IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Is350 starts without key in proximity

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 08:34 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you can always wait until the key runs out of power ;p lol (this will take about 2-3 years if the battery is fresh).

honestly you're going to have to check through every single compartment. Check through the following: (Do not drive the car until you've found it as it might shift locations from your car moving about)

Under the seat: Make sure to raise the seat as high as possible. Also move it all the way forwards and all the way backwards to check through. Make sure to bring a flashlight too and check the sides of the seats and underneath. Double check.

Glove compartment: Pretty straight forward. Take everything out of the box. Also since this is the compartment that might have the leather booklet, take everything you can find out of the car until the green light no longer shows.

Side compartments: You can pull these guys slightly outwards to look into them for the key.

Back from the front seats: They might have jammed the key into this pocket. You never know so make sure you dig through 2-3 times to make sure.

Front center console: Make sure to again check through here. Maybe it's hidden under papers or CD's if you have those in there.

Cup holder: Open it if you haven't done so already

Front Ashtray: Dig around in here. If the ashtray's in there, the key might not fit in there but maybe they left the ashtray out and left the key in?

Rear ashtray: Same as front ashtray but I don't think you can fit it in there. Actually come of it, is there a rear ashtray? lol

Rear seat center console: Make sure to pull it down and open up the compartment. It's held down by a magnet so you can just lift it with a little muscle. Also push on the cup holders in the front in case they magically put it in there (Don't think you can but I figured I'd mention it)

Between seatbelts and seats: Maybe it jammed into the spaces between seats? Also where the rear seats are on the bottom by the seatbelts, there's a small leather flap. I believe it's for child restraints? (I'm 22 so I don't know how kids things work lol sorry). Lift these up and see if the key fell in there.

Trunk: If the trunk closes, the key is NOT in there. If it doesn't close, they key is within the trunk space.

I can't think of any other place it might be. But if you run through all those places carefully, you'll find your key
Old 05-11-11, 09:42 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is crazy! i wouldnt of been able to rest till i found they key. no way i leave my car unlocked on purpose
Old 05-11-11, 10:09 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Question/option for those that know...
Any chance the car has had a remote start installed? Seems I looked into this for my Audi, and they required a key to be boxed under the dash somewhere for it to work.

Not sure that is a option for a Lex with proximity system, but just trying to think of where that key could be for the OP.....

V
Old 05-11-11, 10:56 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

its somewhere between the seats....take ur center console apart.
as some one already mentioned i dont think u need to check as far back as the trunk...
Old 05-11-11, 11:06 PM
pli
Lead Lap

if the car has an aftermarket alarm, check the brain box of the alarm for the key. thats under your driver area, above the foot pedals. (again, thats only if you have an aftermarket alarm installed in it).
Old 05-11-11, 11:19 PM
DiDiMau
Driver

Subscribed, can't wait til op finds the key.
Old 05-11-11, 11:40 PM
mindf
Rookie

My car beeps when I tried to lock it from outside while the key is still sitting inside the center console.
Old 05-12-11, 12:32 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

if someone was screwing with you, they done a good job lol
Old 05-12-11, 05:59 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Come on OP! I'm glued, where is it??
Old 05-12-11, 06:22 AM
JONSOO
Driver School Candidate

DAY TWO UPDATE....

Thank you everyone who has given me suggestions. It has been at least 5 hours of ongoing searching for keys and I have come to the conclusion that the car is just haunted. It just came from auction... It's totally clean so there is nothing in the car. This is my 3rd IS so I'm no stranger to the car. I've even gone to the extreem of taking off panels and removing center console. I can't even lock the car because the sensor detects keys in the vehicle. I am all out of options.
Old 05-12-11, 06:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is taking it to the dealer an option?

I think I'd unbolt and remove the front seats - its not that difficult to do.

also look in the crack of the back seat.
Old 05-12-11, 06:45 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
Is taking it to the dealer an option?

I think I'd unbolt and remove the front seats - its not that difficult to do.

also look in the crack of the back seat.
That's what I was thinking. You should take out the seats and see if your car locks. I could be stuck in one of the seats.

Worst case ripe out the interior and strip the carpet. When I bought my car I found a little quarter sized hole in my carpet and when I replaced my pedals with the sports pedals a bolt fell in that hole. It took me forever to pull the bolt out without ripping the carpet out.
Old 05-12-11, 06:54 AM
JONSOO
Driver School Candidate

I'm taking the seats out today. Taking it to the dealer would be too embarrasing.
Old 05-12-11, 06:59 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably somewhere in the dash...
Old 05-12-11, 07:09 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were in your position I'd have no choice BUT to take it to the dealer at this point, since I live in the city and have to park outside and couldn't leave it unlocked and ready to drive!

I'm not sure taking it to the dealer would be embarrassing if you bought it at auction (there's no telling what could be going on with cars sold at auction) and since you're very familiar with the IS (you're obviously not an idiot, you've already done quite a bit of searching).

Quick Reply: Help! Is350 starts without key in proximity