IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 05:28 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the silver one bro less miles n its cheap for the miles on it
Old 01-10-11, 05:30 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an IS350 for about the same price 06-08 should be under $25K.. unless you're going to the dealer
Old 01-10-11, 05:34 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aim for the blue CPO IS250. A true CPO vehicle will offer an additional 3 yr/100k warranty.

CarFax certified doesn't mean ****.
Old 01-10-11, 05:34 PM
ohiostate
Driver

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
Get an IS350 for about the same price 06-08 should be under $25K.. unless you're going to the dealer
1) Dont want to spend the money
2) I drive a lot and would get better gas mileage in the 250
3) I have a Kawi 636, if I want to go fast I will get on that
Old 01-10-11, 05:36 PM
ohiostate
Driver

Originally Posted by Imnutz4jdm
get the silver one bro less miles n its cheap for the miles on it
thx for the input as I was leaning towards this one
Old 01-10-11, 05:36 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

The prices are very similar, even the mileage isn't that far off, so I'd be looking specifically at their options packages (if you care) and (more importantly) the condition of the car. Dents, scratches, leather condition, steering wheels, curb rash, these sorts of things.

Jeff
Old 01-10-11, 05:37 PM
ohiostate
Driver

Originally Posted by felixsc300
Aim for the blue CPO IS250. A true CPO vehicle will offer an additional 3 yr/100k warranty.

CarFax certified doesn't mean ****.
Yep, it sure does. Main reason why I added it to my list
Yeah I was kind of figuring that about carfax..
Old 01-10-11, 05:45 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

if the color doesnt matter to you, then i would go with the Blue Lexus Certified IS250.
Old 01-10-11, 05:52 PM
ohiostate
Driver

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
if the color doesnt matter to you, then i would go with the Blue Lexus Certified IS250.
Nope color does not matter... thx for the input
Old 01-10-11, 06:17 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ohiostate
Yep, it sure does. Main reason why I added it to my list
Yeah I was kind of figuring that about carfax..
I don't mean to sound like a douche, but there is something I'd like the OP, as a consumer, to be aware of.

Right now I have two cars: the most recent addition, the CPO '08 IS350, and a '03 G35 that is "CarFax Certified" I purchased from CarMax.

Back then I was a dumb child who wanted a fast car (G35), saw the clean record on the CarFax report, and pulled the trigger on the purchase. About two months later I was hanging out with a friend who's in the auto collision repair business, and kindly informed me that my car has been repaired- in THREE different areas. He pointed out hazy paint, mismatching colors, and chipping flakes on the rear bumper, driver's side rear quarter, and passenger side front quarter.

Maintenance wise, the G35 was havoc: broken passenger window rail, broken driver's door lock actuator, cracked rear rotors (ended up with new brakes all around), dislodged e-brake clip ($1,400 fix), a radio that works when it wants to, and now, leaking valve covers, all within a year. This lead me to purchasing another car altogether, so I got the IS350.

Yes, the G35 is five years older, but the label "CarFax certified" doesn't prove anything and won't warranty anything either. Like I said, the IS350 is a CPO vehicle, and the sales associate ensured me that repaired vehicles are automatically denied the CPO title, showing me the clean CarFax report. I told him to eat it and closely inspected each body panel by myself for signs of repair.

Now I'm not saying that you should NEVER buy a non-CPO used car- a perfectly healthy used car could be sold anywhere for various reasons (auction, private seller, etc.). Just be aware that just because something is labeled, don't let your guard down- don't make the same mistake I did. Furthermore, everyone and their mothers drive 2IS's, so make sure the sample you're looking at is not beaten-up or neglected. Here in San Francisco, almost half of all discerning Chinese women carrying their Gucci or Louis Vuitton purses drive Lexuses (I have two aunts who fall into this category ), and god knows how many more miles they put on their car when they maintenance reminder comes on until they go to the dealership (...and again I have two aunts also in this category).

Last edited by felixsc300; 01-10-11 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Grammar errors
Old 01-10-11, 07:12 PM
ohiostate
Driver

I don't mean to sound like a douche, but there is something I'd like the OP, as a consumer, to be aware of.

Right now I have two cars: the most recent addition, the CPO '08 IS350, and a '03 G35 that is "CarFax Certified" I purchased from CarMax.

Back then I was a dumb child who wanted a fast car (G35), saw the clean record on the CarFax report, and pulled the trigger on the purchase. About two months later I was hanging out with a friend who's in the auto collision repair business, and kindly informed me that my car has been repaired- in THREE different areas. He pointed out hazy paint, mismatching colors, and chipping flakes on the rear bumper, driver's side rear quarter, and passenger side front quarter.

Maintenance wise, the G35 was havoc: broken passenger window rail, broken driver's door lock actuator, cracked rear rotors (ended up with new brakes all around), dislodged e-brake clip ($1,400 fix), a radio that works when it wants to, and now, leaking valve covers, all within a year. This lead me to purchasing another car altogether, so I got the IS350.

Yes, the G35 is five years older, but the label "CarFax certified" doesn't prove anything and won't warranty anything either. Like I said, the IS350 is a CPO vehicle, and the sales associate ensured me that repaired vehicles are automatically denied the CPO title, showing me the clean CarFax report. I told him to eat it and closely inspected each body panel by myself for signs of repair.

Now I'm not saying that you should NEVER buy a non-CPO used car- a perfectly healthy used car could be sold anywhere for various reasons (auction, private seller, etc.). Just be aware that just because something is labeled, don't let your guard down- don't make the same mistake I did. Furthermore, everyone and their mothers drive 2IS's, so make sure the sample you're looking at is not beaten-up or neglected. Here in San Francisco, almost half of all discerning Chinese women carrying their Gucci or Louis Vuitton purses drive Lexuses (I have two aunts who fall into this category ), and god knows how many more miles they put on their car when they maintenance reminder comes on until they go to the dealership (...and again I have two aunts also in this category).
Good information.. Thank you!!!
Old 01-10-11, 08:06 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Get a 350, trust me man
Old 01-10-11, 08:35 PM
ohiostate
Driver

Originally Posted by ScKcBc
Get a 350, trust me man
I keep reading that, I just cant bring myself to spend 25k or more.. I know it is only couple of grand more but Im very tight with my money so.... the 250 it is..
Old 01-10-11, 08:58 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ohiostate
I keep reading that, I just cant bring myself to spend 25k or more.. I know it is only couple of grand more but Im very tight with my money so.... the 250 it is..
OP even if you get the IS350 it'll be a pile of dung (in terms of speed and exhilaration of course) in comparison to your Kawasaki lol. Since you have an extra ride (I only went with the IS350 because it'll be my only ride) I'd say the 2.5L will be sufficient...the Lexus will be the nice, cuddly car to get groceries and whisk your lady friends out to dinner, while the Kawasaki will be a nuclear bomb.
Old 01-10-11, 09:01 PM
ohiostate
Driver

OP even if you get the IS350 it'll be a pile of dung (in terms of speed and exhilaration of course) in comparison to your Kawasaki lol. Since you have an extra ride (I only went with the IS350 because it'll be my only ride) I'd say the 2.5L will be sufficient...the Lexus will be the nice, cuddly car to get groceries and whisk your lady friends out to dinner, while the Kawasaki will be a nuclear bomb.
Hahahahahah. Could have not said it better myself.

Quick Reply: Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)