IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)

Old 08-21-09, 07:01 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

d'oh! my bad.
known issues - The only problem I have is a rattle in the middle portion of my dash and that only happens in the morning. can never be reproduce when I am at the dealership. other than that none so far for me. Make sure the TSB have been done. There is the fuel like, dust free brakes, and a couple of other thing, but ask for the paper work to prove it has been done at a local dealership.
I strongly suggest to also take the VIN number to a local dealership to pull up the service history to make sure there have not been any previous mechanical problems. Other than that, just the basic maintenance stuff on the car should last u a while!
Old 08-21-09, 08:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OH Nasty
It's a Lexus. That about sums up all your questions, I don't believe there is a 75k powertrain warranty or at least I have never heard about that, but I could be wrong.
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/warranty/index.html

72 months/70,000 mile power train warranty on every 2IS in the US.
Old 08-21-09, 09:42 PM
chViETnk
Driver School Candidate

its marked at 24.5k, probably around 26.5-27k otd i would say before negotiating, what you guys think is a good price otd?
Old 08-21-09, 10:50 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

well i got mine otd
06 is350 fully loaded
with 30k miles
had a full body kit / exhaust / rims
Old 08-21-09, 11:34 PM
chViETnk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TokerIS350
well i got mine otd
06 is350 fully loaded
with 30k miles
had a full body kit / exhaust / rims
how much otd?
Old 08-22-09, 01:20 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chViETnk
projectdna - its from a used car dealer lot with 1 owner.
then i would definitely get the VIN and take it to an authorized lexus service center to see if it they have its service record.

in retrospect, i should've added that i don't know if they'll give you that information, as you're not the owner of the car yet. however, i would be led to believe that you have a right to full disclosure about the history of the car - including its maintenance record.

i would continue to do as much research as possible. also cross-shop other is350s. that way, not only will you have more options, but you'll also have a very good idea of the market price for 2006 is350s.
Old 11-19-09, 07:19 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default General IS350 Questions - May Be Buying

Okay. I took a look at the IS350 today and was very impressed. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find one fully loaded with Mark Levinson and a few other options - but there's a 2007 with 20k on the lot that I test drove - and really liked it.. Anyway, here are my questions...

When in sequential shift mode (or whatever they call it where you shift yourself), what happens when you're flooring it up to redline? Does it bog out? Does it automatically shift to the next gear? Does it just sit at that RPM and wait for you to make a move?

What would it take to get my iPod integrated into the navigation system? My 750Li is perfectly integrated and I really love that about my car. My wife's 2010 RX350 isn't setup that way - and the cost of the parts and installation turns her off enough to do without it. Since her car has a different navigation system than a 2007 IS350 does - I'm wondering if anyone here has gone through with it and I'd like their opinions..

That's all for now. I can't think of my other questions. I'll add more later, I guess.. Thanks in advance...
Old 11-19-09, 07:21 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

The RPMs will just keep jumping at redline and wait for you to shift. Remember each time you go into the S mode lol, the car is so quite I forget sometimes. As for iPod integration theres a VAIS kit that you can buy which plays music and videos I believe.
Old 11-19-09, 08:51 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nmpeter
The RPMs will just keep jumping at redline and wait for you to shift. Remember each time you go into the S mode lol, the car is so quite I forget sometimes. As for iPod integration theres a VAIS kit that you can buy which plays music and videos I believe.
Thank you. So if I understand correctly, the RPMs will just keep increasing until you shift.

I remember what my other question was. The Mark Levinson system has one more speaker than the "premium" Lexus system. Is it really much better? Louder? More bass? What, exactly!

Thanks again...
Old 11-19-09, 08:56 PM
camerri
Rookie

The car will not up shift for you in manual mode, it will just hit the rev limiter until you shift.

I have had both the stock system (2007 IS250) and the ML system (2008 IS350) and the ML system is notably better. Crisper highs, lower bass, and of course 5.1 surround. And yes it is louder. I remember turning the stock system up all the way before in my old car and now I never do with my ML, actually one of the first things I noticed about it. Not even really a comparison in my opinion.

Oh, and I bought the iPod integration kit from Bestbuy and installed it myself in about 30 minutes. It's probably not the best product out there, but it was cheap, and it does everything I need it to do, choose by playlist, album, artist, etc. Shows track names and artist names.

Last edited by camerri; 11-19-09 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 08:59 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Thank you. So if I understand correctly, the RPMs will just keep increasing until you shift.
yes until you bounce off the limiter.

I remember what my other question was. The Mark Levinson system has one more speaker than the "premium" Lexus system. Is it really much better? Louder? More bass? What, exactly!
stock is 200watts with 13spkrs/ML 300watts with 14spkrs, the 14th one being a center channel spkr in the middle of the dash. If you like clear sounds the ML is the way to go, BUT even the stock stereo is very good too BUT dont expect the thumping bass like in a G35/37 with the ML. If you can find the ML get it, if you cant dont worry its not a deal breaker. BUT... if your getting your car with NAV then ML is must have otherwise NAV without ML = FAIL

If your the kinda guy that likes to put in a thumpin 2000w+ sound system then it doesnt matter what sounds are in the car right?
Old 11-19-09, 10:21 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the official lexus ipod integration kit costs 250 plus install. sport mode is so worthless. never even bother using it.
Old 11-20-09, 06:17 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When in sequential shift mode (or whatever they call it where you shift yourself), what happens when you're flooring it up to redline? Does it bog out? Does it automatically shift to the next gear? Does it just sit at that RPM and wait for you to make a move?
It will depend on what speed you're going and the max gear range you've selected.

