IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 11:51 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, cam gear rattle on the 350's (not sure if it effected the 250's or not) also the usual stuff like smooth shifts, break and tire wear.
Old 05-25-11, 12:52 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbjones85
Great thread, cam gear rattle on the 350's (not sure if it effected the 250's or not) also the usual stuff like smooth shifts, break and tire wear.
Hey thanks for the tip. Can someone post a short explanation of the issue (similar to the examples above)/link to a thread/or both on both the cam gear rattle (and whether it's 350-only or both) and the carbon build-up issue on 250s? I wanted to include both of those, but I haven't experienced them and don't have the details necessary to include.

Last edited by calvin2376; 05-25-11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 09:09 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Bump for more info if possible.. I've made some additions above.

Here's a list of issues I've seen come up frequently on CL but that I don't have experience with so I can't give a short explanation myself, wondering if anyone else can step in and provide some info on the below issues:

1) Cam gear TSIB
2) Carbon build-up TSIB
3) Navigation issues
4) Anything else you deem valuable to include

Thanks!
Old 05-26-11, 09:27 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

^^^ nice write up... very informative
Old 05-27-11, 03:56 PM
cloudstryf
Driver School Candidate

I had my Cam shaft gears updated a few months ago, not sure if this is what you're talking about?

For a little over a year I would hear a rasping rattle noise coming from the engine compartment right at start up. This would only happen after I had driven the car to a normal operating temperature, then letting it cool off for about an hour. Apon restarting the car, I would hear the noise for just under a second. I sounds like spinning part is rubbing against its housing as it starts up. Again, this would only happen after getting the engine up to temp, and then letting it cool for an hour, never happened on a cold start.

I have an 06 IS350. Not sure if this helps.
Old 06-07-11, 11:14 AM
threevoIS
Driver

im curious what people are paying for warranties from the guy in Kansas. I sell them in FL and the state regulates prices on "insurace" so the prices can not be adjusted. Anyone have experience that can PM what they paid would be appreciated
Old 06-07-11, 11:21 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by threevoIS
im curious what people are paying for warranties from the guy in Kansas. I sell them in FL and the state regulates prices on "insurace" so the prices can not be adjusted. Anyone have experience that can PM what they paid would be appreciated
There's no need. Just call him or call another dealership and ask for a price quote, they'll be happy to provide it. In my case I just called Jerry above, told him what make, model, year and mileage it was and he gave me a quote.
Old 06-07-11, 12:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

two other things that might be useful linked in this thread- the year-to-year changes (I know there's been several threads on it)... and an optioning/spotters guide to options (which I know I've posted several times myself) but here's that content to save a search-

Basically possible optioning on a RWD 2IS is as follows:

Option Packages:

Premium package: Heated/vented seats and woodgrain only.
How to tell if the car has it: If it has vented seats and does NOT have memory seats it has the premium package.

Luxury package: Same as premium PLUS memory seats, rain-sensing wipers, HIDs, power tilt/telescope steering wheel, auto dim/tilt side mirrors, illuminated scuff plates, and power rear sunshade. (usually also comes with 18" wheels but it's possible to get it with 17s). Can't be combined with any other package on this list.
HOW TO TELL: If it has memory seats AND woodgrain you have this

Sport package: Same as Lux package except you do NOT get woodgrain, power rear sunshade, or illuminated scuff plates, but you DO add the sport suspension, sport pedals, and aluminum scuff plates. Always includes the 18" wheels. Can't be combined with any other option package on this list. NO LONGER OFFERED ON 2011 and NEWER MODELS
HOW TO TELL: If it has memory seats and does NOT have woodgrain you have this.

