IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 06:08 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To add on top of Kurtz about the AWD.

The driver will experiecne more noise throughout the car because of the AWD system as I can hear it in mine. Comparing it to RWD, it's night and day, quiet for RWD.

Pretty soon in a while I will be personally switching to a RWD myself for most of the reasons and the other is my dad would like my AWD IS. For me, I'll just get proper dedicated tires and put in the OS Giken Limited Slip Differential (a true LSD) and I am good to go.

AWD is a bit overrated as it does give a false sense of confidence. Most of the time when it's winter, who are the first ones who end up in accidents? SUVs as the driver would think with AWD or 4x4 they can drive as if were normal conditions but forget they cannot get passed the law of nature and physics.

Last edited by Sango; 06-22-11 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-22-11, 09:53 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my AWD. Been through two winters with no issues. If I had known I was gonna pick up a truck for the winter, I totally would've gotten a RWD. I'm lowed on coils and have no issues. But because I don't want to go to a staggered setup, I can only drool at the wheels for sale here on CL lol.
Old 06-22-11, 10:04 PM
SJacob32
Driver School Candidate

If you're not experiencing harsh winters there's really not point of getting an AWD. Living in New York, I have horrendous winters at times. The AWD comes in handy, but during amazing conditions the RWD is well worth it. I wish it was sunny year round here, I would have gotten a RWD car lol
Old 06-23-11, 05:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFan77
Same here in Nebraska. You see nothing but AWD here. RWD is useless come winter time.
Yet somehow, for most of the last century, despite AWD cars being almost non-existant, people still managed to drive in snow!

I guess they all had flying carpets!

And all those folks who live north of where you do, driving just fine in winter in RWD with proper tires, must be figments of our collective imaginations!
Old 06-23-11, 06:55 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you live in florida. why are you even asking this question?

ive had both - a 250 awd in NY, and now a 250 rwd in FL. There is no difference in the ride what-so-ever, unless there is snow on the ground.
Old 06-23-11, 06:58 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here we go again, I'm gonna pass on posting pics where RWD would leave you hanging... ok, well just one.

Streets were coated with 1/2inch of ice here for 2 days this past winter. RWD got you nowhere, no matter what tires. Plow trucks (not 4wd) were stuck all over the city.

In FL, I can't see how you'd ever benefit from AWD.
Old 06-23-11, 07:28 AM
xnfsx
Pole Position

i loved seeing the charger trying to get up a small hill and ended up sliding, so did the 335i, and the c300 (rwd), then i tried and i waved goodbye to them =D. by far the worst winter ever in nyc, but the best experience with my awd.
Old 06-23-11, 08:06 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jmags
Here we go again, I'm gonna pass on posting pics where RWD would leave you hanging... ok, well just one.

Streets were coated with 1/2inch of ice here for 2 days this past winter. RWD got you nowhere, no matter what tires. Plow trucks (not 4wd) were stuck all over the city.

In FL, I can't see how you'd ever benefit from AWD.

And you can just go back to the other thread where I showed you the objective testing that found that proper tires are all you need in ALL winter conditions except going up steep hills.

RWD with proper tires had no problems in snow, ice, etc on anything less than a 20% or greater grade hill. Since you like pictures, here's what such a hill looks like:

If you get a lot of snow and the roads look like that, sure, AWD!

otherwise, not so much

From car and driver:

Regarding ice on NORMAL roads:

On ice, with the traction-control system switched on, the rwd Benz could barely move on stock tires, but it launched easily on winter tires
On the handling of AWD vs RWD with proper tires: (this was after having tested slalom and skidpad in the snow)

As we found on the skidpad, winter tires again showed roughly double the dynamic handling advantage that four-wheel drive offers

On AWD vs RWD in general-

The additional traction of winter tires allows a two-wheel-drive car to outbrake, outturn, and generally outmaneuver its all-wheel-drive brethren.... That’s why our preferred choice is to buy a second set of tires to get through the winter—almost always cheaper than the price of all-wheel drive—while relishing the superior dynamics of rear-wheel drive the rest of the year.

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-23-11 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-23-11, 09:23 AM
Numbahz
Driver

I have the AWD IS and had a another AWD SUV for 6yrs prior and always loved having it, where it isnt 4WD it still makes a world of difference to me in the rain and the snow we get here. I live on Long Island and we get all sorts of weather and having that feeling your glued to the road is worth every single penny, I have yet to slip or slide unlike some other cars I have had in the past. I suppose if I lived in a place where it didnt rain heavy or accumulating snow/sleet then RWD would be my ideal choice with some good tires. The choice is ultimately up to you thou, thats just my opinion on it... Good Luck !!
Old 06-23-11, 09:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Numbahz
I have the AWD IS and had a another AWD SUV for 6yrs prior and always loved having it, where it isnt 4WD it still makes a world of difference to me in the rain and the snow we get here. I live on Long Island and we get all sorts of weather and having that feeling your glued to the road is worth every single penny, I have yet to slip or slide unlike some other cars I have had in the past. I suppose if I lived in a place where it didnt rain heavy or accumulating snow/sleet then RWD would be my ideal choice with some good tires. The choice is ultimately up to you thou, thats just my opinion on it... Good Luck !!
I grew up on Long Island. Learned to drive there even.