You cannot directly control the actual shift points, for example. However, you can select the max gear the car will shift into, which can be used as a pseudo-downshift at times, in situations where you're accelerating from partial throttle. At full throttle, the car will shift for itself, up until the gear you've specified, then bounce off the limiter.
Old 11-20-09, 06:55 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

the ML system also allows u to play DVDs. I thought the ML system is 7.1 set up not 5.1?

I have nav w/o the ML and i'm happy with it and I dont think its a FAIL. BUT, i would recommend to get a car with the ML set up if you are really particular about your music. As for me, the regular stock system works for me.

I do have the VAIS system installed so I can hook up my iphone / ipod and play music or videos through the nav system. The Nav has also been modified so I can play movies while the car is in motion.

Hopefully you do decide to go with the 350. It is an awesome car. I compared it to a G35, and the interior on the 350 just is so much nicer... somethign about the quartz clock that makes me feel the g35 is outdated =)

GL with your car search.
Old 11-20-09, 09:00 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by camerri
The car will not up shift for you in manual mode, it will just hit the rev limiter until you shift.

I have had both the stock system (2007 IS250) and the ML system (2008 IS350) and the ML system is notably better. Crisper highs, lower bass, and of course 5.1 surround. And yes it is louder. I remember turning the stock system up all the way before in my old car and now I never do with my ML, actually one of the first things I noticed about it. Not even really a comparison in my opinion.

Oh, and I bought the iPod integration kit from Bestbuy and installed it myself in about 30 minutes. It's probably not the best product out there, but it was cheap, and it does everything I need it to do, choose by playlist, album, artist, etc. Shows track names and artist names.
Well I certainly like LOUD - so if the ML is louder, than that's for me.. The BestBuy kit sounds interesting but the $250.00 thing mentioned below sounds good as well... Thank you...

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
yes until you bounce off the limiter.

stock is 200watts with 13spkrs/ML 300watts with 14spkrs, the 14th one being a center channel spkr in the middle of the dash. If you like clear sounds the ML is the way to go, BUT even the stock stereo is very good too BUT dont expect the thumping bass like in a G35/37 with the ML. If you can find the ML get it, if you cant dont worry its not a deal breaker. BUT... if your getting your car with NAV then ML is must have otherwise NAV without ML = FAIL

If your the kinda guy that likes to put in a thumpin 2000w+ sound system then it doesnt matter what sounds are in the car right?
I do like bass - so it sounds to me like I may need to add a little - but maybe not.. I have the best system available in my 750Li (forget what it's called) but it's a little too low for my taste.. The sound is amazing and the weak 12" subwoofers under the seats feel nice - but are weak. I really wonder what the ML will sound like... In any event - is it complicated adding some bass to an IS350? I'll I'd likely need is a 10" Bazooka with the amp that comes with it. I don't need to set off car alarms - I just like to feel my music - a little more than the average person.

Originally Posted by soupdawg
the official lexus ipod integration kit costs 250 plus install. sport mode is so worthless. never even bother using it.
If the official Lexus iPod integration kit only costs $250.00 plus install - what $100.00? - than that'll do just fine.. It seems to cost much more to have it done in my 2010 RX350...

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
It will depend on what speed you're going and the max gear range you've selected.

You cannot directly control the actual shift points, for example. However, you can select the max gear the car will shift into, which can be used as a pseudo-downshift at times, in situations where you're accelerating from partial throttle. At full throttle, the car will shift for itself, up until the gear you've specified, then bounce off the limiter.
Sounds like I'll have to get used to it.. I like the way BMW does it where once you hit redline, it just shifts up.. But that's just me... I remember racing an IS350 with my 05 LS430 a few years ago - and it was the first time I'd went all-out and raced - and as soon as I hit redline, the car just bogged out and I looked ridiculous.

Originally Posted by funnie
the ML system also allows u to play DVDs. I thought the ML system is 7.1 set up not 5.1?

I have nav w/o the ML and i'm happy with it and I dont think its a FAIL. BUT, i would recommend to get a car with the ML set up if you are really particular about your music. As for me, the regular stock system works for me.

I do have the VAIS system installed so I can hook up my iphone / ipod and play music or videos through the nav system. The Nav has also been modified so I can play movies while the car is in motion.

Hopefully you do decide to go with the 350. It is an awesome car. I compared it to a G35, and the interior on the 350 just is so much nicer... somethign about the quartz clock that makes me feel the g35 is outdated =)

GL with your car search.
I guess I'll have to do some research on the VAIS system. I want my iPhone and iPod to work seamlessly in the car.. Bluetooth for my iPhone and music with the iPod.. I'll be looking at the IS350 again this afternoon.. Hopefully I'll come home with it or bring it home tomorrow. I'm kinda anxious. I like this car.. It's a big change from a 750Li.. I think I'm kinda tired of big vehicles, though.. Before the 750Li was an Escalade ESV and before that an LS430...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)