Print Wikipost

What is legal with headlights ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 10:06 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is legal with headlights ?

I know there isn't suppose to be any "blue" on your high/low beams - but can other lights be blue? Or do they say none so people don't get confused with police/ambulance lights?

Specifically the running/city lights? I have to redo a headlight anyway so I figured go through and replace all the bulbs to match -

I have 4300k HIDs, going to do HID conversion the fogs whenever they show up from ebay, the brights are the stock 9006 bulbs which I don't care if they're a little off, but would like the little 168 running light bulbs to either match or be a total different color -- I picked up two little blue ones today (if these don't work I'll just order some LED ones but they were cheap and here now) and figured I would throw them in but if it is a certainty that I'll get pulled over I won't even bother.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-11, 10:14 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what it's like over there, but in CA, any headlight modification can be considered illegal. If you're doing the parking lights, I'd try to get them to match (or pretty close, doesn't have to be perfect) your lowbeams, because that's when they'll be on the most.
It really depends on what cop you run into...4 of the cars in my family have tinted front windows, and have been driving around for a while, but my car got pulled over and cited within 2 months of me tinting them.
Old 06-14-11, 10:15 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Depends on your state law, but I imagine any kind of exterior blue lighting is illegal. I say go for a color match.
Old 06-14-11, 10:16 AM
sw1tched
Rookie

it probably depend state to state, but I know in NE you cant have any green, red, or blue lights on the front of a vehicle. they are designated for emergency vehicles. I run 8000k HIDs which have a blue tint to them and they're fine, but blue corner lights aren't legal. I put LED corner lights that are a close match to my HIDs. You would have to look up your state laws though to be sure.
Old 06-14-11, 10:19 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
I know there isn't suppose to be any "blue" on your high/low beams - but can other lights be blue? Or do they say none so people don't get confused with police/ambulance lights?

Specifically the running/city lights? I have to redo a headlight anyway so I figured go through and replace all the bulbs to match
There aren't supposed to be ANY blue in ANY lights emitted from the front or rear of the vehicle. Nowhere does it differentiate between specific lights on the front of the vehicle. For example, statutes don't say "No low beams or high beams can be blue" and then leave the rest up to the owner. Statutes are far more general than that, specifically so that they can cover all manner of different lighting setups, since different cars have very different sets of lights.

As I recall, the lights that can be emitted from the front of the vehicle are white and yellow/amber, and the lights that can be emitted from the rear are red, yellow/amber, and white (reverse lights only). Blue light may not be emitted from either the front or rear, because this color light is reserved for emergency vehicles.

So no, you can't replace the parking lights with blue and stay legal.
Old 06-14-11, 10:22 AM
IS3003o3
Pole Position

Why would you want blue lights anything?
Old 06-14-11, 10:28 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Why would you want blue lights anything?
Just a little contrast - matching is tough sometimes - especially going from HID to a halogen/LED bulb

I assume it would look like this
Old 06-14-11, 10:34 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Yikes.

1) That looks garish and terrible.

2) That will absolutely get you pulled over.

Lights that stick out or contrast highly with the rest of the lights on the car are the ones that are most likely to make you stand out to cops. Some cars come stock with HIDs that actually look a bit blue, and these shouldn't get you in trouble. But a car like that above just screams to cops "Hey, I modified my car's lights! Pull me over and give me a ticket and work order!"

Also, the parking lights on the 2IS simply aren't as strong as those above, so you won't even achieve that look. I installed blue parking lights (ordered them by mistake, wanted white) next to my 4300K stock HID lows and while they gave off a slight hint of blue, they were almost entirely overpowered by the lows. They also didn't match well therefore looked ugly. You'd achieve the look above by replacing the high beams/DRLs with blue LEDs, however this is also not legal, and is arguably even less legal because in addition to emitting a prohibited color, you've modified the stock function of the vehicle's lights by removing the high beam capability, also a no-no.

Last edited by calvin2376; 06-14-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-14-11, 10:37 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Stick with 6k's and you should be fine. I rolled with 8k's for about a year without any issues except the crappy visibility
Old 06-14-11, 10:46 AM
pli
Lead Lap

anything under 8000k is fine. for some states, 3000k is debateable.
Old 06-14-11, 10:58 AM
calvin2376
Racer

If you are at all interested in remaining legal as laid forth in the actual statutes, keep in mind that these statutes make no reference whatsoever to color temperatures. They only state colors that are permitted or prohibited. You won't find a statute that says "6000K is legal but 8000K is not" for example. You will only see "Blue may not be emitted from the front of the vehicle". It is written this way so the interpretation of what is truly "blue" is left up to the officer and eventually the judge.

So no matter what people are saying above (e.g. "___K is fine, while ___K is not"), these statements have no basis in the actual laws. While you may think a particular bulb isn't blue but more white, an officer may disagree. A quick search on CL will reveal multiple people with 6000K lows who have received tickets for emitting blue lights.
Old 06-14-11, 11:00 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

the parking lights on the 2IS simply aren't as strong as those above, so you won't even achieve that look. I installed blue parking lights
I was at two auto parts stores today and neither had white 168 bulbs, just a a blue and red... so I picked up the blues just to try and get some (since my headlights will be out tonight) --- I don't want it nearly as bright as the car pictured above - just a like the stock ones are dim, but a hint of color in there.

I'll probably throw them in, take one look at them and order some LEDs - but figured since they were out and apart and couldn't find white I would try it
Old 06-14-11, 11:12 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
I was at two auto parts stores today and neither had white 168 bulbs, just a a blue and red... so I picked up the blues just to try and get some (since my headlights will be out tonight) --- I don't want it nearly as bright as the car pictured above - just a like the stock ones are dim, but a hint of color in there.

I'll probably throw them in, take one look at them and order some LEDs - but figured since they were out and apart and couldn't find white I would try it
I would recommend getting VLED LED parking lights. They're much brighter and clearer than regular bulbs, and give the car a cleaner and more modern look. I bought my 5000K LED parking lights from VLED for about $12 for the pair. You may already have all this info, but the links are in brociouz's "LED Lighting Replacement Guide" thread.

And I'm not trying to steer anyone any certain direction on colors. I just want to correct the misconceptions out there and be clear on what's legal. It's then up to each person whether they want to be legal or not, but you should at least be sure and read the statutes and know what you're getting into.
Old 06-14-11, 11:17 AM
DenIS250
Pole Position

im running 8k HIDs(white with a slight hint of blue) on both my lowbeams and fog lights and just picked up some LEDs for the parking lights and look great!
Old 06-14-11, 11:20 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Use the paper test... I've known High Patrols who will walk up to your car and place a white sheet of paper in front of your headlights. If there are blue on the paper, then congrats on getting the ticket.

As for yellow lights, they are legal as an auxillary light that must be no higher than your headlights. It cannot be used as a headlight. Anything higher than the headlights is considered for off road use only.

You can check out the DMV for the information.

Quick Reply: What is legal with headlights ?