IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Is350 starts without key in proximity

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 07:13 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the secret compartment where the ML subwoofer sits but is an empty space in non-ML cars?
Old 05-12-11, 07:15 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JONSOO
I'm taking the seats out today. Taking it to the dealer would be too embarrasing.
Before you do all that work, did you call the auction people or the transport company yet? Not sure if you saw my other post:

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Wait. Doesn't the transport NEED the keys in order to steer it straight and/or be able to unlock the steering wheel and get it into neutral in order to move the car off of the transport? I believe they most certainly do. Call transport company and ask them where they usually plant the key upon delivery. Or have the auction place do the footwork.
Don't they need the key (or fob) so they can start the car and unlock the steering wheel in order to get it on and off the truck?

Perhaps there's a usual place they put the spare upon delivery.
Old 05-12-11, 07:21 AM
JONSOO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know. The Lexus dealer will be my last option if I don't come up with them today. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 05-12-11, 07:25 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Also be aware that the previous owner could've had a Smart Card key, so you'll wanna look out for that slim item while you search the car as well.
Old 05-12-11, 07:26 AM
JONSOO
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONSOO
I'm taking the seats out today. Taking it to the dealer would be too embarrasing.

Before you do all that work, did you call the auction people or the transport company yet? Not sure if you saw my other post:

Quote:
Wait. Doesn't the transport NEED the keys in order to steer it straight and/or be able to unlock the steering wheel and get it into neutral in order to move the car off of the transport? I believe they most certainly do. Call transport company and ask them where they usually plant the key upon delivery. Or have the auction place do the footwork.

Don't they need the key (or fob) so they can start the car and unlock the steering wheel in order to get it on and off the truck?

Perhaps there's a usual place they put the spare upon delivery.

F-Sport: wheels 19" | BBK | exhaust | sway bar kit | carbon fiber shift **** | mats | springs | shocks | intake

I called the auction and am waiting a response. I had one key, manuals, and shifter **** mailed to me before the car arrived. The transport driver told me he nerver had the key. It's obvious to me that the key is in the car somewhere from the front seat forward because you can't open the trunk manually from the rear because the sensor doesn't setect it.
Old 05-12-11, 07:36 AM
JONSOO
Driver School Candidate

Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were tucked inside the carpet by the pedals. That was driving me crazy! Thanks everyone for all the advise! I can get some sleep now.
Old 05-12-11, 07:39 AM
DiDiMau
Driver

awesome glad you found it!!! go get some sleep
Old 05-12-11, 07:39 AM
Micaiah

Oh that's awesome!! Congrats! What made you look there, was there a lump?
Old 05-12-11, 07:40 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha congrats, glad you can rest easy!
Old 05-12-11, 07:41 AM
Micaiah

You know what? Come to think of it, that's scandalous. That's an easy way to steal a car if you have a dirty worker at the auction place. They have your address and can have someone take your car and chop shop it. They should have told you about it. That's messed up.
Old 05-12-11, 07:43 AM
JONSOO
Driver School Candidate

No lump in the carpet. I just saw where the carpet ended by the pedals and peeled back the carpet a bit. they were burried about 4 inches under the carpet.
Old 05-12-11, 07:47 AM
JONSOO
Driver School Candidate

I gotta think the transport driver threw them on the floor and when he got in the car he kicked them forward and they got lodged in there. I don't think the auction did anything. I have a dealership and floor planned the vehicle so my account with the auction is good. Anyway I'm glad it's over. Now I can trick it out like my 250. Let the mods begin!
Old 05-12-11, 07:48 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

You know what? Come to think of it, that's scandalous. That's an easy way to steal a car if you have a dirty worker at the auction place. They have your address and can have someone take your car and chop shop it. They should have told you about it. That's messed up.
Perhaps it was the previous owner. Maybe they didn't like carrying the FOB around and this was their solution to make life easier for them
Old 05-12-11, 07:52 AM
JONSOO
Driver School Candidate

Or maybe the dealer I bought it from at the auction couldn't find the keys either and thats why he sold the car. He though something was wrong lol!
Old 05-12-11, 07:53 AM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Wow what an adventure lol

Quick Reply: Help! Is350 starts without key in proximity