NOTE: Memory seats are only driver, not passenger, for 2011 and newer models

F-sport package (2011+ models only)-18" wheels, Sport suspension, Heated (NOT vented) front seats, microfiber seat inserts, Aluminum door-sill plates, Sport pedals, front and rear spoiler, grill inserts, F-sport steering wheel, shift ****, seats, and badge;
HOW TO TELL: Visually obvious with the F-sport labeled seats/wheel, etc

X package (07-10 models only): Illuminated scuff plates, sport suspension, sport pedals, front lip spoiler, and special 5-spoke 18" wheels. (nothing else from the other packages)- This package can not be combined with the sport or lux packages but can combine with premium package.
HOW TO TELL- The 5-spoke wheels are the easiest way

Standalone options: (unrelated to what package you got, unless it's something the package included)

HIDs (06 models could only get this as part of the Sport or Luxury package on 07+ it's an available standalone option)
HOW TO TELL: Check the multi-switch to the lower left of the wheel that looks like <0>- if you have an AFS ON/OFF option you have HIDs

18" wheels- visually obvious if you have it

Rear spoiler- visually obvious if you have it

Navigation (includes bluetooth and backup camera)- Visually obvious

Mark Levinson (can be ordered with or without Nav, but you only get a DVD changer if it's with nav- CD changer otherwise)- HOW TO TELL: it'll say Mark Levinson on the head unit if it has this

Park Assist- HOW TO TELL: little circle dots on front/rear bumpers

Headlamp washers- Visually obvious

Pre-collision system- HOW TO TELL- Special black-ish L logo on front grill, this is radar cruise control and probably the rarest 2IS option. NO LONGER OFFERED ON 2011 and newer models

XM radio- HOW TO TELL: Hit the AM/SAT button a couple times, if you never get anything but AM it doesn't have it- this is very easy to add later for about $300ish bucks though. Standard on >09 models.
Old 06-07-11, 12:54 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Very helpful Kurtz, thanks - I'll incorporate that above.
Old 07-30-11, 04:06 PM
robbieca
Driver School Candidate

Default Buying a used IS? Start Here:

I take no credit for anything listed here
All of this information was compiled from Lexus.com, my.is, ClubLexus.com, and ConsumerGuide Automotive. Please let me know if anything here is missing or incorrect and I will gladly change it. Please don’t message me with questions, as this is all of the information that I have.
If you have the VIN, you can register the car on Lexus.com to view Lexus service records.

YEAR TO YEAR CHANGES

‘07
-Shark fin XM antenna
-Button to disable Traction Control/VSC

‘08
Liquid Graphite Wheel Finish
Heavier Steering Feel (Noticeable)
New front seatbacks for more rear legroom (a bit more knee room)
Illuminated scoff plates changed from blue to white
Coin holder (not awesome)
Tire Pressure monitoring system

Mid Year ‘08
Sirius Radio
iPod integration (not compatible w/sat radio, can be added to at least 07-08s, not sure about 06s)
Carpet on cashmere interior is now black instead of cashmere

‘09
“Lobster Claw” rims
Cashmere is now Ecru
New exterior colors
New wood trim color
Paddles operate in “D”
Aux/Power Jacks relocated in console
Mid-Model face lift (Bumpers, grill, lights, etc)

‘10
Nav is now HD based (not DVD)
iPod USB integration
New wood trim color
BT w/o Nav
Safety Connect

‘11
AWD IS350
HID Standard equipment
LED headlights
Bumper and grill changes

PACKAGES:

Luxury Package: (One w/ 18’’ wheels, One without)
Auburn bird's-eye maple interior trim
Perforated leather-trimmed interior
Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column
Lexus Memory System to control power driver's and front passenger's seats (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel
Heated/Cooled Seats
Illuminated doorsill scuff plates
Power rear-window sunshade
Rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle
Electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors with auto tilt-down in reverse
Bi-xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)

Premium Package:
Heated/Cooled Seats
Auburn bird's-eye maple interior trim
(Not available with AWD)

Sport Package:
Heated/Cooled Seats
Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column
Lexus Memory System to control power driver's and front passenger's seats (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel
Alloy pedals
Rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle
Sport suspension
18’’ wheels

