Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would get ML thats all im missing
Old 05-13-11, 05:55 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the rubber trim around the windshield. If it's cracking (which it probably is) make them replace it for free.
Old 05-13-11, 05:55 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Drive the car on bumpy roads with the radio off and listen for rattles and creaking. They sounds get annoying. Drive with the sunroof open and windows closed. See if the rear view mirror shakes. If so, have them update to a 2010 or newer mirror. They will do it under a TSB. The shake won't go away but it will be a lot better.
Old 05-13-11, 06:03 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just wish i have turn signal on the side mirrors and the '11 headlights, other than that i'm satisfied with what my car came from the factory hehe.
Old 05-13-11, 06:17 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

If I had it to do over again, I would definately go with a lighter color. Stay away from black.
Old 05-13-11, 06:19 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I woulda gotten a 350 instead of 250. sport package + ML. Nothing else.
Old 05-13-11, 07:40 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Okay so from what I see outside of normal car inspection this is what I gather

1. Get a 350 over a 250 -not an issue, I'm only looking at 350's
2. ML stereo is desirable-comes with a lux pkg that also has sun shade and auto tilt mirrors
3. check out windshield trim for cracking-is this a common issue?
4. normal check for squeaks and rattles
5. drive with SR open and windows closed to seek if rearview mirror shakes which can be replaced with TSB

So if I understand memory seats are not standard not is a power tilt and telescoping steering wheel
Old 05-13-11, 09:03 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aslowdodge
Okay so from what I see outside of normal car inspection this is what I gather

1. Get a 350 over a 250 -not an issue, I'm only looking at 350's
2. ML stereo is desirable-comes with a lux pkg that also has sun shade and auto tilt mirrors
3. check out windshield trim for cracking-is this a common issue?
4. normal check for squeaks and rattles
5. drive with SR open and windows closed to seek if rearview mirror shakes which can be replaced with TSB

So if I understand memory seats are not standard not is a power tilt and telescoping steering wheel
As someone who just recently bought a used 350 a few months ago and have had quite a few issues with it, I have some thoughts, in no particular order:

1) Check windshield trim/molding: here's a thread that shows pics of what you're looking for, and yes it's a very common issue https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...blem-pics.html

2) Dash rattle: drive the car over uneven surfaces and push on the dash so it flexes up and down at all points of the dash (in front of driver, in the center of the dash, and on the right side). If the dash rattles, creaks, or squeaks when you drive over uneven surfaces or you push on the dash at any point, you need both TSIB L-SB-0090-08 (Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise) and TSIB L-SB-0044-08 (Instrument Panel Rattle) performed immediately and without question. This is a very common, and unbelievably irritating issue (my car's been in 5 separate times for it). Repair of this issue would cost you $1000+ out of pocket.

3) When you find a car you like, go to Lexus.com and the owner's section and sign up as an owner and input the VIN of the car you're looking at to obtain the detailed Lexus service history. This is far more useful and reliable than CarFax (but not bulletproof). Read it carefully. Ensure that there are no open recalls. I also recommend you take note of each TSIB that's been performed on it and post that list to this thread so people can take a look and see if anything's missing or looks off. For example, if your car hasn't had the cam gear/engine grinding noise TSIB performed (L-SB-0156-08) performed, then there's a high likelihood it'll need to be performed at some point, and if the car's out of warranty then it'll be very expensive (just to note, this particular TSIB is covered by the powertrain warranty which is at least 6 yr/70k miles)

4) This isn't applicable if you're buying from a dealer, but if you're buying from a private party check with them to see whether the car has the extended powertrain warranty to 100k miles which Lexus offered as compensation for the valve spring recall which affected IS350 owners. If the car does have this warranty, it's transferable to you (as long as the previous owner is the owner under which the issue occurred and warranty was issued, I believe it's only transferable to one more owner). In some cases owners received $500 gift cards in lieu of the extended warranty.

5) Get the car inspected by a different Lexus dealer. Just tell them you want a pre-purchase inspection, it might cost an hour's labor but it's worth it. Also, I've read quite a few (too many) stories on CL of people buying cars they were told (both by the dealer and CarFax) that the car was accident-free but later found it had been in major accidents. This has even happened quite a few times on CPO cars. After reading those stories, if I were in your shoes I'd personally ask the dealer to remove both the front and rear bumper and allow you to take a look at it and confirm there's no evidence of prior accidents. You could also of course have a different shop/dealer do this. Obviously this is up to you, just a thought. You can't confirm of course just by looking under the bumpers that it wasn't in an accident, but front and rear collisions are the most common and are often relatively easy to spot evidence of.

6) Check the trunk lip spoiler (if equipped) and ensure the adhesive isn't wearing down and the ends are peeling up.

7) I highly, highly recommend getting a car with either a CPO or VSA extended warranty. If the car you're looking at is not CPO, then prior to purchase call Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota and at least get a quote on a Platinum VSA for your car so you can make an informed decision. The 2IS is reliable but it has common issues like any car. But with Lexus, these common issues can be HUGELY expensive. The nav system, which many people have had problems with on their 2IS, can cost $2,000 to replace. Even other uncommon, otherwise small issues can arise that are costly. A month after I bought my CPO car, I got a CEL, and the dealer told me my gas cap was cracked and needed to be replaced. Total cost was $400, everything was covered by warranty.

This is a good thread to read on Lexus warranties (and includes Jerry Johnson's info: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-warranty.html)

That's all I got for now. Sorry if it's long, but I've had quite an experience with my 350 and want to save you some headaches. I still love my car.

As far as options on the car, my car has everything but ML, and the sound system is fine but I do wish I had ML. I highly recommend the Luxury Package.

Keep us updated about your search.
Old 05-13-11, 09:53 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

No apologies needed.

Thank you for the detailed post.

I am looking at 2 cars tomorrow and that will be very helpful.
If you want to post more feel free. I can use all the help as I am new to the IS350.
Old 05-13-11, 10:02 PM
twenty
Pole Position

- ML
- Laser Cruise
- Nav

I still love my car to pieces, and have no plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.
Old 05-13-11, 10:21 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you get ML without the touchscreen nav unit? I know it's fancy but once it goes, so goes $2G's...

also, if turning off traction control is important to you it is easiest to do it in a 07+ model year...
Old 05-14-11, 12:24 AM
J_Hao
Driver

Originally Posted by Rykster
If I had it to do over again, I would definately go with a lighter color. Stay away from black.
Exactly, I would definitely stay away from black
Old 05-14-11, 12:52 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the car... but I kinda wish I got the Nav with backup camera and Auto tilt mirrors in reverse ...

I can live without those... but its nice to have
Old 05-14-11, 01:40 AM
Highburny
Driver School Candidate

Being from the UK, can someone tell me what the clear bra is?

Sorry for the hijack!

Quick Reply: If you bought one all over again . .