IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)

Old 08-10-08, 03:44 AM
skipbeatz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used IS350

I would like to know if there is anything specific I should look for when buying a used IS350.

How many miles is too much miles on an IS350 motor?
Typical wear and tear items?
Differences between years?
etc, etc...

I know the basics for buying a used car but since you all own one, maybe you can provide better insight.

Any advice, tips or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

R/
skip
Old 08-10-08, 11:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skipbeatz
I would like to know if there is anything specific I should look for when buying a used IS350.

How many miles is too much miles on an IS350 motor?
Typical wear and tear items?
Differences between years?
etc, etc...

I know the basics for buying a used car but since you all own one, maybe you can provide better insight.

Any advice, tips or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

R/
skip

2006->07 changes:

Added shark fin for XM
Added ability to "really" disable trac/vsc with button on dash
Minor ext. color changes
X package first available on 07s

07->08 changes:

Darker colored rims
Added coinholder to dash
Changed front seatbacks to give slightly more rear legroom
Improved steering feel
Color of illuminated door sills changed from blue to white
MID-year change: carpet in cashmere interior cars changes from cashmere to black (first month or two of production was still cashmere)

I'm sure I missed something, but that's the basic changes off the top of my head

Go to lexus.com and check the pricing/features tab on the IS350, learn what is actually in each package because many dealers (and owners) don't actually know what comes with what and you might end up with some misinformation otherwise.

Get something still in factory warranty (4 years/50k miles) because there have been a number of TSIB fixes that are free only under warranty and you will want done if the previous owner didn't do them.

Personally when I was shopping about a year ago I found the price difference between new and used so small, and the exact color/features I wanted so rare, that it wasn't worth buying used. Dunno if this has changed or not.
Old 08-10-08, 11:45 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I Any advice, tips or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

R/
skip

Yeah, don't get Mystic Gold unless you can make it look like this

Old 08-10-08, 01:23 PM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Personally when I was shopping about a year ago I found the price difference between new and used so small, and the exact color/features I wanted so rare, that it wasn't worth buying used. Dunno if this has changed or not.
With the market as bad as it is, they are really really willing to deal on those new cars.
Old 08-10-08, 04:45 PM
rxovermdx
Driver

IS350/ES350 is an excellent car for your $$. Here is my testimony however..I test drove ES twice before going for 08' new RX 350. Here were my reasons from someone hwo owned 83' RX7, 86' Accord hatch, 03' Camry LE and 06' Pilot EXL.

1. ES was very smooth and luxurious but I wanted something less 'senile'. I am 38 y.o., and I will reserve luxurious sedans for when I am 65. It did not ride or sound any better than used 07' Avalon Touring (12 speakers w/o ML). That;s why I traded in my Pilot for 08' RX350 with Nav(ave mixed MPG=26-27).. and I love its versatility and don't have to worry about flooding risk--see below for sedan flooding risks.

2. With recent flooding in midwest, I was unfortunate enough to have ran my beloved 03' Camry over a partailly flooded street (maybe 8 inch accumulation of water), and eventhough I drove through it VERY CAUTIOUSLY, since then there was raspy machine noise from my otherwise serene 2.4L motor that served me so well for 135K original miles. Water probably went into my muffler and/or radiator. It was time for a decision, whether I should trade-in my 'beater/commuter car' Camry for another one. I looked at new Accord, Civic (all Honda dealers are thieves by the way; 08' new Civic had $3500 'Market adjustment mark-up!!!). My conclusion was either 06' BMW 330i ($28K), used 07' Avalon ($22-24K) or spanking new 09' Camry. Well, it was no brainer for me. I paid $18300 for CE model automatic 5-speed with 3 miles on it. The new Camry is a big improvement over 5th generation Camry, most importantly in the interior feel/quality and tighter suspension (no more floaty buick-like ride!!!). Best of all, for the price of 08' ES, you can get TWO 09' Camry CEs. I got $5000 for my 'well-maintanied' 03' camry. ES is nice but you should consider the flooding and the the risk of becoming dormantly demented prematurely.

I say get 09' Camry and save $15K for your kids' college money, or get 330i!!!
Old 08-10-08, 05:16 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rxovermdx
I say get 09' Camry and save $15K for your kids' college money, or get 330i!!!

A Camry is no Lexus IS350 (new or used) !!

If the IS you find has low mileage, or a CPO from a dealer, there is really very little you have to worry about. There were a few minor issues when they first came out, fixable under various Lexus bulletins.

