IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS got broken into, windows broken alarm didnt go off

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 11:23 AM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS got broken into, windows broken alarm didnt go off

last night at 1a.m my car got its windows broken laptop taken and my wifes purse taken. my alarm failed to go off.. i checked it wen we were there so once i activate the alarm and i go up to it and un lock it alarm will not go off. the key was not near me so that wasnt it.. so wat im asking is wat are my options to a alarm. i wasnt in the grocery for more the 10min and they pulled this BS on me.
Old 06-27-11, 11:26 AM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Always hide your laptop or purse under the seat so it's out of sight.
Old 06-27-11, 11:27 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people break windows by pushing a flathead or other thinner object betwen the glass and seal along the b pillar. and pry until it shatters. usually not enough force to set off FACTORY alarms. a viper alarm or something of that quality will help prevent this from happening without setting off the alarm. i hope the insurance comany is covering the damages and loss of every thing that was taken. good luck with everything!!!
Old 06-27-11, 11:43 AM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Always hide your laptop or purse under the seat so it's out of sight.
laptop amd purse were under rear seat with seat tilted over it.. so idk how they figured i had it.
Old 06-27-11, 11:46 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If i can remember correctly, the factory alarm will not go off if only the windows are broken. Let me see if I can find the thread

edit: The factory alarm does not contain shock sensors in the windows. So if only the windows are broken and nothing else, then the alarm will not go off. A robber would have to pry open a door or hit the car hard in order for the alarm to sound. Kinda sucks, hopefully this info does not spread haha

Last edited by edgeucated; 06-27-11 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-27-11, 11:54 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

correct. factory alarms are pretty worthless. if the windows are broken, the alarm will not go off.

did you say you afterwards that you armed the car and then manually unlocked it by reaching your hand in? if so the alarm should go off then.
Old 06-27-11, 12:02 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Rule of thumb... NEVER leave anything valuable visible inside a UNattended car regardless of your neighborhood or place. You give any thief a reason to break in, then they will.
Old 06-27-11, 12:06 PM
nastyemu
Driver

What kind of grocery store is open at 1 AM?
Old 06-27-11, 12:08 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How much damage did they do besides the broken glass? When my car was broken into about a month ago, the broken class scratched up the paint on the rear door along with the rear quarter panel. The rear leather seats were pretty torn up too. Besides all this damage, they didn't take anything and they even left the rock they used in the backseat.
Old 06-27-11, 12:13 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nastyemu
What kind of grocery store is open at 1 AM?
theres plenty of grocery stores that are open 24/7
Old 06-27-11, 12:33 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that the factory alarm is pretty much worthless. I learned the hard way on my old Honda. Thieves smashed the glass, grabbed my radar detector (accidentally left it out) and my $$ watch from the center console. Never opened the door so the alarm never went off. That same week i got a new alarm installed, 2 way system with glass break and tilt sensor. A few months later someone tried to steal the car (with a flatbed) tilt sensor sent me a warning signal to my 2 way remote and sounded the alarm. No harm to my car

If your going to keep things like a purse, laptop, etc. Keep it in the TRUNK. And if you really don't want it stolen, open the glove compartment, there's a little button on the bottom left that will prevent the trunk from opening with anything but the key built into your key fob. Make sure you lock the glove compartment too

Thieves always get you when you don't expect it (otherwise how cud they get away? ) Going to the grocery store real quick is a perfect oppurtunity if nobody is in the parking lot. They know your in there, buys them at least a few mins.
Old 06-27-11, 01:07 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about that...

You can enhance the factory alarm with DIY that was posted several months ago. It is a very detailed guide. Just keep in mind that it will take you a while to perform it.

The factory alarm lacks impact sensors and tilt sensors. People have gotten the rims stolen and the alarm didn't squeek. I would like to call the factory alarm as immobilizer.

I used to own a car without alarm and I'm very paranoid. I always keep anything valuable hidden from view. Don't forget to hide GPS mounts for the people who have non-navi cars. It tells the thieves you have a GPS unit hidden in there.
Old 06-27-11, 01:12 PM
nastyemu
Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
theres plenty of grocery stores that are open 24/7
I guess I've been living in the suburbs too long. I've never seen one before
Old 06-27-11, 01:23 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Damnn, That sucks man.. Hate them thieves! lazy low down bottom feeders..
Old 06-27-11, 01:30 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nastyemu
I guess I've been living in the suburbs too long. I've never seen one before
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...adelphia%2C+PA

Sorry about your loss, it's scary to know that it's so easy to get things stolen when we have 'security'.

Hoping insurance will take care of the computer. Don't forget to call all of your credit card companies and banks immediately in case there were important things in the purse.

Quick Reply: IS got broken into, windows broken alarm didnt go off