IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New 2011 IS250 F-Sport or Used 2008 IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 03:21 PM
Chow
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
ive never even seen the red f-sport, but i think the color is nice....but why cant yu get the f-sport in another color? i would get a 2011 250 f-sport over a used 350, the f-sport is definately worth it and the small features are very nice..the seats, nav, wheels, suspension, led headlights, black headliner, pedals, steering wheel..jus to name a few...
There is only one F sport in the midwest region right now and it is at my dealership. If they get another color in that may sway my decision. The only part I don't like about the F-sport is that you cant have cooled seats. I love that feature on our GX460.
Old 06-21-11, 03:32 PM
gtbreeze
Driver School Candidate

The IS250 F-Sport "New" is definitely more practical. It's got the warranty, first owner peace of mind, and will retain it's value longer. That being said - don't settle for a color if you don't like it---- that's just silly.
Old 06-21-11, 03:55 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
ive never even seen the red f-sport, but i think the color is nice....but why cant yu get the f-sport in another color? i would get a 2011 250 f-sport over a used 350, the f-sport is definately worth it and the small features are very nice..the seats, nav, wheels, suspension, led headlights, black headliner, pedals, steering wheel..jus to name a few...
All of which you can do on your own if you purchase a 350 without it. A lot harder to swap out the engine (ok, pretty much impossible...) Seats don't come cooled and nav is an option on the 350 as well.
Old 06-21-11, 03:59 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The old owner of the is350 had 3 chicks in the back seat at once. All that man juice and girl juice took a long time to clean. jk.

Tough choice though. They both have their pros and cons. Good luck with your decision. I also got the 2011 is250 for $36k. Then again, I got the color I wanted but if I had to do it over again, I would've waited to grab the 350 instead. The 250 is kinda slow when I step on it on the freeway but it gets me from point A to B. Locally on the other-hand, it's enough

It basically ends up with how much money you're willing to spend lol.
Old 06-21-11, 04:04 PM
dmk08
Intermediate

I don't see this as a tough choice. I think a 250 is way more of a chick car than a red one....

Go with the 350. When you test drive it turn on PWR and turn off traction control. (hold the button for 7 seconds)
Old 06-21-11, 04:06 PM
kannon
Pole Position

In my opinion the extra power is worth it. As long as the 350 is in good shape.
Old 06-21-11, 04:11 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

I would go with the 350. You won't regret it! And I'm pretty sure you'll need the power once in a while.
Old 06-21-11, 04:20 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

2011 ftw!!!
Old 06-21-11, 04:53 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

This is tough choice. I bought a 2011 Red 350 coming off a 2009 Starfire Pearl 250. The power is a no brainer...I could never go back to the 250. I drive my fiance's 250C and it is just gutless. The 350 is much smoother and effortless. BUT! Again, with an 11...you get a warranty, first owner piece of mind and you get the most current specs. I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal at 36k with as little inventory as there is out there right now. The choice comes down to your preference. Why not pay the extra 3 or 4 thousand and get the 350. It's a decent chunk but WELL worth it. Ask anyone on this forum.
Old 06-21-11, 04:58 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

It would be a tough choice, but I think I'd go with the IS350, probably. It's quite a bit faster, and the fuel mileage difference isn't that big that it's a real concern IMO. Neither the IS250 nor the IS350 get great mileage.

I wanted the 6-speed M/T, so my only choice was the IS250, if I was going with an A/T, I think I would have definitely gone for an IS350.

Again, it's tough though, because getting a new car is very nice. Nothing is scratched or worn. It's all perfect. The other side to that coin is that you get to experience every nick, every scratch knowing that it used to be perfect. If you get a preowned it's a bit easier to swallow at first, haha.

Jeff
Old 06-21-11, 05:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chow
The 350 has the lux package, and the sports package includes springs, silver trim, pedals and I think thats it. My dealer even looked it up. Has wiper washers and the rear camera. I think I will have to test drive both again.

It can't have both. It's physically impossible.

And the sport package includes a ton more items than the ones you list.

For example the luxury package has woodgrain. The sport package has aluminum trim. You can't have both at the same time.

Likewise, the lux package has illuminated scuff plates. The sport package has aluminum scuff plates. You can't have both at the same time.

If your dealer says it has both he is either lying or grossly incompetent at knowing his own cars (possibly both).

About 90% of the features on the two packages are exactly the same, so it'd be idiotic to pay for "both" packages even if it were possible (which, again, it's really not)... and half of what is left is mutually exclusive from each other.

If it has memory seats and aluminum trim it has the sport package and does not have the luxury package.

If it has memory seats and woodgrain it has the luxury package and does not have the sport package.

You can't get both on the same car. Really.

(and if it doesn't have memory seats it doesn't have either package)

Oh, and the headlight washers and the rear view camera have nothing at all to do with either package. The washers are a totally standalone option, and the camera is built into the nav system (which is ALSO a standalone option having nothing to do with the lux or sport package.

ANYWAY... on the warranty issue, the 350 should still be under warranty with that mileage (no 2008 is past the 4 year mark until September of this year)... which means you can easily add Lexus extended warranty (again- do NOT get it from your local dealer... the dealers who sell to the online folks like Jerry, Troy, or Toby, will be a lot cheaper for the same thing)... so that's a non-issue.
Old 06-21-11, 05:45 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Dont get the color you dont like, you'll regret it forever! Go with Black on black. I have that color combo. Classy/sporty/sexy all at the same time. Only problem is all imperfections stick out and the car needs to be cleaned more frequently than other colors. However when clean, its by far the best color imo
Old 06-21-11, 05:57 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As much as I love the F-Sport package, I would definitely consider picking a IS with a color you like. The IS350 is a lot faster too.
Old 06-21-11, 05:59 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only read the first post(sorry if someone mentioned this). All I'm going to say is do NOT spend upwards of $30k on something you don't want. Do tons of research and know EXACTLY what you are spending $30k on before buying it, and later it not be what you want. Especially when the sales man that told you it has luxury and sports pkg is lying because by 08 the sport pkg was replaced by the X-Pkg.

I was just like you in the beginning. Bought what I THOUGHT I wanted. Did my research later, and regretted it.
Old 06-21-11, 06:02 PM
somatic
Rookie

get the is350...i would have it i had had a choice

Quick Reply: New 2011 IS250 F-Sport or Used 2008 IS350?