Originally Posted by IceZ
With the market as bad as it is, they are really really willing to deal on those new cars.
As a general rule, most IS350's are still not being hugely discounted in most regions. The pricing is better than it was when they first came out, but not fire sale prices.
Old 08-10-08, 05:18 PM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

check ur PM box
Old 08-10-08, 06:55 PM
skipbeatz
Driver School Candidate

So far i am finding used IS 350's from between $20,000 - $38,000. From what I can tell, accessories and options don't seem to drive the price of these cars, uniformly that is. Mileage seems to be the main factor that dictates the price.

Would 40,000 miles for an 06 be too many miles on this car?
Do any of you have high mileage right now and if so, how does the car look, feel and perform after so many miles? motor, suspension, interior etc...

I know it is all about the proper care and maintenance of the vehicle but I just want to hear some real time testimonies. Thanks for all of your inputs so far.

R/
skip
Old 08-10-08, 08:45 PM
Likecars
Rookie

" Would 40,000 miles for an 06 be too many miles on this car?
Do any of you have high mileage right now and if so, how does the car look, feel and perform after so many miles? motor, suspension, interior etc...

R/
skip"

No, but you can find plenty below that. Having just spent the last 2 months looking at the SOCAL market, I found the average was 30k miles for the 06s.

Rim damage was the major flaw I noticed, seems many folks are not use to driving with low profile tires.

As you know, the price will be tied to that milage number. Good luck.
Old 08-10-08, 08:59 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I can tell, accessories and options don't seem to drive the price of these cars, uniformly that is. Mileage seems to be the main factor that dictates the price.

Would 40,000 miles for an 06 be too many miles on this car?

R/
skip
Options add very little to the price of a used car, they are lost 'investments'. Mileage and condition are paramount in the price.

'06's are 2 to 2 1/2 years old, so 40,000 would be a bit more than average, but I wouldn't rule one out with this much mileage. If in good condition, and properly maintained, any Lexus should be able to roll 150,000 mi with little more than general maintenace.
Old 08-21-09, 06:14 PM
chViETnk
Driver School Candidate

Default Possible New Owner! need advice. Thanks!

hey, im looking at a 2006 is350 tomorrow, with 55k miles. i was wondering what i should be looking for as far as problems would be. i know it is out of standard warranty so i wanted to double check with you guys on your thoughts. i believe there is still a 75k mile warranty on power train, correct me if im wrong.

cliff notes: looking at a 06 is350 55k miles, out of standard warranty, any issues as far as electrical problems, any recalls, bugs, glitches, anything else i should look for. thank you
Old 08-21-09, 06:25 PM
OH Nasty
Driver

It's a Lexus. That about sums up all your questions, I don't believe there is a 75k powertrain warranty or at least I have never heard about that, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-21-09, 06:30 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

u are test driving it so drive it like u stole the car. make sure all switches work. Check the tires if there are any treads left. Do not get suckered in for the aftermarket warranty. ask for ALL paperwork of maintenance done to car. Ask for the history report, carfax etc. Do no drive with the radio on, that will just hide any engine / axle / cabin noise.
Lastly negotiate the best you can! Price is ALWAYS negotiable. If not, then wow, I would be really surprised.
GL with everything. DO NOT LOOK LIKE U ENJOY THE CAR. i know that will be tough cause i was smiling the entire time i test drove my 350 =)
Old 08-21-09, 06:41 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ i think he was talking about the maintenance aspect of the vehicle...

anyways, a carfax report would be a good starting point.

if you're buying it as a CPO (certified pre-owned) lexus, it should have gone through a thorough inspection process. however, a second - and even - third careful and thorough glance at the car should be done.

also, take the VIN of the 2is to your local service center and ask them to provide a service record and/or warranty-related repairs record. if the vehicle was serviced at an authorized lexus service center, they should have its maintenance records.

also, during your test drive make sure to take it on surface streets and freeways. surface street speeds may not reveal certain sounds that freeway speeds will. however, DON'T drive it like you stole it (read: break traffic laws). that's not only dangerous but also disrespectful, and if you end up not buying that car you're doing the next owner a disservice. and remember, what goes around, comes around.

also, powertrain warranty for a 2006 is350 is 70k miles, not 75k.
Old 08-21-09, 06:42 PM
chViETnk
Driver School Candidate

OH Nasty - just because it is a lexus doesnt mean it has no problems, i can care less what brand it is, all cars are prone to problems.

funnie - thanks for the general info but im trying to get more in dept as to problems with the is350 more specific, i already know to look for the obvious of buying a used car but i want to know if there are any problems such as the transmission, electrical issues, etc that are common among is350/250 owners

projectdna - its from a used car dealer lot with 1 owner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)