a comfort/quiet ride, my back needs a good support!

- Driving Performance

I don't really care about horsepower/torque (like I'll ever go more than 150km/h, and I'm not interested in how quickly I can get from 0-100 either lol), as long as the car handles reasonably well in GTA weather, I'm good. Now the real question is, how is this car control like in the snow/cold weather? is RWD good enough? I have always been driving FWD cars.

- Maintenance/Parts/Repair Cost

(e.g. how much for an oil change at the dealership? Is it really $200+ !?)

- Dealership

Last but not least, I have already gotten a Carcost report, I know the invoice price, dealer rebate and such. Is it still possible to get a good deal right now? Or should I wait till Aug/Sept when they want to clear out their inventory? (Do they even have anything left? lol) Are the Lexus dealers not budging at the MSRP because of they are still using the earthquake excuse? Now speaking of the dealerships, how is Ken Shaw? read some good reviews about them here, if you know another one please let me know.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your time and input! BTW I'm from Toronto Canada.
Old 06-27-11, 07:39 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toyota reliability hasn't changed with the 2011 models. Lexus is very good at taking care of TSB's and recalls too.

No safety issues, and the 2011 IS is a safe car . http://autos.aol.com/cars-Lexus-IS+2...afety-ratings/

2011 IS is no doubt HOT with those LED headlights, shark fin is standard still i believe, unless Canadian models don't get it.

IS250 is great on gas, altho some people have reported the IS350 isn't that much of a drop in gas mileage. It really depends on how you drive though and what kind of commute you make. You do have to put in premium, but its only a couple bucks extra a tank Most luxury cars nowadays are running on 91+ anyways

If you don't care about power, you should probably go for the 250. Get you better gas mileage without sacrificing any comfort and the car will be cheaper of course. I think the 250 handles well, accessories like the F-Sport sways make it that much better too. Can't really comment on how it is in the snow myself, but ive seen a LOT of threads saying the RWD is perfectly fine in the snow with some good snow tires.

Oil change is NOT $200. At my local Lexus dealer, a straight oil change is $65 + tax. Synthetic oil is about $100. 2011 IS's use 0W20 though, so it only comes in synthetic. Some people are sayign they aren't paying as much as 5w30 though. If you get the inspection and everything done then it may be $200 at your dealer. But its usually just an oil change, the rest is inspections they are trying to gouge you on. But i just remembered, your in Canada, and everything car-related seems to be expensive there, so maybe it is $200? lol

The earthquake isn't really an excuse, its a fact. Prices are high right now on the new ones becuase theres a shortage of Lexus cars due to the
earthquake in Japan (unless your getting an RX) The dealers around me have only a couple or a few left though. I don't know how much beter it will be in Aug/Sept due to the earthquake.
Old 06-27-11, 07:50 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I keep my cars for 10-12 years. All of them have had issues of one sort or another but if I was looking for the ultimate quality and reliability, I don't think I could top the IS250/350.
Old 06-27-11, 08:09 PM
somatic
Rookie

there is one problem..some of the blackout headlights are having problems with the paint melting/bubbling or something like that. saw it on the forums somewhere about a week ago
Old 06-27-11, 09:54 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't really care about power, the IS250 is fine. However, I think you should test drive the IS250 and IS350 just to make sure. I tried both and I wanted the power of the IS350.

My headlights have not bubbled yet but other 2011 owners already have it. I looked in different lighting conditions and still haven't seen it yet. I might not drive as much as the other 2011 owners here though.

I have the 2011 IS350 F-Sport package and the problem I have with it is the stitching on the driver's seat is falling apart and becoming fuzzy. Only someone else and I have noticed this problem so far I think. I e-mailed Lexus and they told me to have it checked out by a dealership which I will do on my upcoming oil change visit. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-interior.html
Old 06-27-11, 10:59 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

only thing is the headlights... all but one of the 2011s had the problem at BOS
Old 06-28-11, 07:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mica2011
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new car, 2011 Lexus IS250/350 RWD is number one on my list right now if I decide to pull the trigger. Before I'm ready to sign the contract, I would like to see some opinions from you guys that have own the car and your experience driving this car. What are the good and bad about it so far? I'm also open for other make/model if you know any that fits my needs.

Here are my criteria:

- Reliability

I'd like to keep this car for a long time, I want to avoid headaches in going to repair shops constantly, so this is important

The engine and transmission (assuming you get the automatic) will probably run longer than you care to own the car.

Issues with these cars, uncommon as they are, are usually with other ancillary things... (the nav screen, the gauge needle lights, etc).

I do encourage you to get the Lexus extended warranty (I'd say from one of the online guys that sell em about half what most dealers do, but they probably can't help you in Canada)... while the cars are extremely reliable as far as continuing to run, all those little fancy ancillary things are retarded expensive to get fixed at the dealership if they fail. ($1000+ for the needle lights, $2500 for the nav screen, etc)

- Safety

The recent Toyota/Lexus recalls did cause some negative effects on my decision, but I'm hoping they have addressed these issues already on the 2011 models
none of the recalls really had much of anything to do with safety, so no issue there... (and none apply to 2011 models anyway).

The 'runaway toyota' stuff in the news was 99.9% BS with idiot operator error.

The one genuine runaway accident was a combination of 2 things (none of which was a problem with the actual car):

1) the dealership put unsecured oversized SUV floor mats in a sedan, causing them to move and cause the gas pedal to get stuck.

