IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Now a good time to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 07:17 AM
threevoIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used car values are rediculously high right now, and Dealerships want to buy cars from consumers because we have to pay clean book+, especially for Lexus and other high line vehicles, to try and save some money. We have certified 2010 ES and RXs that we need to sell very close to New Car prices just to turn a decent profit because of how expensive it is to fill the inventory. If you are in need of a new car, right now is the time to trade because the trade in values are going to hopefully go back down very soon.
Old 06-17-11, 07:36 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was offered 35k for my car with all of the F sport goodies on it. I bought it July 1st of 2010 and put 2,200 miles in that year.

I was told that my F sport stuff does not add to the dollar amount, that what I'm being offered is the same for one that does not have the upgrades. I had explained that the car was a custom order, that only the suspension, mats, **** and intake were what I added. The others were put on before original delivery of the car as part of the custom order and should be included, not considered a regular car. He said no, that it has to be sold as stock and all of that F sport stuff will be removed.

But wait. I bought it like that. It was ordered like that from the factory and installed at port. Was it stock or not??

And since the F sport equip that I bought were of no added "value" then I want them back. I still have the OEM stuff to replace it with. He told me NO, that if I wanted the stuff back, I can buy it from parts once they put the car back to stock.

Somehow I felt like that wasn't fair.

So I didn't buy the ISF that I was looking to trade it in for.

Last edited by Micaiah; 06-17-11 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-17-11, 08:14 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous.
Old 06-17-11, 10:02 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL I don't know how that makes sense AT ALL. Sounds like they were just trying to make boatloads more money off you.
Old 06-17-11, 10:12 AM
Micaiah

He was saying that when someone changes something on a car, there is a reason...such as, perhaps the car got into an accident and that's why the wheels were changed. Or that I upgraded it to race (abuse it). He said when a car is not stock the consumer will be dubious.

Makes sense but if its all Lexus upgrades (especially ordered that way) it sounded like an excuse.

Huh. The guy just called (I didn't answer) and asked me on the message if I still wanted the ISF..."we can talk"...

Oh and by the way, this wasn't my favorite dealer, Magnussen of Fremont who is awesome. It was a different dealer I took my car to for an oil change. This all happened while I was waiting for my car.
Old 06-17-11, 10:24 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

I would have ignored the call too. That's way over the top.
Old 06-17-11, 11:05 AM
threevoIS
Driver

The only thing he was right about was that aftermarket adds dont increase the trade in value on a car. Customizing a car and trading it in with all the stuff on it limits the market to which it can be sold, which makes it stick around longer and cost the dealer more money
Old 06-17-11, 11:19 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Customizing a car and trading it in with all the stuff on it limits the market to which it can be sold, which makes it stick around longer and cost the dealer more money

Co-sign
Old 06-17-11, 11:28 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
He was saying that when someone changes something on a car, there is a reason...such as, perhaps the car got into an accident and that's why the wheels were changed. Or that I upgraded it to race (abuse it). He said when a car is not stock the consumer will be dubious.

Makes sense but if its all Lexus upgrades (especially ordered that way) it sounded like an excuse.

Huh. The guy just called (I didn't answer) and asked me on the message if I still wanted the ISF..."we can talk"...

Oh and by the way, this wasn't my favorite dealer, Magnussen of Fremont who is awesome. It was a different dealer I took my car to for an oil change. This all happened while I was waiting for my car.
None of that makes sense on the dealer's part. The dealer wouldn't be required to remove all that stuff - he'd probably just check over everything and make sure they're legitimate F-Sport parts and are installed properly, so as not to open themselves up to problems post-sale. Of course it's his prerogative if he wants to remove it to target a different market. But it was definitely a selling point for me - my used IS350 came with F-Sport exhaust which had been installed by the original selling dealership.

Hopefully, if you're really set on that IS-F, you can talk some sense into the dealer and set him straight so you can move up to that V8..

Option 2 of course is just to part out the aftermarket stuff on CL and trade it in stock, but you'd have to procure all the stock equivalents.

Last edited by calvin2376; 06-17-11 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-17-11, 01:35 PM
Micaiah

Originally Posted by threevoIS
The only thing he was right about was that aftermarket adds dont increase the trade in value on a car.
I agree with you on this, which is why I was not really having an issue with it and wanted to swap it out with the OEM equip I have in the garage. What bothered me is that he was offering me the trade in value for a car that was not custom ordered. Not only are the exhaust, wheels and brakes on the sheet that came with the car, so is the radar and the parking sensors. I was getting quoted for a car that didn't have any of that.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
None of that makes sense on the dealer's part. The dealer wouldn't be required to remove all that stuff - he'd probably just check over everything and make sure they're legitimate F-Sport parts and are installed properly, so as not to open themselves up to problems post-sale. .
While the car was getting the quickie check over during the oil change, I went with him to the bay and he was asking the guys working on my car if all was there as claimed. They said all was legit.

He was adamant on bringing the car back to stock before he sells it and I guess he's just catering to the clientele (which I understand because of the logistics) but to not let me swap out my parts for the OEM ones AND tell me I have to buy them back kind of made me think it wasn't fair.

Put it this way. If he would have said "Sure, bring the OEM stuff back, we'll swap it out and you take home the stuff you added" then I would be in that ISF right now. And it would be nice if he would have considered on trade in price the other things that were on the car since the original owner paid for it to be put on and I in turn paid for it too.
Old 06-17-11, 01:48 PM
threevoIS
Driver

Tell the new car manager that the used car manager is a dumbass and you will buy the car if they swap out the stock equipment and let you keep the other stuff. Im sure they will oblige, new car lexus sales are in the ****ter right now
Old 06-17-11, 02:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
My friend at the dealer told me the same thing, they are giving out more money on trade-ins because there's a shortage of these cars. The only problem is, your not gonna get much of a discount on a new car either. They are less willing to cut the price of the few new cars they have left.
This is exactly 100% the case. YOU WIN NOWHERE. The prices of used cars may be increasing, but the deals on new ones are less now. So it all evens out for the buyer. Or in the end, the dealership gets the same chance to scam and make a lot of money on a transaction. Don't fall for this. Wait until Lexus has some new models out and sell your car privately.
Old 06-17-11, 03:02 PM
threevoIS
Driver

lol i love how every dealership is out there trying to scam people... People that go in with that attitude are the ones we intentionally try to bend over because its like a game. I have no problem giving a legit great deal to people when they come in, have fun and dont act like they are the king of internet knowledge on how to buy a car. The dealer needs to make a profit in order to even stay open, you arent getting scammed just do a little research before hand and dont act like we our trying to steal your wallet out of your back pocket...
Old 06-22-11, 08:23 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

New car prices are ridiculous right now. Inventory is so tight that it is difficult to find the color+options you want. Unless you are shopping for an RX, be prepared to compromise on a lot of factors. I decided to wait on purchasing my IS until fall.
Old 06-22-11, 09:18 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea lexus has been offering to buy my cars since we got them, everytime im in the service department and look at ANYTHING someone tries to pitch me with this stuff. I almost did it for a 08 silver ISF but at the end of the day i decided i only drive my car like 10 miles a day so not worth the increase in monthly payment for a bigger engine....for now the SC430 will make due. I might consider trading in if the new IS is very different and much better but even then I think i might just mod my car and keep it.

Quick Reply: Now a good time to sell?