IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

panic alarm went off this morning now car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 01:03 PM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default panic alarm went off this morning now car wont start

today I accidentally pressed the panic button on the key fob to 2009 ls 460 and then the car would not start had roadside assistance come out they tried to jump the battery if fully charged we disconnected the batery cables as this happened once before and it was the alarm not the starting system I have tried everything to reset it
The following users liked this post:
husenos85 (04-25-22)
Old 10-02-17, 01:07 PM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like electrical system has a short' in it. Something may not be groundd correctly or touching a power wire causing this issue. That SuX. As it has nothign to do with the moving parts of the car. Its like it took an " EMP pulse" and shutdown the system which is Electrical based. I haven't seen the issue but it is not unheard of. I will try and get some of the peers attention on this forum to take a look at your post. Be right back.
rmonaco (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 01:12 PM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

Default happened before when I first bought the car

Hello I wanted to mention this happened before when I first purchased the car and the roadside assistance came out to charge battery as I thought that was the problem it took 3 hours but we discovered it was not the battery and somehow in the process of disconnectingthe battery and so forth it eventually turned over, the green light on start button starts out green when i try to start it then it turns orange
Drizell (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 02:04 PM
Drizell
Driver

Yes, I did some further research into the issue. I a got a mechanic that worked on similar issues. He told me just now that he seen a customer bring in the car with same issue. Also it was popping the Trunk open at the same time. Haywire... So yes he agreed with you about disconnecting the battery. What kinda battery is it? Oh well, in the end the dealership couldent correct the issue even when they saw it happend. Diagnostics were done and everything was still fine. The dealer put another battery in and the customer has not had the issue since. Hold the brake peddle down while holding the start button in orange. We have seen the issue and it happend once from disconnting the battery for longer than 1 minute. It will resolve it self in time. Make sure the battery is with in specs of the car as far as amp, cc.
Old 10-02-17, 02:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Care to share all the details?
So, alarm is sounding, car allows you in or you cleared the alarm with the remote? Once is, you depressed the brake, the Start button turns Green and then what happens?

Saying it doesn't start is not clear what it does do.
Green start is lit, I pushed it and...
A) Nothing happens.
B) The engine cranks over swiftly but doesnt start.
C) The alarm is still sounding...

What exactly does it do right now? What is normal and what is not?

Also this is the Gen2 IS forum....
Old 10-02-17, 02:34 PM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

ive tried some resetting solves to no avail the car worked fine just 30 minutes before setting alarm off then nothing i have no idea what to do next but call the dealership
Old 10-02-17, 02:37 PM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

the alarm went off I pressed all the buttons on the remote to accomplish this, then put my foot on break and went to start and the brake pushed up and then nothing
I have the security lights blinking even when alarm is off
sorry i did not know this is the forum for IS
Old 10-02-17, 09:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

So the remote silenced the alarm from outside the car.
Keep in mind that on some models pushing and holding certain button can turn off the remote.

Does it unlock the doors?
Does the start light turn green?
If not, press the brake and place the fobs Lexus logo right next to the start button and push the button.
What happens?

Anything?

Last bit, but slim chance alarm activation blew a fuse. Check all fuses under hood and in the cabin.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 10-02-17 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 11:28 PM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

yes the remote silenced alarm from right next to or slightly inside the car
i dont even know what buttons i pressed to turn it off and how many times my guess all of them and a lot
key fob works well but all the trying caused the battery to die I had to roadside assistance calls today and both tried to jump with no luck
just got back from auto zone put in a brand new battery and all lights and systems functions still wont crank
no sound just a click like a relay switch or something and then light on start button will turn orange
tried placing fob near start button no change light still orange
thanks for all your help
Old 10-03-17, 04:04 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Did you check the main fuse? Do your headlight work?
rmonaco (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 06:17 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Your details are getting closer to telling what happened.
Many systems are used to start the car. Please provide more details.
How long do you hold the button?
How long is it Green after being pushed?
How long from being pushed until you hear the "Click" and is it one click or a series of clicks until the light turns amber? Has it always made the click sound since the problem began?

Normally once green and depressed the starter engages, the engine cranks/spins over and then the engine starts. You have to tell us what it does and doesnt do to solve this over the InterWebs. Or just tow and have Lexus $resolve$.

I know this isn't your wheelhouse of knowledge but all the details tell us where to look.

If it were mine, I would jump the starter solenoid and verify the starter motor, cables, and battery crank the engine over.

How many miles on this vehicle?
Old 10-03-17, 08:16 AM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

I hold the button to unlock just a split second because that is working well. I do not know how to jump starter solenoid.
The green on the start button will stay green until I push the button no start still green but when i take foot off the brake it turns orange
just one click not a series of clicks and it sound more like a lock being engaged or something like a thunk more than a click
headlights and all functions work
I read last night to open driver door lock lock unlock unlock with the key manually
I tried that, it did not work, also it said to do the same in passenger door but i cannot get the key to release the cover over the lock on passenger side
could this mean it is not a master key? I only have one key as I bought the car used and i read here that there is a master key and a valet key does this have anything to do with it/
Thanks for all your help, im just a girl...
Old 10-03-17, 11:01 AM
Drizell
Driver

rmonaco, your going to be okay. Even if your just a girl your still doing a Great job trying to figure out what is wrong. Okay so you went to Autozone and got the new battery. That helps tell what may be wrong. The next place to check is the fuse box under the hood, could be a bad relay- wire/fuse. Or the "Starter". In this case rmonaco, I would take call the tow truck, Pay the $50.00 and have them tow truck it to the local Lexus dealer. It should not cost alot to get the car running again. Because no mechanical hardware parts are broken. The engine is fine, its probaly a sensor issue or fuse issue. If that happend to me I would take it in because its not an EZ car to work on, and IM a Guy!
Old 10-03-17, 11:14 AM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! I am taking your advice and the tow truck is on its way. It was nice just to have someone respond and let me know it will not be a big repair. I will let you know what happens =)
Old 10-04-17, 06:59 AM
Drizell
Driver

Please Lord don't let it be a big repair. I have faith you will get through this. When this is all over Treat your self to a good dinner out or something for the house, or if you got a Guy Friend invite each other out to take a moment away from Life. I will hold my breath and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: panic alarm went off this morning now car wont start