2) The driver did not know what the "n" on the gear shift did, how to turn the engine off, or how to properly apply the brakes, which will always beat the engine when used correctly.

- Aesthetic

Love the LED head lights and the rear design, I'm still thinking if I should go for the F-Sport package or not. BTW, is the "shark fin" antenna available on the 2011 IS250?
Far as I know the shark fin has been standard on every 2IS since the 2007 model year

- Fuel Consumption

I know it uses Premium gas only, sucks to have to pay extra but overall this car is not so bad on the gas, as I drive mostly highway
Sorry for using US figures- but the IS350 gets 28-30 in my experience on the highway... the 250 about 10% better...(both RWD)

- Comfort

I drive almost 110 KM everyday so I'm looking for a comfort/quiet ride, my back needs a good support!
I don't drive that much per day, but never had comfort issues on several 1000+ mile road trips.

- Driving Performance

I don't really care about horsepower/torque (like I'll ever go more than 150km/h, and I'm not interested in how quickly I can get from 0-100 either lol), as long as the car handles reasonably well in GTA weather, I'm good. Now the real question is, how is this car control like in the snow/cold weather? is RWD good enough? I have always been driving FWD cars.
if you don't care about power at all get the 250 for better mileage. test drive both to be sure.

RWD will be fine if you put proper tires on the car.

Use summer tires outside of snow season... use winter tires (NOT all seasons) in snow season.. and you will be fine.

I lived in Ontario for a winter with a RWD car and a bigger engine and had no problems.

Here's the thing...

Oil change is $50 at my dealership.

The 20,000 mile service... at which the car doesn't actually need anything but an oil change... is $150.

Never, ever, ever, ask for the "X miles" service. They'll triple the price and do nothing extra.

The only things the car actually needs done is as follows:

Every 10k miles: (on 2011 models): Oil change

Every 30k miles: Change air/cabin filters- (do this yourself, takes 5 minutes), and a brake fluid change ($120 at my local dealer)

Every 60k miles: spark plug change-(this'll be 200-400 bucks depending how bad your dealer bends you over and if you supply your own parts- they're about 1/3 of the price if you buy online)

Every 100k miles: Change coolant (not sure what they get for this, can't imagine it's more than 100-150 bucks though).

That's it

Everything else they tell you you need is your dealer lying to make $ off you.

(Obviously you'll need to change wear items over time- wiper blades, brake pads, etc... be careful to insure you're at the point where you NEED these vs the dealer just suggesting you replace em because he wants a new boat)

- Dealership

Last but not least, I have already gotten a Carcost report, I know the invoice price, dealer rebate and such. Is it still possible to get a good deal right now? Or should I wait till Aug/Sept when they want to clear out their inventory? (Do they even have anything left? lol) Are the Lexus dealers not budging at the MSRP because of they are still using the earthquake excuse? Now speaking of the dealerships, how is Ken Shaw? read some good reviews about them here, if you know another one please let me know.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your time and input! BTW I'm from Toronto Canada.
Can't speak to the dealers in your area... but supply is very short right now... waiting till fall will be better if you can wait... and if they have anything left as you note since the 2012 models will be on the lot by October.
Old 06-28-11, 07:33 AM
Mica2011
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Kurtz, this is very helpful indeed. And everyone else for their input on the light bulb issues.
Old 06-28-11, 08:02 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine's an '07, so I can't speak to the 2011 models, but I can say that the 250 and 350 are night-and-day cars. Drive both and determine if you want the 350's power for the price premium. In my opinion, the only trade-off for the extra 100HP is the extra price, which really isn't too much. Fuel economy figures are so close between the 250 and 350 in the real world that it'll all depend on your driving style. I drove both and the 350's power and performance won out easily.
Old 06-28-11, 10:54 AM
P51SN95
Driver School Candidate

We haven't had ours all that long but we just got a 2011 IS250 AWD a few months ago and I've noticed that according to the display it's at 25.5 mpg

It's the wife's car and it's probably a good 50/50 split between highway and City miles for most tanks.
Old 10-01-11, 05:54 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a 2008 250 awd and had 100,000 miles, I never changed spark plugs at the 60000 mark, the only thing was that it ate alot of oil in the last 30000 miles or so, i dont know if thats normal or not.
Old 10-01-11, 06:15 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Does a Canadian dealership have RWD models?
Old 10-01-11, 06:42 AM
LexStylez
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are my criteria:

- Fuel Consumption

I have a '09 250 AWD. This summer I've been averaging roughly 525 km per tank before the gas light comes on.

- Driving Performance

Make you you buy good winter tires. I have the Bridgestone Blizzak and it handles very well in the winter. The all season tires are useless in snow.

I pay $90 plus tax.
Old 10-01-11, 09:21 AM
JACKPAC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Every 60k miles: spark plug change-(this'll be 200-400 bucks depending how bad your dealer bends you over and if you supply your own parts- they're about 1/3 of the price if you buy online)
Holy crap! I haven't sourced these yet but the last time I changed spark plugs they were a couple bucks a piece and you just gaped them and screwed them in. Took 10 minutes and was free.
Old 10-01-11, 11:07 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
Does a Canadian dealership have RWD models?
Of course.

The only thing limited on 2011+ 2IS models in Canada is that for the IS350, the only RWD model you can get is the F-Sport.

IS250 models still offer a full range of RWD and AWD models.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Are there any known issues with the 2011 Lexus IS250/350 ?