IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 f sport or bmw 335i

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 09:43 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 335 sedan loaded with mpackage.navi and all that is around 52 53. when i went car shopping.

2011 is350 fport pack, is about 45k. Msport package is nearly 4k i believe.
Old 06-14-11, 09:47 PM
peteypablo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Handling is way better on IS350
Old 06-15-11, 08:36 AM
juxtapose
Rookie

Show = Is 350 if you plan on getting some nice wheels and coilovers then 350 all the way and less about performance. 335i can easily be a m3 contender depending on how much you want to mod. I agree with the electronic issues some of the members have brought up. But personally i m just not happy with some of capabilities of the IS350 including the lame paddle shifters that doesn't do a dam thing. Honestly since both are due for a remodel soon why not just hold out a little longer
Old 06-15-11, 10:23 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought that the current generation 3 is new, but it's actually the 5 that's just been redesigned.

@calvin2376, you're right. My wife's 323ci is a 2000 and she loves the looks of that car more than any BMW.. probably won't change cars unless it dies. I totally agree also that the interior of a car matters because you spend a large majority of the time in it; why I bought an IS instead of a STi or Evo X or any other car that's faster and more fun to drive.

I guess I'm just voicing my opinion in comparison to my wife. She LOVES her car. I like my car. There were just too many little things that were off. The interior is great and we'll see how it lasts in another 5 years, but I can't get over the fact that they did a crap job with the transmissions. My MT is never smooth (maybe it will be if I replace the clutch/flywheel). The AT is smooth on auto, but requires floor mashing for the tranny to recognize that it should downshift. The response with the paddles are just dismal (feels like almost a 1 sec delay). Granted, I've only driven the AT in a 250 (loaner car), so maybe the tranny doesn't need to work so hard with a 350. I've noticed that the AT in a 335i is really responsive.
Old 06-15-11, 10:51 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

^ Yup, I'd have to agree...Ive driven the 328i, 335i and 335d (all AT), and I'd have to say, aesthetics aside, BMW did a phenomenal job on the car's performance and feel. I understand why there are so many BMW fans out there. The cars are very powerful, quick, smooth, and a very firm ride overall. The 335i is STUPID fast. I know it's supposed to be about the same as an IS350, but to me, the 335i just feels much quicker and more responsive. The 335d was quite possible the scariest thing I've experienced. The low end power on that is phenomenal. The 328i was obviously not as fantastic as the latter two, but it's a good ride on it's on right.
With that said, I don't think I can be a BMW owner for one reason: interior. The interior feels bland and poorly designed. The control mechanism for navigation was very hard to use and not intuitive at all...Touchscreen navigation >>>>> **** controls. The gauge cluster and dash glows orange... come on BMW...orange is not a pretty color to see at night. Yes it's supposed to be easy on the eyes...but at least give buyers other options for different colors.

My dad LOVES his e46 M3 though. I don't think he'd trade that car for anything until it dies on him (it's only at 25k miles...so....). I really like the styling on those cars, much nicer than the current e90s.

So...If you care about performance over everything, I think the BMW would be a good choice. If style is a concern, well...pick whatever you think looks best. I, as well as many people I'm sure, prefer the look of the IS.
Old 06-15-11, 11:32 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My total biased and Lexus fanboyism opinion says to go with the IS.

Let us know what the BMW forums say.
Old 06-15-11, 11:44 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by micel
The Audi s4 has a '10 body, so it will be cur.rent for 3+ years.The Audi only costs 10k more where the bimmer is ready for a new model and it costs 15k more than the IS350.If money is a issue get a infinity g37.For the car with lowest cost to own over a five year period,Lexus IS350!
I'm sorry I just had an S4 and while it was nice to drive those cars fall apart at 40k along with the rest of Audis. It can't even hold a candle to an IS350 as far as reliability.
Old 06-15-11, 11:49 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by langjaykev
a 335 sedan loaded with mpackage.navi and all that is around 52 53. when i went car shopping.

