IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Warranty for Used Vehicle from Private Seller >50k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 07:10 PM
Prowlerjm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Warranty for Used Vehicle from Private Seller >50k miles

Is it possible to buy a Lexus warranty for a vehicle with over 50k miles, that is purchased from a private seller? Thanks.
Old 06-16-11, 07:13 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

No once your out of factory warranty your done. Must be bought before expiration.
Old 06-16-11, 10:41 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
No once your out of factory warranty your done. Must be bought before expiration.
Not true actually. If you lease a car through Lexus Financial and you go over miles past bumper to bumper and powertrain, when time comes and you decide to buyout the lease Lexus offers you extended platinum warranty for a heftier cost than if you were within warranty. 50,000 miles or 4 years, ask your dealer or call Lexus to find out.
Old 06-17-11, 10:05 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just called a dealer to verify this, because I wasn't sure myself.

If you purchase a Lexus that is outside the factory 4 yr/50k warranty from a Lexus dealer, you CAN, at the time of purchase, elect to purchase an extended Lexus VSA warranty (Powertrain, Gold or Platinum).

If you purchase a Lexus that is outside the factory 4 yr/50k warranty from a private party, you CANNOT at any point purchase a Lexus extended warranty. You would have to purchase a third-party or aftermarket extended warranty not through Lexus.

So if you are interested in a Lexus VSA warranty, which I highly recommend purchasing, then purchase either 1) a vehicle from a Lexus dealer, or 2) a vehicle still under factor warranty from a private party.
Old 06-17-11, 10:09 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Not true actually. If you lease a car through Lexus Financial and you go over miles past bumper to bumper and powertrain, when time comes and you decide to buyout the lease Lexus offers you extended platinum warranty for a heftier cost than if you were within warranty. 50,000 miles or 4 years, ask your dealer or call Lexus to find out.
This is only because you're buying the vehicle from a dealer. The above is not applicable to private party purchases - see my above post.
Old 06-17-11, 11:07 AM
threevoIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can sell you a private party warranty if you want some prices PM me. I work at a lexus dealer in FL. We have a special warranty company that handles all of our outside warranties since you cant purchase a Lexus warranty. Very good coverage and competetive price wise.
Old 06-17-11, 02:44 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by threevoIS
I can sell you a private party warranty if you want some prices PM me. I work at a lexus dealer in FL. We have a special warranty company that handles all of our outside warranties since you cant purchase a Lexus warranty. Very good coverage and competetive price wise.
If you go this route, be sure to check that the policy covers the items that are common issues on the 2IS. I have intimate knowledge of aftermarket vs. Lexus warranties; my last car was an '03 E55 AMG with a supposedly fairly comprehensive warranty. It was inclusionary (as most all aftermarket warranties are) which means it lists explicitly was IS covered, and whatever is not listed is NOT covered. The Lexus CPO warranty, on the other hand, is exclusionary, which means it covers everything EXCEPT what's listed as not covered. You would obviously prefer exclusionary, for 2 related reasons: 1) exclusionary policies typically cover more things, and 2) exclusionary policies leave room to cover parts that might be specific or unusual to your car, parts that inclusionary policies might not list.

So my inclusionary policy on the E55 listed a whole bunch of parts, related to every component of the car, so I thought I was fairly safe. However, I ran into quite a few issues when parts on my car (which was admittedly and in hindsight a reliability nightmare and P.O.S., but that's another story) started failing. The problems I had with my warranty exhibited many of the issues you run into with aftermarket inclusionary warranties.

1) My keyless entry door handles failed. "Door locks" were listed as covered parts, but when there's interpretation involved, it's always up to the warranty company's discretion. While I obviously argued the keyless entry handles were door locks, the company disagreed since the doors still unlocked via key, so they weren't covered.

2) A supercharged V8 has many parts other cars don't obviously. The intercooler pump failed, and while "all internal parts" of the supercharger were covered, this was not an internal part and wasn't listed separately so it wasn't covered.

3) You might scan a list of parts covered by an extended warranty and say "Oh that looks like everything", but there are simply so many parts on the car that an inclusionary policy is bound to miss some. For example, the idler pulley wore out, and that wasn't listed, nor was it something I thought to look for while scanning the coverages ahead of buying.

I'm not saying don't buy an aftermarket warranty. But definitely read every word of their coverage list and make sure the items that are issues on the 2IS are covered. For example, the cam gears and the navigation system.

