IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question for those with StarFire Pearl

Old 06-11-11, 06:10 AM
iCON
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with StarFire Pearl

So I got my full lip painted today from a local shop. Someone recommended me to them because they do pretty good work. I've seen other paint jobs and installs and their colour matched spot on. Anyways, when I picked up my car I saw that the white was NOTICEABLY different. I know white is the hardest colour to get right but I quickly told one of the techs that it clearly does not match and he told me that leaving it in the sun for 2 weeks would fix the paint and it should match 100%. I was a little iffy about the whole situation so I talked to the manager of the shop and he said the same thing, "let it settle for 2 weeks in the sun and it'll be perfect, if not bring it back and we'll repaint it."

Basically, I'm wondering if leaving my car out in the sun will really make that big of a difference?

Can anyone post close-ups of their Vertex installs?

Thanks!

Old 06-11-11, 06:53 AM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to say but you will never ever get two paints to match perfect if they werent painted at the same time. I had the same situation with my front xpackage lip and spoiler, I added these two pieces about 1 month after I bought my vehicle brand new. The whites on those two pieces are a little off then factory paint that was used.
Old 06-11-11, 07:06 AM
aCortIS101
Pole Position

It's really hard to match a car car.. especially SFP.. since its a three stage pearl.. it won't match unless your painter paints into the body and blends it... I got my lips (Vertex) painted in SFP just last week and they are a tad lighter then the rest of the car... not sure about the whole leave it in the sun thing.
Old 06-11-11, 08:57 AM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Two weeks in the sun won't make a bit of difference. They're hoping you decide to live with it. It is a nightmare of a color to match so if you expect perfection you're destine to end up disapointed. It is reasonable to expect it to match as close as the factory plastics match the sheet metal.
Old 06-11-11, 09:03 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ColtM4A3
Two weeks in the sun won't make a bit of difference. They're hoping you decide to live with it. It is a nightmare of a color to match so if you expect perfection you're destine to end up disappointed.
what ^he said. my car is sfp and i had to have a portion of the car resprayed -- not an exact match and never will be, but close enough. you'll never get an exact match on sfp unless, of course, you decide to respray the entire car. that said, the color discrepancy on your car is minor.
Old 06-11-11, 12:04 PM
561Lexus
Driver

Yeah ditto man... sorry to tell ya, but unfortunately for those of us with Starfire Pearl... we have the HARDEST color to match for paint shops because of the flakes in the paint....not even a Lexus certified body shop can match 2 parts without blending the paint up to your bumper... if all they painted was that lip, theres always gonna be a bit of a difference in the paint...
Old 06-11-11, 12:12 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iCON
So I got my full lip painted today from a local shop. Someone recommended me to them because they do pretty good work. I've seen other paint jobs and installs and their colour matched spot on. Anyways, when I picked up my car I saw that the white was NOTICEABLY different. I know white is the hardest colour to get right but I quickly told one of the techs that it clearly does not match and he told me that leaving it in the sun for 2 weeks would fix the paint and it should match 100%. I was a little iffy about the whole situation so I talked to the manager of the shop and he said the same thing, "let it settle for 2 weeks in the sun and it'll be perfect, if not bring it back and we'll repaint it."

Basically, I'm wondering if leaving my car out in the sun will really make that big of a difference?

Can anyone post close-ups of their Vertex installs?

Thanks!

Vertex lip looked whiter than the car right? I had my painter look at my car first and he told me he would add a bit of yellow to it. You went to Carxxxx or Veloxxxx?
Old 06-11-11, 12:35 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it is litterally impossible to match white. Even if the paint is spot on, the panel of your car are metal the the bodykit is not, so therefore the paint will be slightly different. Your paint is pretty off, sun does help it a tiny bit, but not as much as how different your paint is.

I just got an IS-F bumper painted, and the first time they did it, it looked like yours. I made them repaint it a second time, and I was pretty firm about it. It looked a lot better the second time. However, I overpaid for my paint, so I had a right to expect it to be near perfect. If your body-shop does not want to repaint for you, look for decent. Even a tiny bubble the size of your hair tip is enough for you to force them to repaint the whole bumper. Over time, the bubble will expand the paint will chip away from there, the paint-shop can not deny this.
Old 06-14-11, 12:59 PM
aCortIS101
Pole Position

Soo.. I was kinda in the same boat as you. Got my lip paint a lil over a week ago..which it came out a tad bit lighter then the rest of the car.. Soo took it back to the paint shop today with it mounted on the car.. They decided to give it another go and paint it. They also mentioned adding a lil extra green or yellow to darken it. I mentioned what your painter said about leving it in the sun for two weeks and they said that's BS.. You won't really see any change. I recommend taking it back to your painter and see what they can do. Good luck.
Old 06-14-11, 03:43 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

If you want it to match only way is spray the whole car at the same time. So just live with it that the price to pay with SFP.
Old 06-14-11, 03:57 PM
DenIS250
Pole Position

SFP owner also. I just had my rear bumper repainted since the car had a few scratches when I bought it a couple weeks ago and saw the new paint on the bumper does not match the rest of the car 100%,but its not very noticeable. You have to be a perfectionist or very close to be able to tell the difference. beautiful color, pain in the a$$ to match

Last edited by DenIS250; 06-14-11 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 04:17 PM
DenIS250
Pole Position

here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails Question for those with StarFire Pearl-photo-3.jpg  
Old 06-14-11, 05:43 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Dayum...this is a depressing thread! I was hoping to replace the front lip and my bumper because of scratches etc. Now I'm really second guessing it. I would rather keep the factory paint and deal with the nicks. I'm the only one who notices them anyway. Actually it's very helpful to know about the paint matching difficulties of SFP. Thanks fellas and good luck to any of you having match problems.
Old 06-14-11, 07:48 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

yea matching SFP is a PITA! i had the shop repaint the lip i had twice.... it looked like a totally different white.... it was such a PITA i traded the car in with the lip on it still LOL
Old 06-14-11, 08:49 PM
iCON
Rookie

Originally Posted by DenIS250
here is a pic
Your rear bumper turned out pretty nice. It looks a tiny bit darker to me but it's not that bad. I think it's better if the paint is a bit darker rather than lighter. My kit is SUPER white, I like to compare it to someone whitening their 2 front teeth but leaving the rest yellowish...weird.

I gave the body shop a call today and told them I would bring it in to repaint and didn't want to wait another 2 weeks but the receptionist kept telling me it would eventually change. I ended up calling them out on all the other flaws and she told me that I could bring it whenever I wanted.

I'm not expecting a 100% match because I know that would never happen, I'm just asking them not to half-*** it this time.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for those with StarFire Pearl