A la carte options (some come with packages too):
Mark Levinton
Navigation
Rear Spoiler
Sport dual exhaust
18’’
Wood interior
Rubber floor mats
Headlight Washers
Bi-xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
Satellite Radio

HOW TO TELL THE PACKAGE
If it has memory seats AND a power rear sunshade- it has the Lux package

If it has memory seats and does NOT have the sunshade- it has the sport package (it's true there's no wood either, but it's easy to swap interior trim)

If if doesn't have memory seats but it DOES have heated/cooled seats then it's premium package (sport and lux have heated/cooled as well, but also have memory seats)

The only package that's (relatively) easy to "fake" with part swapping is the X package- that car would have no memory seats, but illuminated door scuff plates, sport pedals, a front air dam, and special 5-spoke wheels... all of which are easy to swap onto a base model. It'll also have the sport suspension but as you note it's a bit tougher to notice that at a glance.

If the car has no moonroof (in the US) then it's the ultra-rare X Package without moonroof (the only way to avoid a moonroof in the US sadly... if they offered no moonroof on the Sport package I'd own one)

And finally... if it plays DVDs, it has the Mark Levinson w/Nav package. (both ML and Nav are available by themselves, but it only plays DVDs if you get the package with both of em together).

That's it for packages- everything else (in the US) is a stand alone option.

Lexus Factory Extended Warranty Contacts

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
800-530-5789

Toby Rivers
Lexus of Shreveport
800-335-3987

Troy Dietrich
Toyota of Greenfield
413-772-0231
Old 07-30-11, 04:46 PM
calvin2376
Racer

There's already in a thread in the 2IS FAQ that contains most of this information: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Do you have any objection to my adding your "Year to Year Changes" list to the above thread?
Old 07-30-11, 05:14 PM
robbieca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by calvin2376
There's already in a thread in the 2IS FAQ that contains most of this information: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Do you have any objection to my adding your "Year to Year Changes" list to the above thread?
Not at all!
Like i said, its not even my information. I've just "collected" a lot of others posts to bring to the dealerships and I hadnt see them all in one place so I figured I'd share!
Old 07-30-11, 06:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of that info is wrong...

TPMS comes in all years for example, it's not new for 08

HIDs are only standard for 350s in 2011

Sport package includes quite a few more items... (every single thing in the Luxury package except the woodgrain, illuminated scuff plates and rear sunshade), as well as adding aluminum scuff plates that standard and lux don't come with.

Wood interior is not a standalone option (it's only available in either the premium or lux package)... park assist is but not listed, ditto PCS...

X package isn't mentioned at all until the "how to tell" section when it should have an entry in the packages section...

Also, Sport package was only available 06-10 (on the 350... for the 250 it's never offered on AWD, and was offered on the 250 only a few years... wanna say 06-07, but might be 06-08)

The F-sport package is also not listed (2011 only so far)

Oh, besides the sport package 2011 also deletes the following options from existence:
Memory seat on passenger side
AFS
PCS

Oh, and XM became standard in...2010 I believe...

Probably forgetting a few things but that's the corrections I see at a glance

Oh, yeah... gas/trunk buttons relocated and illuminated... that's an... 06-07 change I think?
Old 07-30-11, 06:31 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know what "package" or upgrade that puts factory LEDs in the map lights/dome and puddle lamps? I've seen it on several premium package 250s but can't find any info about it anywhere.
Old 10-04-11, 03:25 PM
jblessing
Driver School Candidate

What does everyone think of buying cars that already have various mods on them? I tend to think that means they may have been abused more than I would like...

I've found an 06 is350 with K&N Typhoon intake and Tanabe Medallion axle-back exhaust at a local Ford dealership for $17k. It has 96k miles and is in ok shape (seats are a bit worn). It is a base model w/o navi or any luxury/etc package, and has some new no-name all seasons the dealership just put on. The car fax looks clean, and the dealer has the maintenance and recall records that are up to date (minus the 90k that still needs to be done). What specifically should I be looking out for here?

thanks!

Quick Reply: Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)