RWD works perfectly fine with proper tires.

Better, in fact, than AWD with all-seasons, which is what most folks who buy AWD tend to leave on there all year because they think their magic drivetrain will save them.

If you were "slipping and sliding" without AWD you were either driving on the wrong tires for road conditions, or driving too fast for road conditions.

Again, the car and driver handling tests bear this out:

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Winter tires won again at the snow circle, providing twice the improvement in lateral grip that 4wd on stock tires could offer.

Despite what the marketing brochure told you...and what the salesman eager to push the more expensive AWD car told you... tires matter a lot more than drivetrain.
Old 06-23-11, 10:46 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

i don't like awds... too heavy and uninspiring.
Old 06-23-11, 11:36 AM
intrinsic
Pole Position

had mine since 06' and have no regrets. 88k on the odo and no problems. and as for going up to lake tahoe 10+ times a year in the snow... grips like a champ! even outdid a 4x4 tahoe >=)
Old 06-23-11, 12:14 PM
LexusFan77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yet somehow, for most of the last century, despite AWD cars being almost non-existant, people still managed to drive in snow!

I guess they all had flying carpets!

And all those folks who live north of where you do, driving just fine in winter in RWD with proper tires, must be figments of our collective imaginations!

You must not have ever heard of something called FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! If it isn't AWD, people whom live where it snows get around with FWD. RWD is useless in snow. Take it from someone whom watches cars like mustangs, corvettes, etc....getting stuck all over the city every winter.
Old 06-23-11, 12:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You must not have ever heard of something called FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!
Sure I have... it's what slow cars use!

Seriously though- FWD does fine in snow you're right... just like RWD... both with proper tires.

And FWD cars were also very uncommon before the 1980s... so how did everyone drive for the 80 or so years BEFORE that?

RWD. With the proper tires.

RWD is useless in snow. .

No, it's not.

Perhaps you missed the direct quotes from Car and Driver who tested this premise and found it to be completely wrong?

Perhaps you missed the previous threads where people from Canada and other northern climates, in RWD 350s and RWD IS-Fs, are driving around just fine with winter tires also proving you wrong?

Take it from someone whom watches cars like mustangs, corvettes, etc....getting stuck all over the city every winter
take it from someone who has driven cars like that in snow. You're wrong.

If they're getting stuck they are either:

Using the wrong tires (this is most likely, as tire ignorance is pretty rampant and folks assume "all season" means it's good in snow

driving too fast for conditions (these are the people in ditches- and they'd be there in any car because they don't know how to drive properly for road conditions)
Old 06-23-11, 01:11 PM
LexusFan77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Sure I have... it's what slow cars use!

Seriously though- FWD does fine in snow you're right... just like RWD... both with proper tires.

And FWD cars were also very uncommon before the 1980s... so how did everyone drive for the 80 or so years BEFORE that?

RWD. With the proper tires.

No, it's not.

Perhaps you missed the direct quotes from Car and Driver who tested this premise and found it to be completely wrong?

Perhaps you missed the previous threads where people from Canada and other northern climates, in RWD 350s and RWD IS-Fs, are driving around just fine with winter tires also proving you wrong?

take it from someone who has driven cars like that in snow. You're wrong.

If they're getting stuck they are either:

Using the wrong tires (this is most likely, as tire ignorance is pretty rampant and folks assume "all season" means it's good in snow

driving too fast for conditions (these are the people in ditches- and they'd be there in any car because they don't know how to drive properly for road conditions)
I disagree man. I've lived where it snows my whole life. I've driven all 3 types of vehicles in the snow. I gurantee if you take a RWD vehicle with snow tires and set it next to a plain old run in the mill FWD vehicle with regular tires and set them both at the bottom of a hill and say "GO", that RWD is going to be spinning it's wheels. I'm not talking about the idiots whom think they can drive fast in the snow, yeah they'll always get stuck. I'm talking, getting going from a red light, RWD will be useless...i don't care what tires you got, and i don't care what a magazine reports. I'm talking real world driving experience.

Maybe our difference of opinion lies here...are your thinking of the 1-3 inches of snow? I'm talking 12 inches + that we get up here every other week between December and Mid March. A RWD car is nothing more than a road block.

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD