IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Maintenancing at a Toyota Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 02:57 AM
poorkidlol
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenancing at a Toyota Dealership

Hi everyone ! After reading a couple of threads about maintenancing a Lexus vehicle at a Toyota dealership, I'm still have some questions.

Before you read, please note that this isn't about can't afford Lexus maintenance or being a cheapskate or a poorkidlol LOL. The Lexus dealership is really far and it's not close to school and I don't have any free time to spare because of my chaotic school schedule. Plus, the traffic is horrible and the Toyota dealership is 2 min. from my house...

I have a 2006 IS250 RWD and it's 50,000 KM (31k miles) service is coming up. I was told that I may need new rotor and brake pads for my rear brakes and my tires need rotating and something about oil change and maybe something along the lines of changing air filters and etc...

is it safe maintenance my car at a Toyota Dealership for this kind of maintenace or do I have to travel to Mordor and maintenance my car at a Lexus Dealership?

BTW car noob question, how do you know when you need new brake rotors? I have a feeling that Lexus made me change my front rotors for no reason.

Last edited by poorkidlol; 06-03-11 at 03:03 AM. Reason: grammar police
Old 06-03-11, 05:27 AM
bucd
Driver School Candidate

Yes, those types of maintenance is ok to do at Toyota. I actually take mine to a small local shop to a mechanic that I trust.

As for rotors. Usually they turn them when replacing pads as long as it's not warped or your pads has grind into them from not changing those out in time. If they are warped, you can feel vibration when you brake, either in steering wheel (front rotors) or in your seat (rear rotors). If you don't have any vibration, you can look to see if the rotors is still smooth.

At 31k miles, i would think it only needs turned and new pads. Some will say that you should replace rotors when you replace pads. But i don't think it's needed, esp at 31k miles. But it varies from car to car, due to driving conditions and how much someone uses the brakes.

-D
Old 06-03-11, 05:33 AM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats funny because my Toyota dealership told me that I can only get my work done at Lexus...... wtf?
Old 06-03-11, 05:41 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

All I have been told is that recalls MUST be done at Lexus, anything else is okay from Toyota.... I'm in the same boat, I drive past two Toyota dealers on the way to work and the closest two Lexus dealers are 1hr15mins and 1hr30mins
Old 06-03-11, 05:49 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
All I have been told is that recalls MUST be done at Lexus, anything else is okay from Toyota.... I'm in the same boat, I drive past two Toyota dealers on the way to work and the closest two Lexus dealers are 1hr15mins and 1hr30mins
Damn that sucks.

I live less than a mile away from a Lexus dealer here in Atlanta. Unfortunately they are utterly useless and don't even return customers phone calls. I drive about 20 miles to the next dealer.
Old 06-03-11, 05:59 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by poorkidlol
BTW car noob question, how do you know when you need new brake rotors? I have a feeling that Lexus made me change my front rotors for no reason.
I just changed my dads rotors on his toyota highlander at 200k miles - he probably went through 4-5 sets of pads but the rotors went almost 200k before they started shaking a little.

My last lexus, an ES300, I changed my rotors at around 140k miles.

My IS350 will probably need it sooner than that, but 50,000 km is waaaaaay too soon!
Old 06-03-11, 06:01 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLexodus
I just changed my dads rotors on his toyota highlander at 200k miles - he probably went through 4-5 sets of pads but the rotors went almost 200k before they started shaking a little.

My last lexus, an ES300, I changed my rotors at around 140k miles.

My IS350 will probably need it sooner than that, but 50,000 km is waaaaaay too soon!
Agreed. I just had my front pads replaced at around 43k miles and they just turned the rotors. Unless you were spraying them with cold water while they were hot repeatedly I doubt you needed new rotors. You can't put it past a dealer though... they put the pre TSIB dusty pads back on my car.
Old 06-03-11, 06:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

And if properly bedded in and properly used, there's no good reason to "turn" the rotors either- all that'll do is waste metal on the rotor that could be used for braking and waste money the shop didn't need to be given.

If the rotors don't have deep grooving and are above min. spec in thickness simply put on new pads, bed them properly, and go.
Old 06-03-11, 08:31 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

You said you have RWD don't think your tires should be rotated unless you bought rims that are all the same size
Old 06-03-11, 10:01 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

I posted something in the Canada forums regarding a Toyota dealership in Vancouver. Not sure if OP has read that and the replies.

You can get the servicing done at Toyota. However, they can NOT do any warranty related stuff. Also, their computers are linked to Lexus so the records are all added together.

btw OP, the Lexus in Richmond also outsources some work over to OK tire lol...
Old 06-03-11, 02:59 PM
spicaly
Driver

I get most of mine done at toyota, lexus dealer for warranty work though

cant beat the 14$ oil change at the toyota dealer
Old 06-03-11, 07:33 PM
shizblam
Driver School Candidate

"I was told that I may need new rotor and brake pads for my rear brakes and my tires need rotating and something about oil change and maybe something along the lines of changing air filters and etc..."

You know, everything on that list (brakes, rotating tires, oil change, and air filter) is very easy to do. And you'll save yourself hundreds of dollars if you buy a couple tools and put in a couple hours of work. Rotating tires and doing brakes can easily be done together. Same with oil change and air filter.

Please, no matter what you do... don't pay them to change your air filter.
Old 06-03-11, 11:41 PM
poorkidlol
Rookie

Thanks for input everyone, I can change my air filter or what not but I'm not comfortable taking apart my car.

I'll go to a Toyota Dealership to do my maintenance now, I don't think my car has warranty anymore and I haven't heard anything about a recall so I can avoid the Lexus Dealership for a while.

I'm more curious about my rear rotors now. I'm going to take a picture and can someone tell me if they need changing or not?
Attached Thumbnails Maintenancing at a Toyota Dealership-img-20110603-00187.jpg  

Last edited by poorkidlol; 06-03-11 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-04-11, 12:13 AM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And if properly bedded in and properly used, there's no good reason to "turn" the rotors either- all that'll do is waste metal on the rotor that could be used for braking and waste money the shop didn't need to be given.

If the rotors don't have deep grooving and are above min. spec in thickness simply put on new pads, bed them properly, and go.
Sure! if you like your car shaking like a milk shake machine every time you touch the brake pedal go for it! "Turn" is a best practice for a proper brake "Job". Hell, don't replace the "brake fluid" either or change the "Filter" when the "Oil" is changed.
Old 06-04-11, 01:42 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I've considered Toyota dealer service too, but my concern was they'd not have all the right specs in their system or experience knowing which oil goes in and where the filters are and how to remove the mechanism without breaking it (the one in the glovebox, which is already precarious). Unless it's all the same in a Camry? I don't know. But I start getting nervous when thinking about the possibilities.
FWIW, when I inquired at the Toyota store for the oil change, they also told me to go to Lexus.

Quick Reply: Maintenancing at a Toyota Dealership