Lastly, read over every word of their general policy. Some aftermarket warranties have deductibles, like $50 or $100, some have zero deductible, meaning you pay nothing out of pocket. Some companies with deductibles have you pay a deductible per repair, some per visit. You obviously want the latter. If you take your car in for one visit and 10 things are wrong, you want to pay a $100 once per visit instead of $100 10 times, one for each repair.
Old 06-17-11, 02:59 PM
threevoIS
Driver

this is the manual:

http://freepdfhosting.com/21cfcf5c61.pdf
Old 06-17-11, 03:27 PM
calvin2376
Racer

I might be missing something, but I don't see intake camshaft gear assembly on there, nor do I see navigation system or screen. Those would be two absolute must-haves for a 2IS warranty.

Also, I love how they use a Supra as the diagram car, like repairs on that would be anything like average.
Old 06-17-11, 03:31 PM
threevoIS
Driver

yea i havent found an aftermarket warranty yet that covers Nav, I would switch immediately, but unfortunately this is as good as it gets for out of warranty Lexus from the companies that have tried to get me to switch to their brand
Old 06-17-11, 04:51 PM
huch
Rookie

yea i havent found an aftermarket warranty yet that covers Nav, I would switch immediately, but unfortunately this is as good as it gets for out of warranty Lexus from the companies that have tried to get me to switch to their brand
https://www.ama-auto-warranty.ca/PlatinumContract.aspx

This one apparently does....but this something offered in the province of Alberta..

Last edited by huch; 06-17-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-17-11, 06:30 PM
Devorkion
Driver

I bought my IS350 with 45K miles from a private seller, good thing he had the Lexus VSA 100K warranty. Transferred to me
Old 06-21-11, 01:44 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I just called a dealer to verify this, because I wasn't sure myself.

If you purchase a Lexus that is outside the factory 4 yr/50k warranty from a Lexus dealer, you CAN, at the time of purchase, elect to purchase an extended Lexus VSA warranty (Powertrain, Gold or Platinum).

If you purchase a Lexus that is outside the factory 4 yr/50k warranty from a private party, you CANNOT at any point purchase a Lexus extended warranty. You would have to purchase a third-party or aftermarket extended warranty not through Lexus.

So if you are interested in a Lexus VSA warranty, which I highly recommend purchasing, then purchase either 1) a vehicle from a Lexus dealer, or 2) a vehicle still under factor warranty from a private party.

I bought my car at 65,000 miles and it only had factory warranty on it at the time. I bought warranty for it 200 miles before the factory powertrain warranty ran out. They offered Factory lexus warranty (Platinum Coverage) for $1400 2 years/24,000 miles. It was from a lady in Lexus of Mt Kisco. Hopefully This helped =)
Old 06-21-11, 05:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AmirLexus
I bought my car at 65,000 miles and it only had factory warranty on it at the time. I bought warranty for it 200 miles before the factory powertrain warranty ran out. They offered Factory lexus warranty (Platinum Coverage) for $1400 2 years/24,000 miles. It was from a lady in Lexus of Mt Kisco. Hopefully This helped =)

You bought an extended powertrain warranty then, not a full vehicle VSA warranty.

At 65k miles your bumper to bumper had already long expired so you wouldn't be eligible for any "full" Lexus extended warranty other than at point of sale from a Lexus dealer.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/warra...rotection.html

Originally Posted by direct from Lexus themselves
New Lexus Vehicles
Lexus vehicles are eligible for a “New Vehicle” VSA for 48 months or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the Agreement Effective Date.
See also
http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...g&carSelected=
Originally Posted by Lexus again
Vehicles are eligible for a New vehicle plan for if less than 4 years old and has fewer than 50,000 total vehicle miles.
Old 06-22-11, 01:47 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You bought an extended powertrain warranty then, not a full vehicle VSA warranty.

At 65k miles your bumper to bumper had already long expired so you wouldn't be eligible for any "full" Lexus extended warranty other than at point of sale from a Lexus dealer.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/warra...rotection.html
Actually it was Lexus extended VSA warranty Platinum Coverage. Full Bumper to Bumper. Ive taken it in for squeak noises etc. never paid a dime. I was told by a couple of dealerships when i was shopping around that they do not offer a extended platinum warranty but there were a couple that did up in the NY and CT area. =D she wrote down my miles (which was about 69,000) and everything. She Also told me that she was able to do it even if my warranty was expired (being past 70,000 miles) for an extra cost.

Not sure how this works as the lexus site states something different but ive taken my car in numerous times and never had a problem. Word of advise, give them a call and ask for yourself. Just my 2 cents

DISCOVER CARD AND VISA =D

Quick Reply: Lexus Warranty for Used Vehicle from Private Seller >50k miles