IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Strange Temperature Problem IS 250

Old 06-09-11, 03:16 AM
PipLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Temperature Problem IS 250

Hi Everyone,
I have something happening to my 06 IS250 that’s causing me concern that I was hoping i could get some guidance on.

While driving home last night my water temperature gauge went from its usual position on centre of the dial to right up into the red. It stayed there for a while for the remainder of the journey ( fortunately only about 2 mins )
When I checked the coolant it was below the LOW level ( i thought if it was low I would get a dash board message but apparently not ) so I topped it up after letting the engine cool.

I took the car out for a ride and all seemed ok with occasional spikes into the red while heavy accelerating but then back down to the middle as normal.

This morning driving to work ( roughly 20 mins ) the temperature stayed at the middle point but did go high when heavy accelerating. It then fell back down to the middle.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have called the dealership and they recommend bringing it in straight away but i wanted to check with everyone if they have experienced this before and what was the outcome?

Thanks, any help is really appreciated!
Phil
Old 06-09-11, 05:11 AM
DrockSMASH
Driver School Candidate

have you re checked your coolant since the top off? If it is low again, probably a coolant leak. Dont drive too long with it in the red, red = bad
Old 06-09-11, 06:43 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I would get it looked at asap. Sounds like a low coolant or a failing water pump.
Old 06-09-11, 07:10 AM
PipLexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses, sorry I did not post back quicker.

I’ve checked the coolant again after posting and its all still in there and no liquid on the floor. I started the engine and the tick over temperature is very low.

I spoke with a local garage mechanic that used to work with Lexus and he seemed to think that it was the pump as he had seen it before a few times on the IS250. He said that the pump can leak and the more pressure due to acceleration the more it leaks which in turn lower coolant = more heat.

I’ve booked it in for tomorrow morning, although it not a lexus dealership the mechanic seemed to know what he was talking about, so I’m putting my trust in him. Please tell me if this is a bad idea!

I will update after it has been in and let everyone know how it goes. Hopefully its resolvable without costing the earth.
Old 06-10-11, 04:29 AM
PipLexus
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone,
I have had the car in and will be picking it up later.
Yesterday and Today the car tempertaure remained steady with very minor increases. The garage took the car out and could not replicate the issue. Pressure was good, no leaks and steady temperature. *Possible* reason for the low coolant level was that when the car was serviced the seal on the coolant was not 100% in either gently worked its way loose ( or expanded / contracted during the increased weather temperature )
I have arranged to have the coolant flushed and replaced and new oil put in while it was on the ramps.
I hope this has solved it but if not i will post back any updates.
Thanks everyone, really enjoy the car and this the forum members are an excellent group of people.
pip
Old 06-12-11, 01:46 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The next time your temperature gauge is in/nearing the red zone, STOP the car and TURN OFF the engine. If you read the owner's manual, it instructs you to immediately pull over and turn off the car to prevent any possible/further damage - not two minutes later when you get to your destination. Even common sense would tell you something is wrong when something is in the red. You're lucky you didn't warp anything, you could probably buy 20-25 water pump repairs with the money going for an engine replacement.

Nonetheless I'm glad you figured out the cause and repair.
Old 06-12-11, 09:46 AM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

Water pump.