2011 is350 fport pack, is about 45k. Msport package is nearly 4k i believe.
Really? I would have expected the Fsport pack to be more. My 2007 was 43,982 so pretty much 44 on the sticker.
Old 06-15-11, 11:54 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

I like BMW's but man after that warranty is gone... geez... parts, labor and up keep will kill you. But I still plan on getting a E63 in the near future.
Old 06-15-11, 03:41 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 650IS350
I like BMW's but man after that warranty is gone... geez... parts, labor and up keep will kill you. But I still plan on getting a E63 in the near future.
HA. I'm sorry, but this is a dreadful idea if you care at all about reliability and parts/labor costs, as you seem to. Mercedes is just as bad if not worse as far as parts, labor, and upkeep. My last car was an '03 E55, and it was a nightmare. Parts that should have lasted 100k or more just all started failing at 50-60k, and my car was no lemon - everyone on the forums was having the same issue. Fun fact: when you go onto extended warranty websites to look at quotes on cars, and you select Mercedes-Benz, in the model drop-down box, there's often just a selection for "AMG". These companies make no distinction between the AMG models, because 1) they're all of notoriously iffy reliability and 2) they're unfathomably expensive to repair. Most companies I checked with wouldn't even warranty the car, even though it was only at 60k miles. The ones that would warranty it essentially asked me to sign over my firstborn.

All I'm saying is, don't lament the high labor and parts costs of BMW and then in the same breath say you're planning on getting an AMG.
Old 06-15-11, 09:30 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO Mercedes are all p.o.s. My sister had a new E-class and got rid of it after 5 months. She had 3 BMWs prior and they are night and day better than Mercedes...and they still are junk. If you want reliability, you must go with a Japanese made car.
Old 06-16-11, 12:36 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

After reading 2 pages of your thread you should really consider using the search button and google. You're not new to this forum so you should already know, use the search button. This is something most people learn in their first thread. Most everything you have said and asked could have been answered if you took the time to look around yourself.... Quit asking questions and just go drive them both and go from there. Everyones gonna say the same things- Lexus has a better warranty and reputation for reliability.
BMW will handle better and be faster, its more mod friendly but more mods=more risk of failure. I personally think the 335 looks and drives much better than the IS (From an aggressive standpoint).
As someone who has hammered on both cars, raced in and against both cars in canyons, straight lines, on tracks and on the streets, the more fun car is the 335i hands down.
Now you have to make the call ask to what you want. Fun car with lots of potential and the risk of problems or a comfortable car that can hold its ground against most cars but has reached its justifiable potential from the factory.
Old 06-16-11, 10:27 AM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by windex
After reading 2 pages of your thread you should really consider using the search button and google. You're not new to this forum so you should already know, use the search button. This is something most people learn in their first thread. Most everything you have said and asked could have been answered if you took the time to look around yourself.... Quit asking questions and just go drive them both and go from there. Everyones gonna say the same things- Lexus has a better warranty and reputation for reliability.
BMW will handle better and be faster, its more mod friendly but more mods=more risk of failure. I personally think the 335 looks and drives much better than the IS (From an aggressive standpoint).
As someone who has hammered on both cars, raced in and against both cars in canyons, straight lines, on tracks and on the streets, the more fun car is the 335i hands down.
Now you have to make the call ask to what you want. Fun car with lots of potential and the risk of problems or a comfortable car that can hold its ground against most cars but has reached its justifiable potential from the factory.
+1 on that that's the reason why i pick my Lexus is because of lower risk of problems... And yes i do like the 335xi coupe a lot but i don't want have risk with all the potential problems
Old 06-16-11, 11:06 AM
350FSport
Driver

I never drove a 335i, but I am confused on how it could be SO superior in drivability with 6 less ponies? To hear some speak it is like night and day difference. I went on BMW's website and the look and style of the 4-door 335i is just bleh. I see 800 of them a day. The interior is almost painful to look at.

I really hope Lexus does something special with the 3IS, to close the perceived drivability gap. When my lease is up 2014 I am hoping to score a 3IS-F
Old 06-16-11, 11:10 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

I had an 07 335i and now have a 09 E350 Sport. Went from a sports sedan to an old man's sedan. I did not have any problems or out of pocket expenses with the BMW, but then again, I only had it for 2 years and 24K miles. Same with the Benz so far. The Benz is a solid car and has a solid feel. I'm not sure about the weight, but it feels quite a bit heavier than the 335i or my wife's 11 IS350C. I don't care about reliability after the warranty, as I don't keep cars that long. However, my wife does, so the IS350C should serve us well. I think MB has fixed a lot of the problems from years ago, or at least that's my perception with my car to date.

335i-fun car to drive. handled like it was on rails.
E350-solid and great cruising car. feels like you're in a tank (safety wise)
IS350C-great hardtop convertible. fun to drive with plenty of power. Interior is the best of all three.

I'm starting to look for my next car and am thinking that the Chevy Volt might be the ticket if the $7.5k tax credit is available next year. With my driving patterns, the only gas we would then be buying would be for the IS. Haven't driven one yet, so that might change once I drive it!

Quick Reply: IS350 f sport or bmw 335i