IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID stock ballast..retro fix..

Old 06-04-11, 10:11 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts
Default HID stock ballast..retro fix..

So the ballast on the passenger side went out and I didn’t really want to pay the exuberant cost of getting a whole new headlight just for the ballast so went ahead and tried changing the HID’s from a D4 to a D2 bulb. Excuse the quality of the pics guys..crappy camera phone pics. Also if this has been done before sorry about the re-post.

First step take headlight out:

This image shows the wiring on the stock headlight. Getting the ballast off is pretty self explanatory. Get the brackets on top of the ballast off and remove the 4 screws for the ballast.

The ballast shows two sets of wires the blue and dark grey wires are power for the ballast and under the mesh braid looking protector are red and white wires which power the bulb.

I used 9006 style connectors male and female to complete my connections. You can use whatever I just had these.

You will see the rubber grommet where the blue and dark grey wire goes to power the ballast. Cut these and I connected these to a 9006 male connector blue to red and dark grey to black.

Reroute the red and white wire that power the bulb out of the housing by drilling two holes enough for the wires to slide out from inside the housing. I connected those to a female end of a 9006 style connector. Red to red and white to black.

On the after market ballast I cut the ends of the wire that is used to power the bulb and replaced the connectors with a male 9006 style connector. Red to red and black to black.

Now reassemble the headlight. I put the stock ballast in its original position to seal it back up properly, I used some RTV around the holes that were made to reroute wires out of the housing. Everything was soldered and heat shrink was used on all the joints and just for added security used electric tape to go over all the joints.

Don’t have any pics of the complete assembly with the ballast but I just zip tied the ballast to the bottom of the headlight housing enough to where it was pretty secure there.

Of course change the bulb out, D4 to D2. Put your headlight back, connect your wiring harness and you are good to go.

Feel free to message me with any questions.
Old 06-05-11, 12:20 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-05-11, 09:21 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

so do you end up and use the aftermarket ballasts? to run the new d2s bulbs?
Old 06-06-11, 01:39 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Originally Posted by ohiois350
so do you end up and use the aftermarket ballasts? to run the new d2s bulbs?
yup.. bypasses stock harness and now uses aftermarket ballast and D2 bulb, everything is still functional, self leveling headlights still work.
Old 06-06-11, 07:06 AM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't it have been less work to just replace with an OEM ballast? They are only $50 on Ebay and you wouldn't have had to cut as many wires or replace a bulb that may not match as far as color and brightness.
Old 06-06-11, 07:17 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Wouldn't it have been less work to just replace with an OEM ballast? They are only $50 on Ebay and you wouldn't have had to cut as many wires or replace a bulb that may not match as far as color and brightness.
yeah the oem ballast on ebay not that expensive, I don't like the aftermarket ballast would last long? or you can do another OEM ballast d2s and retrofit, but aftermarket would hold up long?
Old 06-06-11, 11:09 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
the oem ballast is $50 for used oem ballasts and I did change it out once but that didn't last long .. and honestly since I already had a D2 kit I just wanted it done so went ahead and rewired it..
Old 06-06-11, 01:32 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it brighter???
Old 06-07-11, 10:28 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

When I compared the D2 and the D4 the D2 did look a little brighter not significantly though.
Old 06-07-11, 11:29 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

what aftermarker ballasts do you use? I refer the denso slim d2s or mitshibisti ballasts to replace the d4s one, I don't want to use the aftermarket one and in time you have to take the bumper out to replace the ballasts again
Old 06-08-11, 11:20 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

what aftermarker ballasts do you use? I refer the denso slim d2s or mitshibisti ballasts to replace the d4s one, I don't want to use the aftermarket one and in time you have to take the bumper out to replace the ballasts again
oem or not a good ballast should work for a long time. I have had them on my GS for over 2 years now without any issues...and as stated before I had bought an oem ballast off of ebay that was used and it hardly lasted 4 months..
Old 06-08-11, 11:28 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

yeah because that is the d4s ballast's, but oem d2s ballast should last long time, i think denso design new d4s ballasts kinda suck.
Old 06-08-11, 09:20 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

yeah because that is the d4s ballast's, but oem d2s ballast should last long time, i think denso design new d4s ballasts kinda suck.
should've looked into that..you have a part number for the ballast or what car's ballast fit?
Old 06-08-11, 09:51 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

when you look on ebay, you look in the d2s denso or mithsibitsi ballasts? the d2s denso slim ballasts came from toyota and lexus only, and the mitsubitsu ballasts came from acura or nissan, I have d2s denso slim ballasts they last for few years now, and they don't require wire harness
Old 06-09-11, 09:53 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

when you look on ebay, you look in the d2s denso or mithsibitsi ballasts? the d2s denso slim ballasts came from toyota and lexus only, and the mitsubitsu ballasts came from acura or nissan, I have d2s denso slim ballasts they last for few years now, and they don't require wire harness
and it fits where the stock ballast goes without any issues?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID stock ballast..retro fix..