IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can Toyota turn off my DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 03:44 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Toyota turn off my DRL?

Can Toyota turn of my drl's or do i have to take it to Lexus? I have had the Vleds drls in for 2 month, and already they're toast, but the sad part about it is, I only drove my car 10 times so hasn't even been 2 month.

I bought the vled's thinking it was decent product, but come to find out it's total garbage and not worth time.

Has anyone had Toyota turn off drl's?
Old 06-01-11, 04:51 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure they can. I think they all use the same program to do this stuff.
Old 06-01-11, 05:07 PM
306and277
Driver School Candidate

Just for the record, this is done via software? I know these cars are much more advanced now, but in my 2002 VW you just have to pull one relay. Would this not be the same procedure in the Lex's? I'm sure I'll be flamed for asking a stupid question, but the only other car I've owned is that Passat. :P
Old 06-01-11, 05:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, all you need is a techstream so they should be CAPABLE of doing it... if they know how and are willing is another story.

(and yeah, it's software, you can't just pull a fuse unless you want your highbeams to not work anymore since it's the same bulb)
Old 06-01-11, 05:10 PM
306and277
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for pwnin me.
Old 06-01-11, 05:53 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sick
Can Toyota turn of my drl's or do i have to take it to Lexus? I have had the Vleds drls in for 2 month, and already they're toast, but the sad part about it is, I only drove my car 10 times so hasn't even been 2 month.

I bought the vled's thinking it was decent product, but come to find out it's total garbage and not worth time.

Has anyone had Toyota turn off drl's?
Probally due to improper installation . I along with other members have had them work for over a year now and no, they are not garabage. You could also email VLEDS and ask them to warranty your product, they will send you a new one, and in the same packaging you would place your broken item and mark return to sender, so they can examine on what went wrong.
For the record im in no way associated with VLEDS, i just find it very strange that the bulbs "crapped" out in 2 months, with the car only being ran "10 times"

To answer your question, any Toyota or Lexus dealer that has the techstream software and the obd2 cable should be able to disable your drl.
Old 06-01-11, 06:09 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 306and277
Would this not be the same procedure in the Lex's? I'm sure I'll be flamed for asking a stupid question, but the only other car I've owned is that Passat. :P
DRL relays are used in GM cars too. The Lexus might use one but Lexus owners seem to be inclined to go to the dealer to get things done. If you find a relay to pull or a wire to snip, post it up.
Old 06-01-11, 06:35 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Probally due to improper installation . I along with other members have had them work for over a year now and no, they are not garabage. You could also email VLEDS and ask them to warranty your product, they will send you a new one, and in the same packaging you would place your broken item and mark return to sender, so they can examine on what went wrong.
For the record im in no way associated with VLEDS, i just find it very strange that the bulbs "crapped" out in 2 months, with the car only being ran "10 times"

To answer your question, any Toyota or Lexus dealer that has the techstream software and the obd2 cable should be able to disable your drl.
I dont see how i could of installed it wrong, its a simple plug and play. One side is still blinding bright, but the other side come on very dimly, you have stand right on top of it to even see it barely lit.

I did email them and got all the info, but i'm not sure i want go through the uninstall, ship, re-install etc.. to probably have the same problem. I'll probably just have my drl turned off.
Old 06-01-11, 07:05 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI, the vled guy owns a 2IS and is a member here~ also his products are not garbage~ is it possible you got a bad bulb? of course it is. BUT to slam the company and calling their products 'garbage' due to one defective bulb is alittle much~

I too am gonna have to say installer error~
Old 06-01-11, 07:51 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

show them this..its the procedure for their little magic machine

Old 06-01-11, 10:57 PM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my detailed thread on how to disable the DRLs at the dealership if they tell you it can't be done:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...echstream.html
Old 06-02-11, 07:12 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
FYI, the vled guy owns a 2IS and is a member here~ also his products are not garbage~ is it possible you got a bad bulb? of course it is. BUT to slam the company and calling their products 'garbage' due to one defective bulb is alittle much~

I too am gonna have to say installer error~

Yeah, maybe i was a little harsh. I've been have having problems with their interior bulbs also, which led me to act that way.

I took apart everything again last night to make sure everything was installed correctly. Everything appears to look right, and one side still comes on super bright. So if it was an install issue, shouldn't both sides not work?

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
show them this..its the procedure for their little magic machine

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Here's my detailed thread on how to disable the DRLs at the dealership if they tell you it can't be done:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...echstream.html
Thanks guys, I'll print this out and take it with me.

Last edited by sick; 06-02-11 at 07:22 AM.